Unreliable Fitness Information

Options
My local newspaper runs a column every Friday breaking down the nutritional information about food in shops and restaurants. Quite often their analysis is very different from what each company or restaurant reports.

Today they reported on a large apple rolled in chocolate, almonds and crumbled Skor bits. The company's website said it contained about 300 calories, but when they analyzed it they found it had over 1500 calories and 90 grams of fat! They have reported similar things when people wrote in about things like scones that were supposed to have 300 calories (actual count - over 600).

I know that a few hundred calories extra once a week isn't the end of the world, but it can sure be confusing. Just yesterday I entered a recipe here and the MFP result was 60 calories a serving less than what the cookbook said, even when I double checked it. If I eat two servings a day (because I live alone and eat a lot of leftovers), that is a difference that can start to add up.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's why getting hung up on things like a few unpopped popcorn kernels becomes ridiculous. Everything we mark down is based on someone's estimate so it's all just an educated guess in the end.