BMR Rate and Daily Caloric Need numbers are a bunch of crap

Options

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow on your diary. The numbers arent crap <blunt alert> your diet is crap.

chocolate in the morning
    jack in box
    other crap

I was your size I have lost weight bout 58 lbs in 8 months. Is it easy to lose massive amounts? NOPE. Does it melt off in 4 months ? NOPE.

It does matter what you eat beside just calorie counting. I see my body as a machine, you put cheap crap in it you cant expect high performance.

I dont think people realize that its hard work on a body to maintain all your organs and bodily functions and now you're asking it to burn fat.

Put down the chocolates and fast food and get serious about NUTRITION and actually buy foods you need to prepare to eat and treat your body right.

Do I eat chocolate or ice cream? Hell yes every day but 90% of my food is fresh stuff I prepare.

The numbers work when you eat properly, exercise moderately and rest your body.

Good luck to you. I know how hard it is to lose weight and how frustrating it is when you arent losing it when you are trying so hard.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You are eating WAY below your BMR, lots of take out, chocolate bars and stuff like that. You need to eat a lot more, but not just junk food...it's about WHAT you eat so much more than simply eating under a certain calorie number. You need fruits and veggies.

There are tons of people on this site that this system has worked for so it's most definitely not crap. It just seems to me that you need to make some adjustments to what you're eating.

Thank you! I completely agree with you!

It does work for a lot of people. It uses numbers based on an average metabolism, so that is not a surprise.

It also *doesn't* work for a lot of people -- whether the site's average-BMR-based calculations yield numbers that are too high for their not-average metabolisms or too low -- but those people can still get a lot of good out of MFP, if they ignore the totally-irrelevant-to-them calculators.

I am delighted that the site's calculations work for you.

They don't for me; if I ate what MFP thinks I ought, I wouldn't fit through the door sideways.

They don't work for my best friend, a tiny 5'2 thing who is nearly as sedentary as a rock but who outeats many body-builders; if she tried to follow MFP's recommendations, she probably would starve.

Welcome to the bell curve.

I never said that it was an exact science and obviously there are people who it might not work for. Anyone who's talked about it anywhere I've seen has had to figure out what works for them, but the one thing I can guarantee is that eating fast food and junk food almost daily is NOT going to help anyone lose weight.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    First of all, I have always been told never to eat below your bmr and that is exactly what you did for 3 months. Did you drink enough water? What else were you drinking? What about sodium? Were you eating clean or a lot of processed stuff as well? I don't think it is just about the calories.... quality calories are super important, meaning the amount of calories in a salad is much better than the same number in chocolate! I bet if you ate above your bmr and below your tdee, you would lose weight, unless there is a medical reason.

One strongly suspects that there is a medical reason: Her BMR is not average, so the calculations don't work for her.

Certainly, the possibility of other issues should be ruled out -- people with pre-diabetes or PCOS, for instance, have a terrible time losing weight; metformin has been shown to be very helpful for them -- but her numbers do not seem so extreme as to indicate a serious metabolic issue.

One size really does not fit all.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    You could have a slower metabolism which is leading to a lower TDEE then you expect. You could also be underestimating food portions/overestimating exercise calories.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try upping your calories just yet as some have suggested. The first thing I'd try is following whatever MFP set for you (at 1 lb a week so you can get some math nailed down, you can always increase the rate to 2 later) and then stop eating out. Not because restaurant food is ruining you, but because it's extremely hard to estimate calories in restaurant food. Even restaurants that list their calorie counts are not going to be 100% accurate--variation in the way the cooks prepare them, how many condiments are added, if they changed any ingredients. Eat at home, measure the portions, eat what MFP tells you, and if you haven't seen in a loss in 2 weeks, ask your doctor. Also, if you are eating your exercise calories back, make sure you aren't overestimating them.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    You are eating WAY below your BMR, lots of take out, chocolate bars and stuff like that. You need to eat a lot more, but not just junk food...it's about WHAT you eat so much more than simply eating under a certain calorie number. You need fruits and veggies.

There are tons of people on this site that this system has worked for so it's most definitely not crap. It just seems to me that you need to make some adjustments to what you're eating.

It does work for a lot of people. It uses numbers based on an average metabolism, so that is not a surprise.

It also *doesn't* work for a lot of people -- whether the site's average-BMR-based calculations yield numbers that are too high for their not-average metabolisms or too low -- but those people can still get a lot of good out of MFP, if they ignore the totally-irrelevant-to-them calculators.

They don't for me; if I ate what MFP thinks I ought, I wouldn't fit through the door sideways.

They don't work for my best friend, a tiny 5'2 thing who is nearly as sedentary as a rock but who outeats many body-builders; if she tried to follow MFP's recommendations, she probably would starve.

I never said that it was an exact science and obviously there are people who it might not work for. Anyone who's talked about it anywhere I've seen has had to figure out what works for them, but the one thing I can guarantee is that eating fast food and junk food almost daily is NOT going to help anyone lose weight.

I never said eating junk food was healthful or (far less imprtantly) that it was especially conducive to weight loss.

(This is known as a "straw man" argument: positing something the other person did not say, then attacking it.)

I will say now, however, that I am appalled at the number of commenters who seem bent on attacking the OP. I am distressed that so many people have no advice to offer but that she should eat more. I am horrified at the number who feel competent to make sweeping statements about the OP's personal metabolic rate ("you eating WAY below your BMR" -- were that true, she would be losing weight, at least initially), and issue blanket condemnations of anyone for whom one small part of the MFP system does not work.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Worst comes to worst, you will have a bunch of data, in official-looking printable form, that should be very helpful if/when you talk to your doctor and possible future nutritionist.

Having the MFP reports should help cut down on *them* insisting you must really eat more than you say. That aline could save you *months*.

(Should you decide to go looking for a new eating plan on your own, instead, the Leptin Diet works for a lot of people.)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your post but I may add that you might try eating fruits, veges, and legumes and cut out high sodium and processed foods. Every calorie isn't created equal. I can eat 1700 calories of meat, bread, and milk products and not lose a thing and then I can eat fruit, veges, legumes, tofu, and nuts, and the occasional potatoes and rice and the weight drops off.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Calorie counts do work for the majority of people. That and exercise. So, it's not total crap, though I understand the frustration that would have you label it that way. You are right that it doesn't work across the board. Respectfully, I think your next step is to see your physician and, possibly, a nutritionist to go through your statistics and help you craft a food plan that will work towards your goals.

I hope the number starts to move for you and wish you the best towards your goal.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    BTW:

"I'm sure you can tell I'm a little bit
    irritated. I did math. For nothing."

Love this! Glad you're keeping your sense of humor. :-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Diet is 70% of the equation.
    You don't have that under control.
    eat whole single ingredient foods 80% of the time.
    eat 1600-1800 daily.
    Enjoy fat loss.

Oh!
    Pick stuff up and walk 10k steps a day.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    I am not so sure why you are so strongly set againt this person eating more.
    Why does this person try it for two weeks and see. What they did for 90 days did not work so why not try. I am telling you it helped me. Keep in mind I do not eat out (twice in 12 weeks) I also eat very clean and make most of my meals from scratch no processed stuff.
    BUT why you keeps sayings this is wrong to suggesting eat say 250 more and just try for 2 weeks and see really whats the problem 90 days did not get the job done. I see such strong feelings about this. I am not saying do not visit your dr we have the solution, come on of course this person should see dr. and eat better ect, but one more suggest heck while we are at it they should up there water too.

I never said eating junk food was healthful or (far less imprtantly) that it was especially conducive to weight loss.

(This is known as a "straw man" argument: positing something the other person did not say, then attacking it.)

I will say now, however, that I am appalled at the number of commenters who seem bent on attacking the OP. I am distressed that so many people have no advice to offer but that she should eat more. I am horrified at the number who feel competent to make sweeping statements about the OP's personal metabolic rate ("you eating WAY below your BMR" -- were that true, she would be losing weight, at least initially), and issue blanket condemnations of anyone for whom one small part of the MFP system does not work.
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    First thing - Thank you, everyone, for the good advise, even that which sounded a little harsh.

I think anyone could agree that most of the time people who express a desire to lose weight are told that all you have to do to lose weight is "do the math". Then when it becomes obvious that "the math" is failing somewhere along the line, all of a sudden its now important what kind of food you get the calories from. Then, the deluge of information about the evils of carbs, chocolate, red meat, fat, sugar of any kind, alcohol, wheat, gluten, and a miriad of other foods comes crashing down like an avalanche of judgement on the poor jerk who *still* has yet to shed a pound despite now have hypertension from fear of eating the "wrong" things.

I'm afraid my original post was born from the frustration of being told for the thousandth time that I just need to "do the math". If calories eaten - calories burned = calorie deficit was the only deciding factor, I should be thinner. I have never been a person who hides from the truth - I learn from mistakes, make changes, and head for success at full speed.

That being said, I hope you guys will be happy to know that I:

A, Asked my doctor to test me for insulin resistance
    B. Cooked my week's meals ahead this Sunday to avoid the trap of fast food
    C. Ordered a food scale I can carry with me
    D. Am concentrating on more water intake
    E. Am evaluating my carbohydrate intake to see where I can start to shave them off
    F. Joined a gym closer to my work so I can actually find the time to do it (my husband was recently paralyzed in an accident at home and I am his sole caregiver along with a full time job and a 10 year old daughter so please no replies about how I need to stop making excuses and make the time :)
    G. Had my thyroid tested - I'm at a perfect TSH level
    H. Have realized that I seem to go on strings of 5-7 days during which I religiously eat around 1000 calories and then lose my patience and eat fast food like a demon, ie the last 4 days so am focusing on less deprivation and more consistancy

Two more things, if you will have patience with me. I eat that one peice of sugar free dark chocolate covered almonds in the morning because my doctor told me to do so every day for my health, although I do admit to enjoying it with my coffee. If one peice of sugar free chocolate on a daily basis (the calories in which are faithfully recorded and accounted for) will keep me fat for the rest of my life, then surely not eating it for most of my life would have resulted in a slim, svelte figure to rival that of Heidi Klum. LOL

I am still not convinced of the validity of BMR rates and Daily Caloric Need calculations, but I promise I'll keep trying. And I'll keep my dairy open in spite of the fact that I'm tempted to snap it shut like a frightened clam! LOL

Happy Sunday everybody; Wish me luck!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Did you measure and weigh all your foods? If it's not accurate...the calories aren't, and your loss wont be either
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Here's the experiment I have done.

I logged my calories for roughly 90 days between Aug 1 and October 26. I plugged those numbers into an excel spreadsheet and got an average caloric intake of 1428. This number is not taking into account any calories spent in exercise.

According to every BMR calculator, my BMR is 1787. To get your Daily Caloric Need number, you supposedly take that number and multiply it by 1.2. That means I should need to eat 2144 calories per day to MAINTAIN my weight of 230.

On August 1, I weighed 230 pounds. Today, I weigh 230 pounds.

You are eating too few calories - you should not eat below your BMR or your body gets all screwed up - hence, no weight loss.

Eat over the BMR for 30 days and see what I mean.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this one for BMR and TDEE? http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Good luck to you! :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Works for me, almost like clockwork. Chances are you're mislogging your calories consumed. If so, you would not be alone, as this is the #1 cause of calorie-counting not working.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    To the OP, first of all I want to say great attitude. Typically people get responses like you got, get offended and don't take any of the advice. It seems like you're taking everyone's opinion into account and trying to apply them. And it really is about the math, but unfortunately not everybody has the same formula. I hope you're able to find the right balance of calories eaten vs those burned and lose weight. Good luck!
  • perfecttwelve
    perfecttwelve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am really motivated by this thread. To think that someone has been so diligent for so long despite not seeing any losses on the scale and still keeps plugging on, plus asks for help and actually implements those suggestions ... I have to say it's refreshing. Off to send you a friend request!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump