The Winter Months Are Coming...

Options
And I need to know the best kind of lower body clothing to keep me warm and water free for when it rains when I'm out running. I thought about wind breakers but I don't want to constantly hear it as I jog. :laugh:

Replies

• KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I just starting running and realized that I only like to do this outside and on a trail or at least out in the country. Which is great for where I live here in the Pacific Northwest as long as I'm dressed appropriately. I bought a pair of thermal tights to wear under my running skirt and love those. I also have a pair of underarmour pants and a shirt. I have found if I wear them together either the pants fall down or the shirt rides up so I have to wear them seperately. I also wear super cheap stretchy gloves and a pair of behind the head ear muffs. I find that keeping my ears and hands warm helps a ton. Top it off with a thin, breathable waterproof top and I've been okay.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Don't know about water free - if you wear some sort of shell or waterproof pants, you'd probably end up soaked anyway - with sweat! :tongue:

Last winter I ran in the rain several times, and just made sure to not wear cotton, or anything that's going to soak up the water and get heavy. Running tights if I wanted my legs covered, but shorts weren't bad if it wasn't a real cold rain. Wicking tops in layers, long sleeves on top, usually a half zip so I could open it for ventilation if I got too warm. Hat or visor helps keep rain out of your eyes. I don't think I ever wore a windbreaker or shell of any type, but they do make some really nice lightweight ones for running. If it was cold enough, usually because of wind, I might add a light fleece vest. No cotton goes for your socks too - you don't want your feet getting heavy. :smile:

The hardest part about running in the rain last year was just getting out the door. After that, it was fun to be out there in the rain, getting crazy looks from drivers. :bigsmile: