Panera & Subway

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Turkey Breast and Ham on Italian with lettuce, tomato, onion, sweetcorn and green peppers; then a little bit of sweet onion sauce.
    I don't have issue with salt/sodium.

If I've got calories to spare, will consider a steak and cheese, but the above is on offer for £3 for a 6' with drink or £5 for a 12".
    So considering keeping the other half for later.
    After you sign up for the subcard mobile app you get triple points which seems to have worked for me as I've been visiting more often. So got enough points for 3 free 6" subs, which I'll redeem when the bonus points time is up.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Subway is just gross to me. That whole place smells like old meat. Ick.

I do however love Panera. I get the low-fat chicken noodle soup and the caesar salad. Its under 450 calories for the entire meal. Yes it's high in sodium, but I don't have blood pressure problems. Sodium is only bad if you've been instructed by a doctor not to eat large quantities.
  • larkei
    larkei Posts: 19
    Options
    I get a 6inch wheat 9 grain chicken breast heated, with pepper jack and lettuce and tomato and green bell peppers, with a very little honey mustard. It is amazing and now i want to go get one lol.. i only drink water (or alcohol) so no sodas, coffee, chips, or cookies.. runs about 4.00 for the 6inch
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am not fond of Panera.....Their food is not enough above their competitors to justify the increase in price, IMHO. At Subway, I usually go for the daily deal, so I can get a six inch sub loaded with the meat of the day, my choice of veggies and a little oil and vinegar, on whole wheat or 9-grain bread, baked chips and a drink, all for $4 bucks. I don't do it often, but when traveling with a group of teenage boys and looking for a quick lunch in the middle of a baseball tournament, it SURE beats concession stand food!!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Subway -- I typically get a 6" wheat veggie delight with a little mustard. I pack on the veggies and I get pepper jack cheese. When their avacado menu is available I get a 6" wheat turkey and avocado (no cheese).

Panera - I usualy get the You Pick 2 and go for a half turkey bacon bravo and the light chicken noodle soup.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I never go to Panera. They think WAY too much of their sandwiches there. At Subway, I usually get whatever they have on sale. sually hubby and me split a $5 footlong. I like the black forest ham.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i used to love panerea but it is notoriously high in calories... but if i ever allowed myself again id get a ham and swiss on country wtih lettuce, a fuji apple salad, and broc & cheese soup
  • andrealeighx33
    andrealeighx33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I worked at Panera for about 3 years and there are a ton of healthy options if you make the right modifications. Their classic salad with chicken and the dressing on the side, the black bean soup, the garden vegetable soup, and you can ask for no bread with your sandwich and eat it like a lettuce wrap or just get a half sandwich. Steer clear from the sauces, too much dressing, the pastries (hard, I know!), and cream based soups and you're golden :)

When it comes to subway I typically get a 6" turkey, or turkey and ham on wheat, no cheese, (I barely taste their cheese anyway, not worth it), everything but pickles, and either mustard or oil and vinegar.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Panera: Pick two - 1/2 bacon turkey bravo, 1/2 french onion soup, fuji apple

About 600 cals, not low cal but nothing I'd call "notoriously high cal" either...I am easily able to fit it in my calorie budget.

Pass on Subway, but in a pinch I'd go for a no frills 6" turkey.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I travel for work and sometimes Panera and Subway are the best choices in the places that I am sent.

If I am at a location for more than a day, I will find a grocery.

I usually eat a veggie sub with cheese/oil & vinegar from subway or a greek salad from Panera.

Thanks!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Subway oven roasted chicken footlong on wheat with no cheese, lett, tomato, black olives, onion, banana peppers, and jalapeño

Panera it depends but lately I like the asiago roast beef on sourdough and no horseradish.

Also I like their current hot turkey and cranberry panino.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    6" Subway Veggie Delight on 9 grain wheat NO cheese, spicy mustard, all veggies except black olives and avocado.....super low fat like maybe 3g or 4g and about 235 - 240 cals.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I get the fuji apple chicken salad with cheese. I just exercise more that night because it's so good.

when ever I see their cookies I tell myself I could have a cup of my favorite ice cream for 1/2 the calories and a fraction of the price. It helps me walk away.
  • Musically_Blessed
    Options
    I normally order either one of the paninis or the chicken noodle soup (NOT in the bread bowl)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Never eaten at Panera.

At Subway, I get the same thing: 6" veggie on white, no cheese, no condiments. I'm actually following doctor's orders and restricting sodium which restricts what you can eat if you want to eat more than once/day. If sodium isn't a problem, I'd suggest the sweet onion chicken teriyaki, spicy Italian (local fave, a BMT without the ham), or rib. I love the herb and cheese bread.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat out...the sodium is a killer!! If I have ot I order the veggie sandwich on wheat with avocado, tomato, lettuce a few black olives and a little mustard. No cheese, or pickles. I love them but to high in fat & sodium
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My kids like Subway for some reason. The only thing that I like there right now is their Chop Salads. You can get whatever veggies you want, but I use my own dressing at home.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I love both restaurants and eat there quite often. Both will blow out your sodium macros for the day if your not careful. But this is what I typically order.

Subway:

6" Egg White and Cheese Flatbread w/ Pepperjack Cheese & All the Veggies (Spinach instead of lettuce though) - 360 cals
    6" Veggie Delight w/ Swiss Cheese/ All the Veggies/ Lt. Sweet Onion Sauce - 230 cals
    6" Subway Club w/ Swiss Cheese/ All the Veggies/ Lt. Sweet Onion Sauce - 440 cals

Panera:

Tuna Sandwich on Honey Wheat w/ L,T,O (no xtra mayo or mustard) - 520 cals/ sandwich
    YP2 - 1/2 Tuna Sandwich and 1/2 Asian Chicken Salad - (260 cals + 200 cals)
    Turkey Harvest Salad (High Protein: Carb Ratio) - The Whole Salad

Other YP2 Options I commonly eat:
    - BBQ Chicken Salad
    - French Onion Soup
    - Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
    - Tomato Soup
    - Chicken Corn Chowder

For the sides: I like the whole wheat baguette and the chips (they're about 150 cals a piece), and I always ask for xtra pickles. And I the acai berry tea with splenda is another fave! Hope that helps :)
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    At subway, I usually get the BLT and veggie sandwich on wheat (or italian herbs & cheese bread). But, I have switched. Yesterday, I got a grilled chicken salad, and it was DELICIOUS!!! And healthy. A LOT less sodium.