Anorexic+Birthday=?

Options
Me and my sister are both diagnosed with anorexia, but it's just that her is more severe and she's very, very sensitive. Last year on her birthday, we bought a cake and we made her have some, but the whole birthday was ruined as she started crying and feeling bad and guilty. No fun. Her birthday is coming in 20 days or so and I've been wondering if I can make something really low calorie. I've been experimenting, but nothing really comes out. I bought 0cal strawberry jam and some splenda, but what should I put as a base that's low calorie? I don't want to ruin her birthday party - again. I want her to be happy and feel somewhat normal. Do you have any recipes or some tips? Thank you.

Replies

• DrewMartGrawr
    Options
    I'm new to the game of watching what I eat, so this probably isn't helpful. Just brainstorming here.

I don't know about ingredients for a cake base, but maybe you could make a sweet crust in a cupcake tray, or make regular cupcakes and cut off the top and scoop out the center. You could add the jam and some strawberry pieces, or some other low/no calorie sweets and put the top back on or crumble it and mix it in with the filling. Maybe she'll be more inclined to eat it if it's more fruit than cake?

Or what about drinks instead? I make smoothies with a Magic Bullet mixer, and it blends ice and whatever else is thrown in there very finely. Put a very low amount of cream or milk if you want, plus some ice and whole strawberries and juice and mix it up. Sprinkle some cake crumbs with the jam on top, and you've got a birthday smoothie. ^^

I hope this year goes better for the both of you. Early happy birthday to her!
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you, great tips. :)
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Go to a movie or shopping.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask her beforehand if she actually wants a cake for her birthday, and go with what she says? If being faced with a cake freaks her out or upsets her then she's unlikely to feel "normal" or celebratory.
  • sarahs2ndstart
    Options
    Make a cake with the normal mix but replace everything else with diet soda. Add the jam as a topping. It has few calories. I'm also anorexic and this was a go to on my birthday because my family is kind of crazy and I refuse to eat a lot of baked goods.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    do you need cake to celebrate a birthday? I enjoy spending time with people on my birthday. :) go for a hike. you are very sweet to be so considerate.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Ask her beforehand what she wants. If you surprise her with a cake, even a low-calorie one, it could still create anxiety with her.
  • kikimama125
    Options
    You could do the cake mix with a can of pumpkin thing, or banana "ice cream" sundaes. Or something like those ediable arrangments with fruit, some dipped, some not then she can pick what she wants to eat.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Treat it like a normal day as far as food goes. I think celebrating in a non food related way would be less stressful for everyone.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com. There are lots of desserts on there (pumpkin cupcakes were yummy!) that are lower in cals and you can still use Splenda to make it sugar free too.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Angel Food Cake is really light. Add some strawberries, and it's delish!
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Skip the sweets (especially those loaded with artificial crap) and go to a concert, a show, or have some other NON-food related celebration.
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What about doing something like "fruit nachos" Slice up apples, strawberries, grapes, etc and layer them on a platter and drizzle them with chocolate or some other sauce.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask her beforehand if she actually wants a cake for her birthday, and go with what she says? If being faced with a cake freaks her out or upsets her then she's unlikely to feel "normal" or celebratory.

^^^^This^^^
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake with berries?

If she isn't comfortable eating cake, maybe just make a nice fruit salad?
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    wrap a present and make it look like a cake(like with a round box and decorate it) then hot glue candles to it. she gets to blow out candles without the cake :D
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    oooh so sorry to hear that. who says u need a cake to celebrate a birthday? just get something healthy like fruit. make a cute arrangement on a fancy plate put a few candles in some of the pieces and bam! :wink:
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Why does there have to be food involved? Just spend time with her, go shopping maybe, have just a cup of tea, go to a movie, go for a walk. It's her special day, make her feel special by celebrating her and her life and that you are sisters!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    wrap a present and make it look like a cake(like with a round box and decorate it) then hot glue candles to it. she gets to blow out candles without the cake :D

This is brilliant!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Is your sister getting the help she needs?

Today was my birthday. I'm in recovery from Anorexia. Birthdays are hard still. Even tho I'm not longer anorexic, I still have a hard time. Today my parents got me a doughnut for breakfast, an ice cream cake to celebrate and took me out to dinner. I do feel guilty but I was also able to enjoy it.

My parents encourage me to eat. It's really dangerous to enable someone whose anorexic. I know she isn't going to go out and eat cake without being through recovery and getting help but she should be being encouraged to eat more. I agree forcing doesn't help and you especially don't want to pressure her on her birthday but it isn't anyway to live.

I hope you and your sister both get the help you need here. That is my real concern.