Do you guys eat your burned calories?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    yup. i try to eat every last one. even on my worst days i get within 300 of it.
  • i think all depends on your daily cal allowance, if its low then eat some back, if high leave alone.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The key to this question is how you estblished your daily caloric intake.

If you use MFP's settings, then, yes, you should eat them back.

If you use your TDEE then, no, you should not eat them back.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i'll either eat some or all of them back, depending on the day. but i burn over 1000 calories per workout at least 5x per week so it doesn't hurt me really
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    yes
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them, it's counter-producive to working out.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I think each person's body is different and you have to try out different things to see what works for you. Pre-MFP I ate lots and exercised little. Now I reversed it and have dropped 45 pounds in about 4 months. I do think the fact that I eat a lot of calories once a week or so helps, but now have trouble getting my regular 1970 calories each day.

I rarely go a day without 700+ extra calories burned through exercise, but on a day like today that included a 33 mile bike ride, I have almost 2500 calories in exercise to eat, almost impossible without a milkshake (the things I'm willing to do for my health:wink: ).

I do try hard to get 1500-1700 though and worry less about calories burned and eaten back. BUT I did test my weight loss and wrote down results for myself to not just guess what was right.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    sometimes, depending on how many I burn. There's been times that if I would have ate them all back, I would have ate over 4,000 calories those days.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    They way this site is set up, they are DESIGNED to be eaten. If you manually set your own goals based on some other TDEE calculator then you may not have to eat them, But if you let MFP choose your goal, there is already a deficit in place, and not eating them creates TOO large a deficit, which can cause failure.

Exactly!

However, keep in mind that MFP DOES tend to overestimate calories burned during exercise. So, I only put in half of my exercises and eat all of those calories back.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    I usually eat back some--like maybe half or a little bit more.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes, depending on how you calculate your calories and your workout, you can be burning off lean muscle mass without realising it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nope.... i drink them!!!

2012-02-10_10-54-20_183.jpg
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you eat back the calories it is important that they be clean calls and not a bunch of bs
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Yup - almost every last delicious one!

^^^ this

Unless I have a massive burn day, in which case I often have no appetite that day, but will eat like a pig the next day.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    If you eat back the calories it is important that they be clean calls and not a bunch of bs
    all my food is clean. i make sure theres no cat hair or dirt before it goes in my mouth.
    i also cant stand it when people dont wash their produce before eating it *shudders*
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yep Eat them!! and Enjoy them!!! Nom Nom Nom!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Does that include Ice Cream??? Cause I have Ice Cream.... :drinker:
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i have a hard enough time getting to the 1200 ...i know i have a cushion with the exercise..just for the rare occassion i may need them....
  • angelachristou
    Options
    If I am hungry then YES and if I am not hungry then NOT! :-)