Running and eating

shannahrenee
shannahrenee Posts: 380
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I started running 3 days a week and plan to up that to 4-5 days a week in about a month to continue my half marathon training. I'm totally enjoying the running but here's the problem, I'm eating my exercise calories but I'm still super hungry and I've stopped losing weight. What gives? Has this happened to anyone else? My coworker said while she was training for a half she didn't lose any weight and then once she stopped she lost like 8 lbs (she doesn't really watch what she eats though). Any thoughts/advice???

Replies

• I suspect that what's happening is that your body composition is changing - your body fat is probably reducing but your muscles are probably developing. As muscle is more dense than fat you will still see a positive change in body shape.

If you're really interested to know what's going on, get a body fat monitor and you may start to see your body fat % decline over time whilst your weight stays static.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Start taking your measurements! I stalled out when I started to exercise and just bounced around about two pounds. My measurements showed me I was still losing fat which really helped keep me motivated! I measure my neck, upper arms, bust, chest (ribs below bust), waist , hips and thighs.

I'm becoming a big believer in measurements!

Good luck!
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    I'm actually in the same boat- I'm training for a half marathon too. I've been upping my running from 20-25 miles a week to about 30-40 and I feel hungry ALL the time the last 2 weeks. I've been eating most my exercise calories, and trying to not eat them all when I can. I'm okay eating well for breakfast and lunch, but I exercise after work around 5-6 then I eat my "healthy" dinner, and after dinner I just want to SNACK SNACK SNACK! I actually read in a training book before that it can be difficult to lose weight while you are training because you are burning so many calories with long runs and your body instictively wants to eat more. I've heard its common to not drop any weight during training and then it comes off when you ease off.
  • I feel your frustration. The past two years I trained for a couple of marathons and halfs and experienced the same thing you are now. Because of the fact that you are burning so many calories per mile (appx 100 per mile), you're appetite will be increased.

I found it very hard to lose weight while running, and actually ended up gaining weight while training for all these marathons. My advice is to watch your calorie intake very closely and try to make all of your meals as healthy and fiberlicious so that you stay full longer.

Here is a link to a blog I read who explains just what you're talking about (and what I wish I knew before I started my marathoning journey)! http://www.sheddingit.com/2010/01/18/marathon-running-weight-loss/

Good luck:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.