Trying new foods...even vegetables!

Options
I can't believe I kept myself in the dark the way I did when it came to fruits and veggies. I always thought I HATED certain foods. It turns out, I don't! The thought of onions (any color), avocado, spinach, kale, etc turned my stomach. There were times I was served food with onions on, in or near it and I would have to skip it. I ate ZERO veggies or fruit.

After working out for some time I decided I needed to clean up my diet. I didn't really get the concept and figured it would be harder for someone like me who is OBVIOUSLY allergic to fruits and veggies. This resulted in over-eating grains and having very little variety in my diet. I suppose one could have variety while never eating fruits and veggies but I'm not that creative and cooking anything that didn't come in a box or bag was foreign to me. I decided hiding my veggies in fruit smoothies was worth a shot. As long as I can't taste the veggies and the fruits are sweet I'll be okay :). It worked! I only ended up getting as far as kale and spinach smoothies but the variety in fruits was impressive, for me!

Slowly, over time, I lost interest in the smoothies. They were a bit of a pain to put together and I found the clean up to be bothersome (I'm lazy!). Strangely, I started to like and purposely consume fruits and veggies-not many but some. This has lead to more creativity in the kitchen and trying even more new things. I'm no pro and have a LOT of room for improvement and to add variety.

I wanted to share what I have learned:

Spinach tastes good when it doesn't come from a can! I didn't know this. Raw spinach is yummy in salads, on sandwiches and also fantastic cooked up with some eggs, alone or with some kale.

Kale: I love it in smoothies and sauteed in some butter, usually with spinach and sometimes added to eggs.

Onions: I'm really only fond of the purple variety but WOW. They add so much to my potatoes and even pork chops!

Avocado: I'll take some with every meal :). Not really but it is now my favorite!

Bell Peppers: I'm working on this. I don't hate them but I'm trying to figure out how to use them in a way to make me like them.

Broccoli: YUM! I love to steam it with cauliflower. I even take the steamed leftovers and use them in salads.

Cauliflower: Again, yum. I usually steam it with my broccoli.

Generic fruit assortment (banana, apple, pear, etc): I love to cut up some fruit and dip it in greek yogurt or just make a medley and snack on it. I enjoyed this more over the summer but it's still a treat.

There are many others but those are the ones that stand out the most to me and I consume the most of. I have also learned that the cleaner I keep my diet the more upset my stomach becomes when I venture back to "junk" food or fast food. I don't have anything against these foods, at all. They just don't sit well with me anymore. I forget this from time to time and indulge. I did that just last night :).

I see posts here often from people wanting to incorporate more fruits and veggies in their diet. I say, try new things. Mix them in a smoothie or in your eggs. Cut them up into small pieces and hide them in sauces. Perhaps they will work their way into your life like they did mine.

Before I get the "you don't have to eat fruits or veggies to be healthy". I get it. I'm not saying you do. I'm just putting this out there for people who want to learn to appreciate them like myself.

Also, I don't care about carbs or sugars :)

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I like my fruit and vegetables so for me, that was never a problem. For others though, it can be a challenge for them because all they think about is raw or undercooked brussel sprouts at mom's dinner table. Now, there are lots and lots of spice mixes and recipes for vegetables that you can make a whole meal of them. Also, blending vegetables in a mix is great too. Peppers, onions and some jalapenos diced fine and sauteed can make a great additive to any meat or sauce. It's all about experimenting and figuring out what flavors you like.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I thought that veggies tasted bad based on other people cooking them for me (mostly my mom or other parents while I was a kid). They were usually soggy and strong. Just yuck. I still mess up from time to time but 90%+ I cook something that I LOVE and that is a win :).
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have found that most people who don't like veggies have never eaten well cooked veggies. I mean, come on canned spinach looks like cow vomit. Even wilting your own spinach will taste a million times better than that.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Since joining this amazing site I've discovered things I "hated" weren't the edible spawn of Satan after all.... for instance EGGPLANT! I thought I hated it. I was convinced any food that was purple other than a grape had to be revolting to my picky taste buds. Turns out I just think eggplant is just a downright unattractive thing and I was being so judgmental! (shame on me!) Ha ha! I bit the bullet two weeks ago and bought one (I made sure no one at the store was watching)... brought it home, sliced it up it and baked it with yummy healthy toppings! Verdict? WIN!

I hated mushy, soft, green, gross (so I thought) avocados for years until I tasted guacamole. For years my parents tried to get me to eat avocados in salad. Did they ever try to shove guacamole in my face hole as an option? Nope. Now I've graduated cum laude as far as they go - I'll cut one in half, scoop out a half of one, put some seasoned salt on it or something and eat it as a snack. Again, WIN!

I'm new to eating fresh and WHOLE foods again after years of what I call "being stupid and lazy" eating fast food. I'm just lucky I stopped when I did or y'all would have seen me on next season's "The Biggest Loser". I too hate to clean the kitchen but I've done it every day for two weeks now so I guess I'm over it. LOL! I've already lost weight, I can see the changes in how my clothes fit just after two weeks and I look forward to the rest of my journey here!

Good luck to you and good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! It will pay off! :)
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Good for you!

Since joining this amazing site I've discovered things I "hated" weren't the edible spawn of Satan after all.... for instance EGGPLANT! I thought I hated it. I was convinced any food that was purple other than a grape had to be revolting to my picky taste buds. Turns out I just think eggplant is just a downright unattractive thing and I was being so judgmental! (shame on me!) Ha ha! I bit the bullet two weeks ago and bought one (I made sure no one at the store was watching)... brought it home, sliced it up it and baked it with yummy healthy toppings! Verdict? WIN!

I hated mushy, soft, green, gross (so I thought) avocados for years until I tasted guacamole. For years my parents tried to get me to eat avocados in salad. Did they ever try to shove guacamole in my face hole as an option? Nope. Now I've graduated cum laude as far as they go - I'll cut one in half, scoop out a half of one, put some seasoned salt on it or something and eat it as a snack. Again, WIN!

I'm new to eating fresh and WHOLE foods again after years of what I call "being stupid and lazy" eating fast food. I'm just lucky I stopped when I did or y'all would have seen me on next season's "The Biggest Loser". I too hate to clean the kitchen but I've done it every day for two weeks now so I guess I'm over it. LOL! I've already lost weight, I can see the changes in how my clothes fit just after two weeks and I look forward to the rest of my journey here!

Good luck to you and good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! It will pay off! :)

That's awesome. Congrats!

The more I love cooking and the things I eat the less I hate cleaning the kitchen. I prepare fairly large meals 10+ times a week now and don't seem to mind. It's all about attitude and where your priorities are. Right now, my priorities are in trying new things, cooking whole foods and learning about nutrition so I don't mind cleaning the kitchen a couple of times a day :)
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I have found that most people who don't like veggies have never eaten well cooked veggies. I mean, come on canned spinach looks like cow vomit. Even wilting your own spinach will taste a million times better than that.

Exactly!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Try the yellow, red, or orange "bell" peppers, I dislike the green ones, but give me one of the other colors and they totally rock!!!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies is another way to have them....it makes their flavours much more intense and sweet. Just drizzle with a little olive oil, chuck on a few herbs and your away!

A trick for bell peppers is to blacken them over a gas flame until the skin is completely blackened, put them into a plastic food bag and rub off the skin.....you're then left with soft sweet flesh.

Fruits are also yummy when heated in a pan until they start to soften and release their juices, add a squeeze of honey or lemon or vanilla....perfect warm dessert with a little greek yogurt.

Enjoy your new found passions!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Try the yellow, red, or orange "bell" peppers, I dislike the green ones, but give me one of the other colors and they totally rock!!!

This! Roasted they are so beautiful and sweet! Yum! X
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

This! Roasted they are so beautiful and sweet! Yum! X

Hmm... see, I have NEVER been a red or green pepper fan.... so the orange and yellow versions are sweet? I might go out on a limb and buy one.... lol... how do you roast them?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how when you get used to yummy vegetables, and the combination of certain protein, vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc it opens up a whole new world. I'm not even tempted by fast food. I have had to give up most processed sugar for health reasons and now it's no big deal. I enjoy the treat now and then but sometimes sugar makes me feel sick because I'm not used to it (except for fruits, etc.)

This is great to hear. Good for you!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    As far as food goes. For fitness I prefer: All color bell peppers, chicken, salad, yogurt, cereal, and fruit!!!
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post. Good for you. :flowerforyou: