Transplant waiting list patients - need to lose weight?

Options
Hi everyone. I am waiting on a double lung transplant. I am in bed most of the time due to my bad breathing
and I can not do a lot. I go to Pulmonary Rehab and that is pretty much my gym. I am limited by my lung disease
to the extent that I do not answer doors, cook, i have to have help bathing and changing clothes is a huge chore.
Gets me seriously out of breath. While I am waiting for the donor call, I am supposed to lose 60 pounds so that
once I get my new lungs, I will be starting at a low weight as the anti-rejection drugs and steroids will cause me to
gain a lot of weight. I have lost some weight but am now at a standstill and need advise on what others have found
to be a success and maybe some more food ideas. I would love to hear from you. Thank you

Replies

• char_char_piper
    Options
    Bump!

:flowerforyou:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    We need more info. How many calories are you eating right now? What ratio of protein/carbs/fat? I would tend to suggest to eat MORE protein and less carbs if you're just going by what MFP gave you. What kinds of foods do you eat now? Maybe cutting down on the processed foods would help, if you eat those. Drinking more water is always good as well.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    80% of this is diet. 10% exercise. 10% genetics. Focus on the diet and you can lose the weight. Exercise has other benefits but right now it sounds like you need to just focus on whatever exercises your rehab people want you to do. That's okay. That won't stop your ability to lose these pounds.