harder to lose weight as you get older?

Options
Hi, Ive just joined after leaving weight watchers... sick of wasting money as not being very successful at the moment. my fault not theres!
Does any females out there find it harder to lose weight as you get older? not sure its an age thing or because im less active, suppose i was running around after kids when i was younger. Seem to lose a pound a week maximum whereas when i was younger i could lose 3lb no problem.

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, is that Newcastle upon Tyne you are from?

I know exactly what you mean, I put my usual 'Christmas weight' on this year and it just did not want to shift. A friend told me about MFP so I have been on here since June. I have lost 14-13 lbs as the weight comes off then goes back on. The good thing is that is it generally in a downward trend. As lots of people on here will testify, it does work and friends are here to help you on your way.:smile:
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It can get harder as we do naturally slow down as we get older, but if I can do it anyone can! I'll be 57 on Hallowe'en!

The secret is not to let any little setbacks get to you, look forwards, not back!

Good luck
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    This is normal. As you age, your BMR (basal metabolic rate - number of calories you burn by just existing) goes down, making it harder to lose weight since you have to eat less than you could at a younger age to achieve the same results. As a result, it's even more important to correctly log your food and workout burns than before.

That being said, definitely don't use age as excuse to not succeed. My grandmother is 68 years old, and she's lost a total of 65 lbs in less than a year by eating well, swimming, and walking. There are incredible women here over 50 who have done superb transformations as well.

You might just need a little more patience and diligence than before is all! :smile:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is harder! I think it's probably a mixture of different things - being less active, and getting older. We lose muscle as we get older, apparently, which doesn't help. I am losing weight (slowly!), but it's taken a bit of adjustment to realise that I can't eat the way I did when I was younger. I'm getting used to tiny portions.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    It is harder and mostly because of hormone fluctuations. Once we go through menopause we hang onto the body fat because that is where estrogen is stored. When the ovaries are no longer producing the body wants it from somewhere.

I read a book called Body for Life for women, that is want got me started in all this, written by a female Dr. And she addresses the serious stages in a women's life. How to adjust eating and exercise for each stage.

I am post meno so basically it is, #1 cut portions, get a scale and measuring cups and use them. The book gives you a way to eye ball it to keep it simpler, but I wanted to actually see what those portions looked like. I was way off in my estimations.
    #2 Cut carbs, only 2-3 servings of whole grain carbs a day. And if you are not losing you cut down to one to two per day. 2 fruit servings, lots of vegetables, and healthy amounts of protein and good fats.
    #3 exercise, with the goal of losing weight but also to exchange fat for muscle. Weights and low impact cardio.

And it is possible. I am 52 and have dropped almost 20 pounds and 2 pants sizes. Starting to get some muscle definition.

Hope that helps.
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    I'm 61 and on blood pressure meds that make it hard to lose weight and I've managed to drop 34 lbs since Aug 2. At the moment I am consistently losing 2 lbs a week. The key for me is exercise. I am walking 4 miles at a very brisk pace every morning before breakfast which for me is huge considering I could barely walk 20 feet three months ago.
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thats an amazing weight loss in such a short time! well done you! stories like yours really inspire me.
    I have no excuses I could walk the dog more than I do, its so cold at the minute though ha ha! I really will try to do more though.
  • karenc118
    Options
    thanks for that, very helpful. Deffo menopausal, got the night sweats and really disturbed sleep for the first time in my life. Really need to exercise more than i do, drive to work, sit in an office all day and drive back again, if it wasnt for dog walking I would barely move! thaks for advise
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 yes it gets harder but not impossible to lose it. I go in spurts 1/2 lb a week is about avg for me but its more like nothing, nothing, nothing then I will have a nice drop :huh: I guess I am just happy that I am not gaining
  • karenc118
    Options
    Yes Im a Geordie!
    I had so much to lose weight for this year, a trip to New York and my sons wedding, and i still couldnt do it!.
    wine at the weekend doesnt help but I really need to exercise more!
  • Chellbelle60
    Options
    Yes Keiko that is me too!! I am 52 but despite doing just about everything right and getting under goal every night I stii barely lose. Very frustrating but just have to hang in there.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. U thinking can be done - we just have to try harder. I'm getting ready to go back to doing the Jay Robb Fat Burning Diet. I lost good on it last time and its a healthy clean eating plan sustainable for life. I slowly started increasing the bad things back in my diet over the last few years and still only about 20 came back on. I am 48 and not experiencing any menopausal symptoms but just went off the pill and I think it had taken my body a while to readjust. And I am now married to a man who doesn't need to watch what he eats and loves pasta and processed foods!
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, more difficult, for sure, though not impossible. I also read this week on another post about low iron/iodine might stall loss, and I think I'm facing some of that, as I am on prescription iron. My biggest lesson learned is that I have to exercise to lose.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I used to think that until I joined MFP.

After I had both my kids at age 28 and 30 I trimmed down pretty quickly. Lost all of the pregnancy weight within a couple months (and I had gained 45 lbs with each pregnancy). Then I got hurt, and was having stress related issues and the lbs started adding up. I ended up 15 lbs heavier than my 9 mo pregnancy weight at age 41. Had been trying off and on for several years to take off the weight and blamed it on my age. I just think I wasn't quite motivated and not quite ready to tackle such a large obstacle.

I joined MFP in April, and am down now 41 lbs. I have 14 lbs to go til I hit my pre-pregnancy weight, which should easily be by Valentines day. When I have weeks that I don't lose, I know it's because I overindulged. I really am surprised how easy it has become using MFP. But I also know that something completely clicked in April when I became determined to do what was necessary. Good luck!
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yep - know exactly what you're going through - when I was going through "the change" I gained and could lose for anything - tried Jenny Craig, went back to WW (I'm a LT member). Finally 3 years ago I went back to WW and was able to finally drop the 20 I'd gained back (which was half of what I'd lost previously)......and I've kept it off for over 2.5 years now. I still attend WW meetings and weigh in - free for me now that I'm below my goal weight. And I now have to exercise, exercise and exercise some more - I work out close to two hours every day......but it is soooooo worth it. So hang in there - stick with it - exercise your heart out and it will pay off. This is such a great site - I still get free etools with WW, but I'm on MFP now most of the time - such great support!!!
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well a pound a week is impressive....it's a sustainable amount without you-yoing. Any more than that at there's a danger you eventually end up losing muscle and not fat.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Yep - used to be able to drop 10 pounds a month very easily. It's slower now even with more exercise, but it can be done. Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, after 40 it is HELL!
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and went from 188 to 122 lbs! It can be done - I have very low iron too as I see someone mentioned that. A 1 lb per week weight loss is actually great and you should celebrate that! I am definately not perfect but watch what I eat, measure what I eat and exercise - that is pretty much about it and it worked.
  • gurdy21
    Options
    I am 47 and I really think it is harder to lose weight now. If I lose 2 I am estatic. I don't want to get discouraged though. If it takes a long time then I guess thats the way it is. I would love to lose 45 lbs. I have lost 4 so far. I found this website two weeks ago and I really like it. It's just like Weight Watchers to me but it's free. YEAH!!!!!! I am so tired of spending money to lose weight. This week I weighed 200. I can hardly wait to get under that. Then I don't think I will feel obese. I bought a treadmill on Craigs list. It's nice to work out at home. I think that it's helping.