Diabetics Type 1 and 2: What's your number?

Options
I woke up today and my blood sugar was 104! What's your number? How are things going?

I'ts been about two weeks since I've been taken off my meal-time insulin. I was taking Novolog before each meal. Things have been going well so far.

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I woke up today and my blood sugar was 104! What's your number? How are things going?

I'ts been about two weeks since I've been taken off my meal-time insulin. I was taking Novolog before each meal. Things have been going well so far.

That is a great number. I haven't checked for myself in a while... but, my last A1C was 5.3.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just found out a week ago that I am prediabetic with a hA1c of 6.2. I am trying to eat healthier to avoid being put on medication. I don't really know how to keep sugars down. It seems like there is sugar in everything.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options

That is a great number. I haven't checked for myself in a while... but, my last A1C was 5.3.

That's a great A1c. Mine was 6.1 back in June and I'm betting mine will be lower this next one. I'm awaiting my results. I found out I was type 2 in Oct. 2009, my A1c was 16.3...YIKES!
  • d_Mode
    Options
    I just found out a week ago that I am prediabetic with a hA1c of 6.2. I am trying to eat healthier to avoid being put on medication. I don't really know how to keep sugars down. It seems like there is sugar in everything.

The main thing that has helped me out is watching my carbs...I measure and keep tabs on my carbs, religiously. I try to keep my carb intake between 30-60 grams per meal.
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I had gestational diabetes, a nurse told me to always eat a protein with fruit. That was 12 years ago, and I still never eat fruit without something like a string cheese.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    5.3 is fantastic! Well done :)
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

That's a great A1c. Mine was 6.1 back in June and I'm betting mine will be lower this next one. I'm awaiting my results. I found out I was type 2 in Oct. 2009, my A1c was 16.3...YIKES!

That is a HORRIBLE A1C. Geez... I've never seen it that high. I know someone who was almost 12, but never that high. But, if you've gotten it down that much, you are doing a GREAT job. That is definitely not easy.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on March 4, 2011. It turned out, though, that it was more border-line. My A1C, I believe, was 6.2 or .3 then. It's been 5.3 the last 3 times, though. They took me off my medicine (Metformin); but, then I had to go back on it for something else (not diabetes). Anyway... so far so good.

We're both doing a great job if we can control this horrible disease.
  • d_Mode
    Options
    I"m gonna have to step away from the computer for a while but wanted to see how people like me are doing...hoping people would share their stories in an effort to motivate each other. We can do this folks. Diabetes has changed my life and I am NOT going to let this disease bring me down.

Good luck, everyone!
  • d_Mode
    Options

That is a HORRIBLE A1C. Geez... I've never seen it that high. I know someone who was almost 12, but never that high. But, if you've gotten it down that much, you are doing a GREAT job. That is definitely not easy.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on March 4, 2011. It turned out, though, that it was more border-line. My A1C, I believe, was 6.2 or .3 then. It's been 5.3 the last 3 times, though. They took me off my medicine (Metformin); but, then I had to go back on it for something else (not diabetes). Anyway... so far so good.

We're both doing a great job if we can control this horrible disease.

Yeah, my other numbers were even worse...Choloesterol was 975...I've brought that down too...I'm at 179 now. You're right, it hasn't been easy, but I've done a complete 180 on my diet mainly...and most recently I've began exercising...going for walks and hitting the gym when the weather is bad.

I have a 19-month-old son and I want to be around to watch him grow. Feel free to send me a friend request if you like. :)
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

I took a nutritional class earlier this year. During that class, I learned that it's not necessarily the sugar you have to watch out for. Yes... you have to watch them... but, not like you may think.

The real damage is empty calories (REFINED sugars that you find in junk food -- chips, candies, ice-cream, etc...etc... etc...).

Portion control and exercise is the real thing that you need to work on, and everything else should fall into place. Cut out sodas, as well, if you haven't already. I did that the moment I was diagnosed, and I haven't looked back since. It has been a lifesafer.
  • d_Mode
    Options
    When I had gestational diabetes, a nurse told me to always eat a protein with fruit. That was 12 years ago, and I still never eat fruit without something like a string cheese.

That's interesting. I tend to stay away from fruit because it really spikes my blood sugar...I'll have to ask my nutritionist about this. Thank you for your post! :)
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

The main thing that has helped me out is watching my carbs...I measure and keep tabs on my carbs, religiously. I try to keep my carb intake between 30-60 grams per meal.

This is great advice. I still don't have my carbs as low as I want them... but, they are getting better. I've cut out most sweets, and I try to eat wheat bread if I have bread. But... mostly, I try to get my carbs from natural sources like fruit.... and just leave the bread off.
  • d_Mode
    Options
    Amber Jo, I cut out sodas, sweet tea...kool-aid...hahaha Never thought I could live my life without that stuff...boy was I wrong. :D
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    5.3 is fantastic! Well done :)

Thank you. :) It takes a lot of hard work to keep it there.
  • rawslayer
    rawslayer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2. My number this am was 104. I'm not on meds. Lost 50 lbs in a little over a year.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am a Type I Diabetic and have been for 29 years. I have been on an insulin pump for 12 years. Until I started my weight loss journey, my blood sugars ran high and I consumed far too many carbohydrates. At my peak weight I was using 155 units of Novolog thru the pump per day. I am now down to about 50 units per day and still have about 50-60 pounds to lose. I know I will always need insulin, but I am proud to have the amounts decreasing. I think my last A!C was about 6.8. I'm hoping this one will be much lower. My fasting blood sugars run anywhere from 90- 125, which my endocrinologist considers perfect.
  • aubhob
    aubhob Posts: 25
    Options
    i am a type 2 diabetic and thats the reason i am here my ac1 was at 11.1 = just milimeters away from insulin-after my fitness pal for 3 months my next test was 6.3 -life saving lifestyle change
  • d_Mode
    Options
    Rawslayer...awyatt69...sounds like you guys are doing great. Sorry, but I've got to run. I will check back once I return. Thanks for your post. Take care.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I am a T1 Diabetic. Right now I am on insulin injections, but I have just got approved for an insulin pump and will be starting to use that this coming Tuesday! It will be interesting to see just how much more effective it will be. It's seems to be quite the lil machine!~ haha. Since using MFP, my bloodsugars have been pretty damn good :) I think the highest Ive had was in the 130s ( includes aftermeal ones too) I've also been getting lows too. This morning was 62 when i woke up and the other day after my workout my blood sugar dropped to the 50s. But my typical fasting BS is usually 80-95.
    Because I was gettign approved for and now I'll be working with a pump, I see an endocrinologist, Diabetic educator, and a Dietician on a regular basis. My meals are to be inbetween 30 and 60 carbs per meal, with my insulin being set for the 60g of carbs. So if I eat only 30 I have to obviously take half the insulin :)
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    T2
    my average A.M. test is 91 now =)
    Jan 2012 A1c 6.3
    Oct 2012 A1c 5.5
    Doc cut my Janumet in half

Also total Cholest. from 249 to 165

=)