Rest day???

Options
Does anybody else exercise everyday of the week intensely or is it just me?:huh: Do I really need to give my body a rest day? Any advise would be greatly appreciated, Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Yes, you should give your body a rest day. It helps repair your muscles and helps keep you from getting burned out. You can overtrain.
  • tchau812
    Options
    Rest days are nice. IT gives time for your muscles to recover so the next workout will be beastly!
  • chasterson
    Options
    I workout 4 days a week and the other 3 I do "active rests" 1 hour walk, hike, job.. or you could do 20-30 of High intensity interval training... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    depends on what you're doing
    if it's like, 30 minutes of elliptical every day then you probably don't really need a rest day.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This was exactly the question I was looking for. I too am wondering if the rest day is necessary, as I find I lose my motivation if I skip a day.

Right now, I'm doing JM 30 Day Shred, level 1, and also taking a 2.5 mile uphill/downhill walk. I also just discovered Butt Bible level 1, and was hoping to add that to my daily routine. Would those three things still be considered mild enough to do every day without a skip day?
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I miss a day of "intense" excercise, it's mostly because of my schedule. But lately sometimes I will "rest" from running and try something else because I am having knee issues. I think getting at least 1 day a week rest from "planned" exercise would be good for your body - but you could still do something else fun or chores or something like that that is still kind of active.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A rest day is needed for your muscles to recover. It's actually when you're not exercising that your muscles and body react to the exercise you've been putting them through. However, it does also depend on the type of exercise you do. If you're doing high intensity interval training, rest days are definitely necessary. But the idea of rest days don't have to mean doing nothing that day, a light session of yoga or DVDs such as X Stretch from P90X can be used on a rest day. As it goes, 30 minutes a day of exercise is recommended, but this is the likes of walking, moving about, as opposed to throwing on an Insanity DVD or hitting it at the gym targeting specific muscle groups for an hour and a half. Muscle groups also need to rest and a break as well, so. If you're doing high intensity exercises everyday, take a rest day and do something like yoga, go for a walk, easy bike ride, etc. rest days don't mean giving it up completely for the day.
  • amandamcculloch
    Options
    Absolutely give yourself a rest day. Your muscles don't grow when you exercise, they grow when you rest. You're breaking them down while you're working out, and if you're never resting, you're never giving them a chance to repair.
    If you're really pushing yourself and training, you'll NEED a rest day ;)

You can always do moderate activity like walking, swimming, or housework.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I am a believer in rest days.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Love my rest days and always feel better after taking at least one day off. I always get at least one, sometimes two a week if I feel l need it. I recently took 4 full days off - would have taken the full week but had a color run that weekend - I came back feeling great and rested and strong.

Rest is good for ya!
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My two cents: I don't think a rest day is necessarily needed but variety definitely is!

Intensity should vary throughout the week, and probably so should the type of exercise. I haven't had any problems doing strenuous intervals most days in a row but I tend to think it is probably safer to do them no more often than every other day. Long slow exercise -- say at 60% of your maximal heart rate -- burns a lot of calories but can still function as a "rest day" if the other days are much more intense. A day of resistance training, or using the elliptical if you normally climb the stepmill, or rowing if you normally run on the elliptical -- these are good options too.

I have found that doing the exact same thing day in and day out (yeah, I've been there) leads to burnout more than it does to any actual injury.

If you use the "caveman/cavewoman" as a model of what humans probably evolved to be, I doubt they slept in one day a week -- that would pretty much mean a fasting and dehydration day, wouldn't it? But I doubt they ran up the same rocky slope chasing antelopes every single day either. I'll bet they said to themselves every so often, "I don't feel like steak today; I think I'll just head down to the berry patch instead!"
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I believe rest days are the best thing for your body. However I rarely take one.

My fear is that one rest day leads to two, then three, then a month of not exercising. This has happened to me in the past. So everyday I plan to exercise. From time to time I am too busy or my body just says "no way today" and a rest day just happens.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are as important as exercise days. I take at least one rest day every 7 day period. I feel refreshed and stronger after a rest day. It is also amazing if you take a longer rest (5 to 7 days) you may actually feel stronger and have better performance.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have only one rest day where I do absolutely nothing. Like another poster said, I am afraid if I rest more than one day I will get lazy and not want to get back in the gym so I make it a part of my every day routine. Friday is "date night" and that is the only night I take off unless the hubby is out of town.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy day at work on Fridays, so I don't go to the gym, but I do burn a lot of calories at work. And I still walk the dog and sometimes walk around the block at work, but I call it a rest day.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My body needs rest days. I also need to be able to juggle my schedule and not feel guilty for taking a day off from working out.