Belly Fat - Need reassurance!

Options
I'm losing weight and, honestly, doing a darn good job of it. My problem is that, I'm 163 pounds and a size 8. So, why is that a problem? I honestly thought I'd be at a size 8 around 145, but I got there much earlier because all my weight is coming off my butt and legs. Okay, so some has come off my tummy, but not much. I have almost 40 pounds to lose, but 25-30 of it is still on my stomach. I know I can't spot reduce, but can someone just reassure me it will begin melting there soon? I look really funny with tiny legs and a huge stomach. I guess there's this paranoid part of me terrified I'll get to 125 and still be wearing 2X shirts!

Replies

• FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    it will come off there eventually. Just make sure you try and get in some strength training because with a little more muscle the fat will come off faster meaning it will leave you waistline quicker too. But you are right you can't spot reduce. You body will store the fat where it sees fit.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It will come off eventually, don't worry about it. You just have to get low enough body fat percentage and once you are a that point your body will start to burn some fat off other areas as well. Just keep doing what ya doing.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    After a year of maintaining within a three pound range (after slowly losing over 100 pounds over a decade), I still weigh the same (5'4", 163). However, within the last six weeks, I have lost 2' off my belly. There is now a 6" difference between my hips and my belly and a 9" difference between my hips and my waist. I am getting spontaneous compliments from oodles of people from different parts of my life.

I attribute the change (anecdotal, not scientific) to a combination of adjustments I have made dealing with a spinal disk that ruptured last spring. I underwent a course of physical therapy that emphasized building strength in the lower transverse abs and stretching and six weeks ago, I got a sit-stand workstation at my employment. Not only has the sit-stand workstation eased my pain (which by the end of the day was over 5 on a scale of 1-10 and is now never higher than a 2 after using the sit-stand workstation), but to avoid exhaustion standing, I consciously use good posture throughout the work day.

I never thought that I could improve the ratio between my belly and my hips, but it is happening. It is motivating me to take off the next 10 lbs. I really want to do this, because the lower weight will help protect my spine in the future or, worst case scenario, make the recuperation easier.
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have just started strength training 2 weeks ago and have been surprised with how much has come off my middle. :blushing: Worth trying out.