tail bone hurting

Options
Anyone else have this problem? What can I do for it?
It used to only hurt when I would sit on hard surfaces, but today it has hurt all day. I just can't get comfortable

Replies

• aquariansmb
    aquariansmb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have/had a bad problem with this too...mostly because I lost a significant amount of weight but didn't actually build muscle at the same time. (I have since learned though!) I have been working out pretty heavily and gaining muscle in my rear, this has helped cushion the tailbone a lot. I don't know if you are already doing a lot of exercise but perhaps things to build up the muscle in the bum will help?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have/had a bad problem with this too...mostly because I lost a significant amount of weight but didn't actually build muscle at the same time. (I have since learned though!) I have been working out pretty heavily and gaining muscle in my rear, this has helped cushion the tailbone a lot. I don't know if you are already doing a lot of exercise but perhaps things to build up the muscle in the bum will help?

I do the compound lifts, but I'm still eatin at a deficit. I thought u had to eat a surplus to gain muscle? I doNt feel I'm at a good body fat % for tht. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I still feel pretty chubby.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My tailbone hurts any time anything even touches it. Just slouching on the couch hurts. I guess I could get a fat *kitten* to cushion it but otherwise I haven't found anything that helps. Even on the mats at the gym I can't stand to do sit ups or any of the yoga poses that you roll up.
  • momjeannes
    Options
    I had this problem for years and finally went to the dr for it. They sent me to physical therapy because it turned out one of my hips tilted in too much and it was putting strain on the muscles and nerves, and they were inflamed and couldn't recover. I did their therapy for a few months, was able to strengthen the hips/butt/pelvic muscles and I haven't had a problem since. Hard work, but worth it because I can sit now! Maybe a dr. could give you some exercises to help you out?
  • momjeannes
    Options
    Also, you want to be sure to have very supportive shoes when doing any high-impact stuff because of the jarring it could give your hips and lower back.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Mine is the actual tip of the tailbone. I can put my finger on the end of it and it hurts like hell. It's not a muscle or joint ache but the end of the bone hitting on anything I sit on. I've actually wondered if they can just remove the thing!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    My tailbone hurts any time anything even touches it. Just slouching on the couch hurts. I guess I could get a fat *kitten* to cushion it but otherwise I haven't found anything that helps. Even on the mats at the gym I can't stand to do sit ups or any of the yoga poses that you roll up.

Omg I am the exact same way!!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Mine is the actual tip of the tailbone. I can put my finger on the end of it and it hurts like hell. It's not a muscle or joint ache but the end of the bone hitting on anything I sit on. I've actually wondered if they can just remove the thing!

My is the actual bone too. I can feel it with my finger. Tho it doesn't hurt to touch it. Doesn't hurt when I standing either. Just when I sit ion certain places
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I've only noticed it since losing weight and working out. I have no idea what's causing it. It hurts when I sit down, touch it, or do any move during my workouts where I have to lean back on that area.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • littlebirdy1202
    Options
    I hear you...I have a similar problem, but I fell down a flight of hardwood stairs before I married and had kids ~ broke my tailbone. They said there is nothing you can do about it, but ice/heat and sit on a donut. A little over three weeks ago, I fell and landed hard on my tailbone AGAIN and am still in pain from it. Not as bad as at the beginning, but it still hurts. Ever since I broke my tailbone the first time sitting on hard surfaces has been uncomfortable. Since losing weight it hurts to sit on any surface that isn't cushioned. I'm guessing adding some muscle to the backside would be helpful and I'm working on it... I hope you get some relief soon.