Beer Diary

Options
I will use this thread to post my impressions of the various beers that I have been and will be drinking. Please feel free to not just comment, but to share your own beer thoughts, impression, likes and dislikes, and reviews.

Replies

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The highlight of my day yesterday was a bottle of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel.

Not my favorite style of bier but this one is truly outstanding. Someone else mentioned, "All of their beers are awesome examples of the style. I think I like their Korbinian the best (doppelbock)."

weihenstephaner-dunkel.jpg
  • larkei
    larkei Posts: 19
    Options
    oh man.. i drink like a fish.. but not beer.. last night it was tons and tons of shots (Buttery Nipples) however it is usually just white wine. a big *kitten* bottle... almost everyday. Im afraid that im shooting myself in the foot concerning the weight loss, however ive always been this way and havent gained even 1lb back since i started in May. I only drink water the rest of the time and i always eat dinner first.. someone told me that if you drink before you eat that your body is too bust trying to break down the alcohol to pay attention to the food there for resulting in weight gain. i dont know how true that is but i am so happy to see someone else on here drinks (assumedly) like me
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    I agree that the Korbinian is the best!
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Saw pic of same guy, with fastfood Icons tattoo all over him.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    Saw pic of same guy, with fastfood Icons tattoo all over him.
    I had them removed since then. :-)
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    As a follow up to the last night's dunkel, today I picked up a bottle of Erdinger Hefe-Weizen. Again, I'm not much of a fan of this style of bier, but the yesterday's sample of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel seemed much tastier and much more complex.

erdinger1.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I got burned out on hefeweissens a while back but I picked this one up the other day and it really blew me away. I will definitely get more of this:
    DSC_0698-174x300.jpg
  • sjohnny
    Options
    My brother and I split one of these this weekend. It made me want to go home and throw all my other beers in the trash. I now need to get more of this and it's really freakin hard to find. Avery's Uncle Jacob's Imperial Stout.
    sUncleJacob.jpg
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a home brewer. One of our last recipes was a near perfect hefeweizen, that tastes almost exactly like Paulaner. Good mouth feel and everything.We tried a couple of sorghum batches recently. They're still in secondary fermentation. We have some extra honey from our hives, so tonight we're brewing a Braggot. My favorite beer we brew is any I P A. Hops, hops, and more hops. Love 'em. As for store bought, couple of weekends ago, I tried a Woodlands IPA. It had a slight caramel taste. The hoppiness was adequate. Usually I go for tried and true Sierra Nevada. The winter Rye is my favorite. I need to brew a winter rye. There's a thought! I'm doing low carb, so very little beer for me right now. But at Christmas, I intend to taste our creations.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    I got burned out on hefeweissens a while back but I picked this one up the other day and it really blew me away. I will definitely get more of this:
    DSC_0698-174x300.jpg
    I've never seen this label around here but I'll keep my eyes open.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    Usually I go for tried and true Sierra Nevada.
    My "true and tried" breweries would be Lagunitas, Port Brewing, and Green Flash Brewing. Of course, Russian River is in the Divine status and remains untouchable.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I'm still relatively new at the beer nerd game but I'd have to say Dogfish Head and Avery are definitely tried and true for me. Left Hand is up there as well.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    Going with heffeweizen for the third evening, I tried the one that's the most common around here, pictured below. Of the three, this is definitely the bottom of the barrel. Unsatisfied, I had to open another bottle, this time it was a 12 oz Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Just slight hint of smoke mixed in with a nice and balanced DIPA, another nice offering from Lagunitas.

franziskaner.jpg

brown_shugga.jpg
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    I'm still relatively new at the beer nerd game but I'd have to say Dogfish Head and Avery are definitely tried and true for me. Left Hand is up there as well.
    I've only had Dogfish once, about a year ago. I think it was the 90 minute IPA. I didn't care for it then, but I'll have to give it another try.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I'm not a fan of IPAs but there are a couple that are okay. The Dogfish Head 90 minute is okay for me. The DFH 120 minute IPA is outfreakinstanding. I've had several of their others and they've pretty much all been good.
    Miles Davis *****es Brew Imperial Stout - awesome. In my top 5
    120 Minute IPA - very damn good. 18 or 20% depending on the year.
    Raison D'Etre - really good. It's become a relatively regularly consumed beverage for me
    Midas Touch - sweet and smooth. This one was different. Very good but a little different.
    90 Minute IPA - Okay. On the edge of too hoppy for me.
    60 Minute IPA - Nope. Tastes like Pinesol and grapefruit.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    Midas Touch - sweet and smooth. This one was different. Very good but a little different.
    Midas Touch has grapes added to it and it's an odd combination.
  • Kotuliak
    Options
    Trying yet another German beer tonight - Ayinger Jahrhunderrt-Bier. Very pleasant, nicely balanced beer. I think they call it Dortmunder style. It is interesting that Germans have been brewing beer for centuries and they never seemed to experiment with the malty styles like Belgian ales, or hoppy styles like IPAs.

Nice bier but again, I think I'll have to open another bottle with a bit more kick.

Ayinger_Jahrhudert.jpg

And here is my follow up - Chimay Blue. A well established Belgian Dark Ale. Outstanding all around.

chimayBlue.gif
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Chimay Bleu is ALWAYS a good choice.

ALWAYS
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Midas Touch has grapes added to it and it's an odd combination.

It is odd. I like it but it's not something I would drink every day or anything.
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nice thread! I'll definitely be keeping up with this. I love beer, just haven't been drinking any lately....It's not conducive with my weight loss at the moment. Anywho. Keep up the good work ladies and gentlemen. Oh, and I would like to actually see pics of the beer you are drinking in your glass. If I have to live vicariously through ya'll, then let's make it as real as possible! Just a thought.