Feeling worthless.

Options
I'm at my heaviest ever and I don't know what to do. I wish so bad I could change, but my mind is stopping me. Like when I decide to go out for a walk, after ten minutes I'm out of breath and I just feel so horrible. My mind is telling me I'm a huge stupid cow and there's no chance I will ever be able to lose weight, after things like this I then always end up eating my feelings. I don't really know what to do, I'm stuck in this. My biggest wish is just to feel good about myself. Pardon me if my english is bad..

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you're out of breath after 10 minutes of walking, YOU'RE DOING GOOD. Being out of breath means you're pushing your limits. That's a great thing. You should not beat yourself up for doing something good!

Take a break, and do it again later the day, or even the next day. Keep doing it, and the 10 minutes will turn into 12, 15, 30... eventually 60+ minutes of running (if you choose to pursue running).
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    More importantly, remember that your worth does not come from your weight or shape. As cliche as it sounds, who you are inside is much more important than what you look like. Plus, you have skills and talents, don't you? Those count too!

I'm sure you don't look at OTHER people at your weight (or heavier) and think, "wow, what a worthless excuse of a human being." You're being too harsh on yourself. You deserve as much respect and understanding as you give to other people.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Stop those thoughts in their tracks and replace them with positive ones.
    Tell yourself that NO, you are not a stupid cow. Remind yourself that you are getting up and doing something--10 minutes of walking is more than what you *were* doing. Remind yourself that you are strong enough to keep going and not give up--everyday you will try a little harder, go a little farther, and breathe a little easier. Have faith in yourself that one day you will look back on this starting point and feel PROUD of what you have accomplished.
    You may have a long road ahead of you, but as long as you keep putting one foot in front of the other, you WILL get there eventually.
    Many of us have started right where you are now. You can do this.
  • WOV_mom
    WOV_mom Posts: 11
    Options
    It's OK, Dr. Oz said, "if you can do 3, 10 minutes a day, you have completed your 30 mins. It's OK, take baby steps but eventually you will get to a higher speed. Don't quit just keep going, you fine :)
  • meggolego
    Options
    It really is mind over matter! Realize that you are good enough and you are going to succeed. Believe in yourself!!
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always try to look at it this way: Even if I don't lose weight right away or I plateau for a while, exercise is good for you, period. Like others said, take a rest. Do ten minutes in the morning, afternoon, evening. And you've got 30 minutes. Then try to push it to 15 minutes each time, then 20. Little goals, baby steps. You can do it!
  • jbug8
    jbug8 Posts: 2
    Options
    seriously, yeah for ten minutes, tomorrow 15 minutes, take it slow, every minute more is an accomplishment! the only person you have to prove anything to, is you. You matter! What you can do, til you work up to more is what you can do. Just remember it is better than nothing.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has already been said though I would add one thing; tell yourself that "I can do this. Only good things can come from this." A little positive twist to your thoughts will go a long way. We all believe in you. You only have to believe in yourself now.

I will happily be your cheerleader, feel free to add me.
  • controlkeys
    Options
    thank you all for support and some really good advice. i guess baby steps will get me to where i want to be faster than sitting on my butt doing nothing..
  • SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey control, a positive attitude and a little will power is all it takes. I've only been here a week, but I'm down 10lbs with only a few changes to both diet and exercise. It can and will be done if you set your mind to it.
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You CAN get to the top of the mountain, but it is one step at a time. Cliche-sounding but true. Do you have someone willing to walk with you? Do you have a dog? A few years ago I started talking to the lady in the post office and she felt bad about her weight too, so we started walking most every day on hour lunch break. I started bringing my dog along. Now even when my buddy can't come, my dog is giving me those looks of excitement and anticipation. I don't want to disappoint either, so many times I go just to make my buddy or my dog happy. Even if you don't see the weight falling off like you want, remember that you are doing something to help your health, your heart, your circulation, oxygenating your brain. Keep going!!
  • bordsilly
    bordsilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is so true keep up the good work you will make it!!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm at my heaviest ever and I don't know what to do. I wish so bad I could change, but my mind is stopping me. Like when I decide to go out for a walk, after ten minutes I'm out of breath and I just feel so horrible. My mind is telling me I'm a huge stupid cow and there's no chance I will ever be able to lose weight, after things like this I then always end up eating my feelings. I don't really know what to do, I'm stuck in this. My biggest wish is just to feel good about myself. Pardon me if my english is bad..

You have to start somewhere! Don't beat yourself up You CAN DO IT!!!! Just stick with it!!!! If it was easy everyone in the world would be skinny!! Stick it out and push yourself a little more every day, It will get easier.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I felt like that before I started too. Just remember, ONLY you can change this. Positive self talk is the way to get through this. Love yourself.. inside and out. You are a good person, so realize it.

10 mins and breathless.. when I started I remember going up to one of the guys I work with telling him that I was able to do 6 minutes on the bike. That was a big deal for me. I had to lift my leg over it to get on, but I did it.
    Now I can do an hour and lots of other things too. You work up to it. 10 minutes is GREAT!!! Soon it will be 12, then 15 .. then you are off to the races!

Make friends to stay positive and focused. Set a picture of an outfit you want to wear or a certain look you want as a SHORT term goal. Work towards it.

Good luck! We are here for you.
  • myssetareh
    Options
    the good thing about mfp is you can eat whatever you want as long as you're having the right portions. try dancing put some nice music on and have a good dance. hopefully that will make u feel better and you will lose the calories. don't give up dear. another piece of advice I recently bought a heart rate monitor watch and I'm amazed at the amount of calories you can burn doing a short workout so why not give it a go?you will feel more motivated and see the pounds lost. good luck!don't worry be happy:)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

been there, done that. 10 months ago I was 5'2" tall and 228.4lbs. First picture is 2.5 months AFTER I started my journey.

7355961762_499d855e15_s.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I went to the gym 4x a week, and walked 30 minutes on the treadmill. By the time I got off, I was breathing super heavy, and was unsteady on my feet, sweat pouring off me.

taken about 6-8 weeks after the first picture.
    7355963344_c7a99ddd15_s.jpg
    IMG00549-20120608-0953 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

A few weeks ago, I finally took a beginner class on some of the strength machines at the gym. I scared off one of the old guys who took the class with me--not only did I have better form than he did, but on 2 of the exercises, I had to double the weight the trainer put on! Today I am planning on seeing how much I can leg press--Friday I did 168# ( 118lb bar + 2 25lb plates).
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    You are stronger than you realise. It is sooooo much easier to exercise when you are already fit so you are a megastar for doing what you are doing now - it will get easier if you do a little each day. It used to help me to think that every day I did some exercise I was a teeny tiny bit smaller than I was the day before.

Remember too that all is not lost if you overindulge or miss a workout - just keep going the next day. Please believe me when I tell you the pain is worth it and you are worth it too. It is such a catch 22 that to stop that horrible feeling of worthlessness you have to go through what feels like torture first!