Exercise and Night Shift

Once again, I had a HORRIBLE sleep. I think I just may have to limit my exercises to days that I'm off work. Doesn't seem to matter what type of exercise I do (light, mod, heavy). I can't fall asleep or stay asleep and I wake up repeatedly STARVING whether or not I eat before I go to bed! Insane! Does anyone else experience this? Any advice?

Replies

• dabrion
    dabrion Posts: 9 Member
    Are you working out just before you go to bed?
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Usually I do. If I work out before my shift, I'm tired, lethargic and sore. I'm still new to the working out and being a floor nurse, being tired and lethargic are not a good option for me! At first blush, going for a nice 2 mile walk is relaxing, helps me to unwind and I think I can go to sleep. But it never works.
  • I always work out before shifts, day or night. I know what you mean about feeling sore but I find that walking it out at work eases it more than exercising and going straight to bed! I exercise almost immediately then eat breakfast, shower and go to work. I often find I am too lethargic (mentally and physically) after a shift! What exercise do you do?
  • dabrion
    dabrion Posts: 9 Member
    Oh okay.... Longer concentrated workouts on your off days will probably be a better bet. I had the same problem. I use to workout before work, and would find I would get tired during my shift later that day (especially after lunch). If I worked out at night, I would be too awake to go to sleep. Now I just do harder workouts out on my 3 off days. Doing weights 1 of the days will usually keep me sore for around 3 days anyway, the other 2 off days i combo jog/walk for 2.5 miles. Your body needs rest and that's just as important as working out so hopefully that will work out for you. The "starving" sensation is your body's metabolism kicking up a notch while your attempting to go to bed which can also be a problem if your like me and find almost impossible to go to sleep while hungry.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Do what works for you. I have a desk job 5 nights a week. It sucks at times. Fortunately I have down time where I can get away for 20-30 mins each night and go out and walk. I always go exercise in the morning after I get off work. I too get that boost of energy, making it difficult to fall asleep right away. I have to have a couple of hours after exercising to be able to wind down and go to bed.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    I am in the same boat kinda, meaning I work from home 4pm - 4am. I have some days that I just can not wind down.

We eat and then go straight to bed... I am not sure how bad this is. But if I stay up and try to workout after eating I will not sleep...

So I also am up for suggestions.

:happy:
  • Cjoseph03
    Oh okay.... Longer concentrated workouts on your off days will probably be a better bet. ...

I think that's what I'm going to do. I knew that. I think I just enjoy being completely lazy on my days off.
    The "starving" sensation is your body's metabolism kicking up a notch while your attempting to go to bed which can also be a problem if your like me and find almost impossible to go to sleep while hungry.

I think I have to agree. Just did another weigh in (early! eek!) and I've lost 5 lbs this week. I know you're only supposed to lose 2/week, but I've eaten A LOT more than I used to. I've also moved A LOT more than I used to. Lol! Hope this keeps up for at least 2 more weeks and then evens out. Lol!
  • Cjoseph03
    Will increasing protein increase metabolism? Guess I should look into that. As far as diet, that's the only thing I've done different this time.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Well, I can't say that I have this problem. But I'm probably too tired to make it matter when I work out since I work two jobs. They are both 12 hour shifts. One is full time and one is part time and yes, both are third shift. I work out as soon as I get my daughter off to school. Then I shower, then I eat, and then I go to bed. I fall right to sleep and only wake up if I have to pee!
  • tachikata
    tachikata Posts: 12 Member
    I've had this problem in the last week recently. 12 hour night shifts, 3 or 4 days off, terrible sleep with changing patterns all the time, I always find an hour break for exercise and lunch during work which works reasonably well though not when you have cr4p sleep. Some colleagues here said they used melatonin to help balance out levels enough for sleep, so went to doctors and had it prescribed and tried it out and hour before sleep yesterday and had my 1st good "day's" non interrupted 8hr sleep in over a week.