Acquired tastes...

Options

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Coffee. I used to add cream, sugar, flavoring or whatever to it to try and make it taste like something other than coffee and I hated it. Once I started drinking it black I found that I actually grew to enjoy it. Another thing is salt and vinegar potato chips. I used to hate them but grew to love the tartness. Unfortunely, they're not diet friendly so I don't have them very often anymore.
  • ndfaninaz
    Options
    Asparagus, blue cheese, and tofu. Those are the 3 that come to mind.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    ricotta cheese and yogurt

I used to hate ricotta cheese when I was young. Now I love it in cannoli or lasagna. I like yogurt now too! :)
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Beer for me. I absolutely hated it. HATED it. Then when my best friend and I started going to house parties next door, ALL THEY HAD WAS BEER.....and it was beer pong all night long. I had no choice but to choke it down.....and now I love it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    See to me (english isn't my first language so I apologize) an acquired taste refers to "not everybodys liking". Like scotch to me. Many people don't dig it. I absolutely love it!

But I'm with you on the repeated exposure. If I don't dig it first, maybe second time, I'm not coming back for more just in case i'll like it
  • martincsaint
    Options
    I have a way too dirty mind for this. ;)

Martin
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I used to really hate vegetables, but I ended up acquiring a taste for them so I could reteach myself how to eat well. Now, I have several that I just love.
  • Kandi150
    Kandi150 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've always said if you have to aquire a taste that just means its gross and you eat/drink it anyway and swore if I had to aquire a taste I just wasnt going to have it.... Then I realized how expensive it gets only drinking mixed drinks lol and how readily available beer is at most parties/outings. So I am now a beer drinker. But I orginally thought it was absolutely disgusting!!!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Durian!
    The Southeast Asian "King of Fruits"..I was never a fan of it as a kid but somehow I grew to like the creamy richness of it. Most foreigners would probably find it repulsive but once you get past the smell it's really not that bad :tongue:

I was going to bring up durian, but you already did. I'll see your durian and raise you one bag of freeze dried squid.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Acquired taste to me means you have to "learn" to like it.

Flan, for instance. The first time I tried it, I was a little squicked out by the texture. "Custard" is such a gross sounding word anyway...

Now, though? I hear "flan" and start throwing 'bows to get to it. I LOVE IT. So much. Marry me, Flan.

:laugh:
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes. I hated them until I lived in Italy and couldn't get away from them.
    Kale. I started off by mixing them into green smoothies (with enough banana to counteract the taste) because it's considered a superfood. Now I'm kind of addicted to homemade kale chips. My four year old likes them, too.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Calamari. As a kid, before being a vegetarian I loved most kinds of seafood except actual fish (strange, I know), oysters/clams/mussels and especially hated squid. I had no problem with octopus though. So weird. Anyway, now as a lacto-ovo vegetarian the only thing I can veer off with is calamari... so long as I'm not the one preparing it because if I see it it'll gross me out. I guess it's because it's one consistency/texture all over, so no surprises. Tried my formerly beloved shrimp quite a few times and couldn't get past the texture when I started to chew it :sick:
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Bread. I hated the stuff when I was a kid, but I love it now. Maybe a little too much.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Calamari. As a kid, before being a vegetarian I loved most kinds of seafood except actual fish (strange, I know), oysters/clams/mussels and especially hated squid. I had no problem with octopus though. So weird. Anyway, now as a lacto-ovo vegetarian the only thing I can veer off with is calamari... so long as I'm not the one preparing it because if I see it it'll gross me out. I guess it's because it's one consistency/texture all over, so no surprises. Tried my formerly beloved shrimp quite a few times and couldn't get past the texture when I started to chew it :sick:
    Is it just me or does calamari look like fried foreskin?
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Smoked oysters. My Dad used to gross me out with them when I was little. The smell, the look - everything about them. Now as an adult, I love them. Not exactly healthy though, packed in all that oil.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fish and seafood (including sushi). I now love these! but 10 years ago (when I was in my middle teens) I would never have eaten those! I know have sushi once a month and fish and seafood every week.
  • martincsaint
    Options
    Is it just me or does calamari look like fried foreskin?

I truly hope to never, ever find out. :D

Martin
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    See, I think it's worth acquiring new tastes. Partly because I think if other people are getting pleasure from eating a certain food, why shouldn't I? And partly because it just opens up the variety of things you can eat. I was a seriously picky eater as a child, and it's not fun. I'm determined to learn to like bell peppers, because at the moment, if I taste them in anything, that food is ruined for me. It's be much cooler if I didn't mind the taste. If I lived in the US, I'd be trying to learn to like coriander/cilantro as that seemed to be in (ruining) everything when I was there.

Things I now appreciate that I used to hate:
    black coffee
    dark chocolate
    beer (there are only a few I like, but it's a start)
    blue cheese
    brie & camembert
    smoked salmon
    fish in general
    cured meats
    chutney
    prawns
    Chinese food
    anything hot
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    70%+ dark chocolate...it started with me wanting to eat more healthily, now I prefer it
    Durian...kept having an urge to eat it and now obsessed :p
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Wheat pasta! I used to hate it but the more I ate it, the more I liked it.

Same with diet soda. Now I only drink diet, whenever I try to drink regular it just tastes too sweet for me