weight loss only on really low cal intake?

Options
I have GI and throat issues, and at times I am unable to eat anywhere near (what WAS my calorie goal of 1200) During those times, I lost weight. Now, I was still eating, I just had to change what and amount I was eating. Many foods became unpalatable to me.
I notice that If I go over 800 cals in a day, I gain weight. Anyone else have to maintain really low caloric intake to lose weight?

PS (before any bashing starts) I have a neuromuscular disease that affects my muscles and mitochondria (energy cells) I predisposed to gaining weight in the first place. By GI issues, I mean that I was unable to tolerate foods or swallowing, sometimes even the feel of a food...

Replies

• msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you are trying to lose weight with these other factors to consider then you should be seeking advice from health professionals to guide you through this, not armchair experts.

Good luck on your journey. x
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    how long have you tried eating over 800 calories? i mean.. have you tried it for more than a couple days?
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you are trying to lose weight with these other factors to consider then you should be seeking advice from health professionals to guide you through this, not armchair experts.

Don't worry, I am under the care of several doctors on this journey. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I think what they mean is, ask this very question to your doctors. Most people here don't know much about your condition, so they won't be much help in figuring out how many calories someone with your condition should consume.
  • velmaisvelma
    Options
    how long have you tried eating over 800 calories? i mean.. have you tried it for more than a couple days?

I have "experimented" with it for quite a while now. It was only recently that my calorie level was below for more than a couple of days to where I noticed that all my weight loss times were those where cals stayed below 800.
  • velmaisvelma
    Options

I think what they mean is, ask this very question to your doctors. Most people here don't know much about your condition, so they won't be much help in figuring out how many calories someone with your condition should consume.

I know, I just didn't elaborate in my reply. I was in doctor the other day over my low cals and she said that as long as my water intake is acceptable and my labs remain stable, I was ok with what was going on with losing/vs/gaining.
    I am just curious if anyone else sees that they have to maintain that low of a cal intake, as well.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I feel for what you are dealing with but weight gain does not necessarily equate to fat gain. Any time you up your calories - especially from carbs - you're going to gain a lot of water weight. When I end a low carb cutting phase and start upping towards maintenance by adding more carbs, I can easily gain about 7 lbs of water weight within the the first week. The same is true if one starts eating foods significantly higher in sodium after a period of eating low amounts of salt.
  • velmaisvelma
    Options
    I feel for what you are dealing with but weight gain does not necessarily equate to fat gain. Any time you up your calories - especially from carbs - you're going to gain a lot of water weight. When I end a low carb cutting phase and start upping towards maintenance by adding more carbs, I can easily gain about 7 lbs of water weight within the the first week. The same is true if one starts eating foods significantly higher in sodium after a period of eating low amounts of salt.

Thank you! That makes a great deal of sense to me, b/c I recently was able to add sandwiches back in my diet. So, I know my carb intake increased by at least 50%. Thank you!