pfft !!!

Options
Man, today sucks. I feel like all i want to do today is eat. Ive been able to keep under my calorie goals for the day, but every time i turn around temptaion is around the corner. What do you all do when you feel like cracking and say to heck with it. I havent had this kind of day since early into by new "lifestyle". I refuse to call it a diet. Dont know if its boredom,or just my body saying "eat you fool'.

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I try to keep lots of healthy snacks at home for days like these. Sometimes our bodies just need a boost as long as it isn't happening to often, I wouldn't worry about feeding your body if it needs it.
  • trish462
    Options
    Sometimes we deserve to have an off day, especially if you don't do it often. I always allow myself one day a week to eat something that i really shouldn't, only because if I don't I will really miss those foods and might binge. I still stay under the daily calories and I still exercise, so I don't feel guilty.:smile:
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    drink a ton of water..you get too full to eat
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy most of the time. I've been doing this for over 5 years now. I eat low carb due to a thyroid issue and avoid sugar. But once in a while, my body just craves a cookie or piece of cake or something sweet. If the cravings are really bad, I go ahead and have one. That generally takes care of it and I go back to my usual way of eating. It doesn't happen very often and I figure life is too short to spend an entire day focused on what I can't have. Once in a while shouldn't be a problem.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I hate those days. I guess I try to think about how I'll feel the next day either knowing i caved or knowing I hung on. If I caved, i feel really disappointed in myself. If I held out and made it through the temptation unscathed I feel awesome. That's often enough to help me through.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    holy hundred and four. :) great job. I have those minutes, I try and move past each temptation at a time.

I have been wondering what it will be like after losing so much and retraining myself to think differently about food and suspected that my weaknesses will be there waiting for me at the end.

Can you have something in moderation to satisfy your temptations?
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so sorry today sucks. The thing that works best for me is distraction, pure and simple. Even if it is something I don't want to do, keeping busy (and away from food) helps....

What an amazing loss! Congrats!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    everyones psyche is a bit different in this respect... some would say eat a bit more to satisfy those cravings.

Ive had a tough day myself. I drove right up to coldstone ice cream....sat in my car..and gave myself a tough talking to.. I went home ..walked it off..if i would have allowed myself to *cheat* or just eat w/e i would have just *gone all out* for the day. some say thats not so bad..for me its not such a good thing.

deep down you know what will and wont work for you...you have been at this awhile... try to eat healthier things drink more water..walk it off...get your mind to focus on other things....however if you feel that you can afford the extra calories and move on the next day then go for it. you know your body better than anyone else... good luck!
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    Thank you all for such great support and ideas. It really is a mind over matter. i agree with you cravin,and its really the guilt factor that starts to take place. It really is like an alcoholic or drug addict, only in this case its food. In my case, its better to just stay away then to give in, because i know what im capable of. There's a reason why i had so much to lose. im glad you all let me vent. thanks
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have those days too and I eat. One day was mashed potatoes (but I made em w/only 2% milk, no butter) 2 servings! One day was pasta, Several days pizza, but even on my cheat days and I went over my calories once! still MUCH less than I use to eat.

My big downfall is pasta, not sure why. So I rarely make it. If kids want pasta they can make some for themselves. I make it and eat way too much of it, so I just don't make it. Works for me.

I also have my handy Balance bars when I want something decadent. Ok they are not that decadent, but for some reason (couple times a week) they just do the trick. Try to have good substitutes on hand for the days you just wanna eat.

Or things you can totally pig out on! I can eat a whole jar of pickled beets while watching tv. 80 calories but I feel like I am totally going for broke. Some times I have chopped frozen bananas. Some shared before sticking in freezer roll em in cocoa powder. Havent' tried that yet.

Course I been only doing this for 5/6 weeks. Do not know how hard it will be after a few months.

Think about how you felt before you started, that should help and also do some meditation, deep breathing, focus. Might help you get back on track.

Its a balance. Don't deny totally, but also weigh (no pun intended?) how important is this to me today? How important will that slice of pie be to me tomorrow?

I don't have alot of temptation in the house. I buy stuff for kids that I know I will not eat, like packaged cookies (yuck), chips (I can live without them) or snack crackers I don't like.

Hang in there. We all be cheering for you!

Namaste.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Honestly - sometimes I just give in (had that yesterday). But I always log everything I want to eat first so I can see what I'm thinking about doing and then make a decision. Usually I'll then just pick one or 2 things in more moderate amounts to satiate the cravings. Truth be told I still order pizza and eat that too. I just might not eat anything else. Or see what you want to eat and work it off first (or at least a good chunk of it). These days happen and if you never ever give in you're going to lose your mind. Just make sure whatever you decide not to do it mindlessly. That's how you get in trouble.
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I keep busy with my hands and brush my teeth or rinse with mouth wash. NOTHING tastes good after that! LOL! BTW, great job on the weight loss!!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Usually when this happens to me I am actually craving some certain nutrient that I am deficient in. SO, I figure out what the 'actual' craving is, generally it's iron, and pig out on spinach. Or if I just want to chew, I eat green beans sauteed with minced garlic and a drizzle of soy sauce. I can eat a LOT to fill me up without going too far over my calorie count.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I play a little game with myself. I make a list of the things I am craving and select one, circle it and keep the list handy. If I still want the treat the next day and I am willing to make the effort to go buy it, I do. Rarely does that happen, but when it does, you can bet I savour every bite (guilt free!).
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    You'll know it's boredom or a craving if thinking about eating a big, leafy green salad doesn't sound yummy!

Happened to me on Friday night. I wanted some chocolate, and thought "hm if I'm hungry I'll eat that spinach salad" and my brain immediately went NOOOOOOOOO and I thought "Ha! It was a craving!" Outsmarted myself!
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Truly, I usually give in. I guess you might even call it a binge. I might go 1000-2000 cal over goal. But after that, I get back on track. Without being graphic, as a woman this happens about once a month. I come to expect that insatiable day, and chalk it up to the idea that my body needs the extra calories at that time. But I always get myself together again afterwards.