Hurt my lower back during deadlift. Help 

Hi all

I hurt my lower back today during the deadlift (so stupid) I felt it right away and stopped to do some stretches with the hope that it would help. Not sure if it helped or not, but it still hurts and I am having a hard time moving around.  The hot bath was not much help either :((
 Is there anything I can do to make it better ? 

Replies

• Deep heat spray and stay off weights for at least 5 days or so... DONT risk it! If it becomes more intense< check it out with gp
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    start with cold, not heat yet

catcamels help
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    I sprained my back a couple of years ago. Get a heating pad on it for as long as you can. I even slept on the heating pad. Couple days its was better.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Ice!!!
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    I did that too (my back already has issues though). Heating pad, ice, more heating pad. Ibuprofen. Once it feels better, yoga and stretching help so much. Then EASE back into lifts involving lower back (I'm still not doing anything bent over like rows or deadlifts. Sucks.). Chiropractor if you can swing it!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Ummmm confused, Should I do heat or ice? 

catcamels help

I'll try the cat-camel also.  Thanks
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member

catcamels help

Cold for the next 48 hours. If it's bothering you after that, see a doctor. No idea what type of stretches will help.
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    I agree...cold after injury.

Advil. 600 mg in one dose

I had disk surgery last year. Make sure to put yourself in back friendly position. Either lie on your back or sit upright with pillows in lumbar area...whatever is comfortable.

Hope you feel better. I sympathize as I've been there.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Okay, I am not a doctor, but have had more injuries to my back than most doctors you'll ever meet, and seen lots of them, physical therapists, and chiropractors, not to mention massage therapists and acupuncturists.

Ice. Ice. Ice. NO HEAT.

Heat causes inflammation. You don't want that. Makes things swell and hurt.

Ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off as often as needed, at least a few times a day.

Ibuprofen/Advil/Motrin 800 mg every 4 hours up to six times a day for several days, or until your stomach says no more (take with food or milk). It's not just for the pain, it helps reduce inflammation which helps with the healing.

If there are any symptoms other than pain, go to the doctor.

Static back position- lay on your back on the floor with your calves on a chair. Hips/knees 90 degrees. Arms at side, palms up. relax as much as you can for 5 minutes or more a couple times a day.

If it feels better to walk, do that. Don't try to do any other exercise until you're feeling comfortable.

Take it easy.

The worst pain is usually a day or two after the initial injury, then it starts improving.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Thanks a mill everyone, I am trying the ice now and stretches that were recommended. 
    I don't have any medication in the house, will have to go out for some.     
    Fingers crossed its nothing to serious.