Swimming questions: costume and shampoo

Options
1. How often should I need to replace my costume if I'm swimming regularly? Mine seems to be losing its elasticity - am I doing something wrong? I rinse it in the shower and wash it as soon as I get home (no fabric conditioner). I have to buy a REALLY EXPENSIVE one with built in bra because of my top-heavy shape - would I be better off squeezing into a standard one??

2. Can anyone recommend a good anti-chlorine shampoo? My hair is a MESS.

Thank you so much in advance for any answers :D

Bex Xx

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice but since nobody replied yet...

No advice on the swimwear other then getting several suits and cycling so they have a chance to shrink back down to size

As for the hair, I'd recommend doing one of those horrible turn-your-hair-into-a-greasy-mess remedies once a week.
  • zzzzia
    zzzzia Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think most athletic swimsuits are advertised for a number of swim sessions... mine is a TYR, and if I remember correctly: it was something like 150-200 wash... afterwards.... it all depends.
    I think you are doing right by rinsing it and washing it.

For the hair, I just tried Wen hair care, quite expensive, but it is saving mine :) I also do an intensive treatment once a week
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    As for swimsuits I would invest in a good quality bathing suit. Something like Speedo or Tyr. You will probably spend $60+ in the beginning but they will last and give support to those of us top heavy because of how the straps are. I would buy two so you can alternate so you are not wearing it out too fast. I used to swim competitively through college so if you are swimming indoors they have a higher chlorine level than an outdoor pool because they are heated. You definitely should rinse your suit but hand wash it when you get home. Washing machines will ruin your elasticity. As for shampoo I loved Ultraswim and it is available at most drugstores and walmart it is more expensive than regular shampoo but I had trouble with my hair turning green and becoming sticky and it corrected my problem.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    There's not that much choice, so if you find one, they are pretty much all the same. They neutralise the chlorine etc etc. I only use it after the swim. Rest of the time I use my usual shampoo/conditioner. (Head and Shoulders and Aussie 3 min Miracle)

Swimming costumes are eaten away by the chemicals in the pool. You can minimise it by rinsing in clean water, You can buy Speedos (other brands are available) that say they have a special coating to prevent this, but sooner or later, no matter what outfit you buy, it will degrade.

Most of the modern custumes should last a year or two at least (obviously depending how much you swim)
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's my only suggestion - make sure you're wearing a swimsuit designed for athletic activity, not just a 'fashion' suit with some support. The fabric isn't designed for the same kind of wear and tear.

Also, never, ever put a swimsuit into the dryer - even machine washing can stress the fibers. (You didn't say you did, but I thought I'd mention it.)

And - they just lose it after a while. My suits start getting threadbare more than stretching out - I think the chlorine just eats some of the fibers.

I never found a good solution for the hair - when I swam regularly, my hair was like straw too. I would use some smoothing oil on it occasionally just to be able to comb it without destroying it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bathing cap will help with the hair issue so it isn't getting in the chlorine all the time.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK? For shampoo I would recommend the Boots 'Sun, Swim and Gym'. They sell a pre-swim cream as well which protects your hair. If you're outside UK...no idea, sorry!

My swimwear policy is wear it until it's see through and then buy another pair. Don't wash it everytime you swim and make sure you dry it naturally and it will last longer.

I hope this helps.

Matthew
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Get a polyester suit not a lycra one. They don't stretch as much and therefore are harder to put on and they are more expensive but worth it because they last so long. I have one that is over 3 years old and I do water aerobics 3-5 times a week.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For many years I was a swim instructor/lifeguard. All my swimsuits were exposed for "hours on end" of chlorinated water. They all deteriorate. I found SimOutlet has good sale prices on Speedo, TYR, and other fitness swimwear for women.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Clearance_Corner_s/481.htm#redirect=false&cat=&page=1&gender=female&parentcat=481&sortby=Newest&viewall=no

You may find other means of getting quality fitness swimsuits in your area. ie..., I found a swimwear producer within a 20 mile car-ride, and could buy swimteam suits with minor defects for 75% or more off. Keep checking.

As for the hair, a good quality shampoo and conditioner is important. Chlorinated water opens hair shafts. Shampooing to remove any dirt is still important, but even more important is closing(smoothing) each hair strand. You may have to experiment with different condtioners, to find what works best for you. I take pride in my hair, and still find that so called "cheap" Dollar Store shampoos and condtioners still work well. White Rain(brand) smells/ and works nicely for me.
    Bath & Body Works shampoos/conditioners are a "top of the line" in terms of smell/quality. Those often go on sale as well.

Keep swimming, and Good Luck!!!:smile:
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Use a cheap conditioner to put on your hair before you get in the pool (don't wash off). I hope you rinse off before you enter the pool that also helps saturate the hair with water so that the chlorinated water doesn't get absorbed into your hair.

swimsuits can last about a year or so dpending how often you swim
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Before I swim I shower and it helps my hair. I am a 5 day a week swimmer and the shampoo I use is Ultraswim Chlorine Removal Shampoo n then cheap conditioner. Hope this helps
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    hehe - I've never heard a swimsuit/bathing suit called a costume!

I swim 3 times a week and I'm in the water for at least 50 minutes, sometimes it's more 75 minutes.

I wash my suit out right afterward in the washing machine, by itself on the delicate cycle, small load, in cold water with regular laundry soap (I use liquid) but only about 1/2 of what a regular small load would be, and then let it hang dry. I keep 2 suits going and alternate them.

I find that my suits last about 6 months. Oddly enough, I find that my black ones don't last quite as long as dark blue ones.

I can't offer any advice for hair products - I have really short hair! lol
  • chadacre
    chadacre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I swim every day for about an hour. I wear a speedo endurance costume which I just rinse with cold water and then hang it somewhere warm to dry. I find that a costume lasts over a year. Before this I was getting through a costume every month! I wear a hat which I hate but it is the only way to keep my hair looking reasonable. I wash my hair after every swim and use a conditioner. I vary the brand but is usually from the supermarket. Enjoy your swimming.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Use a cheap conditioner to put on your hair before you get in the pool (don't wash off). I hope you rinse off before you enter the pool that also helps saturate the hair with water so that the chlorinated water doesn't get absorbed into your hair.

swimsuits can last about a year or so dpending how often you swim

What this poster said! I was a competitive diver for a number of years and (1) always wet your hair before going into the pool so your hair absorbs fresh water before being exposed to chlorinated water and (2) buy some cheap conditioner and leave it in your hair to provide an extra barrier.

As for swimming suits, just take good care of them and they'll last as long as can be expected. They wear out, it's just a fact of life.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My routine for my hair is to first wet it with warm water, then coat it with a olive oil solid conditioner (I find it in the afro section), then I put on my bathing cap. The warm water and conditioner help stop my hair from absorbing the chlorine. After I swim I use a non-sulphite shampoo and conditioner.

As far as suits go, I have several and rotate, but they don't last.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have 2 speedo endurance swimming Costumes and one is well over 3 years old and showing no signs of wear despite several swims a week. Do you really need the bra if you are just in to do lengths? It's not an issue I have but have you tried without support?

As for hair condition first, wear a cap and wash afterwards with an anti chlorine or damaged hair shampoo
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer for the suit, I could always get by with the Walmart brand one peice.

As for hair, I used to wear a swim cap when I swam. It was a lifesaver for my hair.
  • steph199229
    steph199229 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey putting a bathing cap is so helpful. Sometimes a little bit of water comes in but hardly any.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know my swimsuit is getting loose too. First thought it was loosing the elasticity. Then realized that 20 lb weight loss probably has a lot to do with it.

So that might be why it is getting looser.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When I was on the swim team I did go through a few suites but I didn't have just one I was swimming every day so I had a few. Plus every one on my team would wear old lose suits over there better ones to create drag, in order to build up muscle to move faster when we didn't have the extra suites on.

For your hair I am a cosmetology, here is what you need striping shampoo salon quality, moisturizing conditioner and shampoo also salon quality. There is a big difference between market shampoos and salon quality shampoos we can tell.
    First thing start striping your hair once a week, or twice depending on the build up on your hair. Always rinse your hair before you get in the water, squeeze out the water then add conditioner before you put on your swim cap. Yes if you are not already wearing a swimmers cap get one! They protect your hair and keep it our of your face so you don't run into a wall. Finally always wash your hair with a conditioning shampoo right after your swim and add more conditioner.
    Because I can't see what kind of hair you have I can't tell you which brand to use, not all products are good for every one, so go to a salon and ask the hair dressers what they would say works best for you.
    I my self like Biology I have tones and tones of thin hair on my head so it works great for me because it doesn't weigh it down but it still feels soft.