Any readers out there? Reading challenge?

Options
AmberJo1984
AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
I have been thinking... would anyone be interested in joining a book forum here? I know there is already a reading group on MFP, but what I'm talking about... maybe reading the same book as a group, and then discussing it together. Maybe 1 book a month... and each month we would hold a poll to see which book is next.

I know this is a fitness website... but, sometimes, the best fitness is that of the mind. So... who's with me?

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    Options
    BUMP
  • shirayaparker
    Options
    I'd be interested! I love reading, I'm reading The green mile on my kindle right now!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What kind of books did you have in mind?
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    What kind of books did you have in mind?

I would post a topic in the group asking for any suggestions. They can include fiction, non-fiction, self-help, love, historical, etc.... Whatever anyone wants to read. And, then I'll pick about 5 out of the entire list to choose from each month... and just keep rotating.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Worth a shot, but starting an MFP group on Goodreads might be better. They have a polls function, and you can get notifications of when someone posts in the group.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'd be down. I read like a fiend.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    Worth a shot, but starting an MFP group on Goodreads might be better. They have a polls function, and you can get notifications of when someone posts in the group.

I may create a poll through this or somewhere else each month, and give the link for people to use. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9355-monthly-reading-challenge

Here's the link to the group. Be sure to let all your book-loving friends know.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9355-monthly-reading-challenge

Here's the link to the group. Be sure to let all your book-loving friends know.

I'm in. :)
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting.
    I would like to join...
    I think I have to download the books as e-books, because it might be difficult to get english books over here.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Bump.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Sounds fun--thanks for suggesting and setting up the group. Look forward to our first read and discuss!
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    I'd be interested! I love reading, I'm reading The green mile on my kindle right now!

Nice!! Love that story. Stephen King is great.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I'm totally with this......................but conditionally unfortunately...... ................I love a good read...............but will not read fictional books, I just can't do it, it's not my "cup my tea" and I'm very content with that. I do non fiction, auto's and bio's...............

This would be great to get me off this site a little more......(here a lot now).................and I like the idea................but I have a STRONG suspicion that this group just wouldn't work out for me because I know MANY ppl like to read fiction. A great idea regardless.........and maybe I can work something out to where I read only when it's not a fictional book. Idk............just an idea.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with this......................but conditionally unfortunately...... ................I love a good read...............but will not read fictional books, I just can't do it, it's not my "cup my tea" and I'm very content with that. I do non fiction, auto's and bio's...............

This would be great to get me off this site a little more......(here a lot now).................and I like the idea................but I have a STRONG suspicion that this group just wouldn't work out for me because I know MANY ppl like to read fiction. A great idea regardless.........and maybe I can work something out to where I read only when it's not a fictional book. Idk............just an idea.

I am exactly the same. This is my suggestion:

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Shallows-Nicholas-Carr/dp/0393072223

It was a finalist for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize in General Nonfiction.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would love to join. What a good idea
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    Thank you, that'll be my next read then......................
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

I understand. I'll post about this in the group... Maybe we can try a non-fiction book every other month. That way it will be switched up even more. I love all kinds... so it does not matter to me.
  • praoenator
    praoenator Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love it !! Count me in!! Because of my crazy schedule may not always be able to participate, but will give it my utmost best!!
  • JosephVitte
    Options

I understand. I'll post about this in the group... Maybe we can try a non-fiction book every other month. That way it will be switched up even more. I love all kinds... so it does not matter to me.

Thank you................I've only joined one group on here, and they came to me and all I had to do was click "accept" so if you invite me, I definitely will join............granite you'll have some non fiction/bio/auto's ect every now and then................

Thanks again!