New Whey liquid protein-my review

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
I had never seen or heard of it before. I was in costco getting my shakes(premier nutrition brand) and saw them. Hmmmm. 42 g protein in liquid form. Toss them in my cart.
I crack open the first one. It comes in a tube with a lid. Kind of like a giant test tube. Crack open the fruit punch. Take a sip. Oh my god is it SWEET! What??? There are like 2 g carbs. WTH? OK. I get over the sweetness and then an aftertaste hits. Not pleasant, but not send me to the bathroom to puke either. So I think "Well, maybe it won't be so sweet if I water it down." Put in about 1 pour of the shot to about 8 oz of water. Still really sweet, only now I have to taste the aftertaste with EACH SIP. OK-do NOT dilute it. Just suck it up and toss it back.
Next is watermelon. It doesn't taste like a jolly rancher, but it is way better than the fruit punch. Still an aftertaste, but flavor is better. OK. I know this time not to dilute it. I take 2 chugs, which is half the container. Stick the rest in the fridge. Take the rest when it is cold. WAY better cold.
This morning had the grape. Tastes like any old artificially flavored grape thing. Not bad.
So, I give them a 7 out of 10. HIGH marks because for such a little container, you get 42 g protein. -2 for the sweetness. -1 for the aftertaste. I drink 1/2 and then half later in the day. I have issues with whey protein--have to eat it on a full stomach or I'll get nauseated, so.... For whatever reason, the whey protein in the Premier nutrition doesn't bother me, Muscle Milk I cannot have at ALL, even on a full stomach. Figured I'd give a review in case anyone else is curious at Costco and doesn't want to buy 12 containers and not like it.

Replies

• tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Bump

I have tested a few powders and RTDs and I don't like them at all. My weightlift brother recommended this to me, but I was hoping to find out more from the experts here!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Despite the name, the New Whey liquid protein drinks are actually made mostly from collagen protein. I don't know much about it but a lot of people say that our bodies can't absorb and use collagen protein nearly as well as other sources of protein such as whey isolate, casein protein, etc.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    phd zero whey isn't made of collagen...its made from whey isolate. Its a great drink actually!! all flavours are great tasting, and if you don't want a milky drink they are a great stand by. I use them for work sometimes, when I cant get a lunch break. a whole 500ml bottle is under 200 calories, and they do the job of keeping you going :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Reading compression, I fail...