Yoga Help?

Options
Hi all!

I'm working with a trainer (and soon, a chiropractor and masseuse) to pull through a major back injury. Things are going great with my trainer, and I'm able to lift really heavy weights. I see a big difference in my body and look a lot more toned and defined than before. BUT, my back injury caused all my muscles to tense up. It's been almost a year, and while the seriousness of the injury has subsided, I have no relief from the stiffness and pain in my lower back.

So my question for all you yoga buffs out there is: are there any good (Free?:smile:) yoga videos out there on the net that strengthen the core but also really take time to lengthen and stretch your muscles. Particularly the back and legs? I've never been big into yoga, but I'm crossing my fingers that this will help heal my muscles.

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I don't know your whole situation but I wonder if weight lifting movements like shoulder press, conventional squats etc would actually be compounding (literally) the problem in your lower back by compressing the spine? I'm not saying don't lift weights because I lift weights and use bodyweight exercises to supplement my Yoga and find it is an essential component of my practice.

Videos - I don't know how fit you are or whether you are able to access the website I have in mind but my own teachers, who teach challenging yoga routines, not just meditation and relaxation, have whole routines posted on this website:

Google Love Yoga Online: free registration and you can preview most of the videos there before you download which inurs a very low charge (about £5 sterling for a video of about 1.5 hours). Excellent teaching in a class setting with a small handful of students. My own style is Anusara which is challenging. Also try Ashtanga for a good workout or Iyengar if you want to focus more on alignment; both are excellent.

Also look at You Tube: Power Yoga Onese1f (75 minute yoga sequence which will challenge the strongest Yogi or weightlifter)

Hope all goes well. You will love Yoga one you find the right style and teacher.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestions! My trainer's idea behind the weight training was to do static moves to strengthen the muscles surrounding the injury and thus straighten my spine again. Slowly over the past 4 months, we added some movement and more complicated exercises. It's been helping tremendously, but last week's kettle bell swings pushed my back too hard. It's a minor setback, but a painful one.

I am a healthy weight and am used to going to the gym 5-6 days per week. Even with this injury, I am able to do a lot, as long as I don't twist my back or make a jerky movement. I strength train with a trainer, I run and use the elliptical, and I'm trying to fix my back enough to be able to rejoin the cardio kickboxing class I was taking before my injury.

There are a few yoga classes offered by my gym, which I plan on checking out after Hurricane Sandy gets out of the way! They all have different names though, and I'm not quite sure which one would be right for me at this stage of the game. And if I can find something to do at home, it'll help stretch my muscles even more! I really am hoping that once my muscles can learn to relax again, I'll be able to go back to kickboxing, hiking, distance running, and general jumping around without causing another injury.

Thanks again for your help!
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started doing some from this link on youtube and they are helping my back. I have herniated discs so lifting is out for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/yogatic

Stretching is a big help for stiffness and pain.

Good luck:smile:
  • warriorgirle
    Options
    Another video website you can try is YogaYak.com. They have a YouTube channel as well.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a wii, wii fit has a very good yoga on it. I would also suggest a few private yoga lessons if you are brand new. Yoga should never hurt (till the next morning!) but with a back injury you can't be too careful, in my opinion.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    What are the names of the classes? Maybe we can help. I don't know of any videos - though yoga journal has free podcasts and your library probably has videos. Back injuries are complicated- if you know what you shouldn't do, you'll be fine at your gym. As a teacher, I hate to say this, but don't always do what the teacher says if you are at all worried it's wrong for you. Also, as a teacher at a gym, many of us have very little training ( though some have tons!), so if you are at all hesitant about what you should or shouldn't do, find the teacher in your area with the most training and experience.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! You guys rock! I'll definitely start looking into these online ones.

My gym offers several types of yoga classes: Yoga-hatha, Yoga-Iyengar, Iron Yoga (I think that one involves light weights?), there's one that's just called "yoga." I'm really looking to increase flexibility and relax my muscles. I've taken yoga classes before where it seems all they do is meditate. That bores me... I need to move around a bit!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    My gut feeling is I would go for the Iyengar style Yoga as they will be most likely to focus on correct alignment. I've never liked the idea of weights and yoga as, if the yoga is taught and practised properly, you definitely don't need weights - you'll have a challenging enough session without!

So - my money is on Iyengar.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    My gut feeling is I would go for the Iyengar style Yoga as they will be most likely to focus on correct alignment. I've never liked the idea of weights and yoga as, if the yoga is taught and practised properly, you definitely don't need weights - you'll have a challenging enough session without!

So - my money is on Iyengar.

Mine too!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    bump
    i've been told by my physio to try increasing my core strength