USED to weigh 420 pounds.......

Options
Hi, My name is Julie and I used to weigh 420 pounds. I have been working on losing weight for the last 4+years and have had success. I'm down 148 pounds. YAY!!!! And about 80 pounds to go!!! But here is my question basically for people who used to be as big as I was but have lost all or most of their weight.....(it's a little gross but....) Did you have to have surgery to remove the extra stomach skin or were you able to work it off??? I'm at that point that I'm getting closer to my goal but my body in the mirror is still pretty scary. I know I've got a lot of weight to lose still but I'm just thinking of the future and looking to see what other people have been through.

Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't know the absolute answer to your question, not having known anyone who was in your position, but I kinda don't think that much skin will shrink back to "normal'. You should probably talk to a doctor about this, but my gut feeling is that the surgery may be necessary. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25-30% of your remaining weight is in excess skin.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing journey of weight loss! Wow! You are so inspiring! :flowerforyou:

Secondly, sorry to say but I think skin is skin and cannot be tightened with exercise. Of course, toning and building muscle will help define your body, but skin isn't muscle and I don't believe it's meant to snap back to its oroginal state pre-weight loss. :ohwell:

Looks like surgery may be your only choice, but from what I have heard and read, those who choose this option never regret it. :):smile: