Getting an accurate calorie loss count during exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,726 Member
    Options
    Not having a HRM, I go by what the machines at the gym say. MFP burn rates are seriously inflated for the elliptical cross trainer, in my opinion. I guess the machine reading is reasonably accurate, because I am losing at my weekly goal rate despite eating back exercise calories.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A HRM is probably the best way to get an accurate count. I stopped using mine because it was saying that I might burn about 200 calories an hour while doing very hard dancing. Just didn't seem right.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Depends on the activity I am doing, if road running will use endomondo figures. if on stationary bike or treadmill will usually go with that figure, if doing another activity ie strength training or rugby training/match etc, will usually reduce mfp figure by 1/3 to 1/2 and go with that.

Would rather be underestimating calories burnt while am in weight loss mode than overestimating, not that I often eat back my calories anyway.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I see huge differences between the elliptic cal count and MFP.
    However, it has worked for me and I have lost weight.
    I realize I sweat more doing spinning. But who knows?
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the number on the cardio machines. Too inaccurate to go by it. And to an extent even a heart rate monitor. What I do is take the heart rate monitor cal burned number and subtract about 20% from it. Apparently studies have shown a 15-20 % readings on the high side for these devices. So I work a little harder to burn more calories since I'm subtracting 20% but at the end of the day figure that is only a good thing if I'm potentially under estimating than over estimating.