Carb Detox

Options
Has anyone done a carb detox? My trainer recommened I do this to help detox my body but to also help with those pesky little food cravings....

If you have what did you do? Have you heard anything negative about doing this??

Thanks for the help!
Lisa

Replies

• sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with any "detox" diet. There's a tendancy to go overboard. See: The Master Cleanse, http://themastercleanse.org/

Next week I'm doing a gluten cleanse: aka, not eating any product with wheat gluten (bread, pasta, crackers, etc) for a week. I stick to healthy starches like rice. I probably won't eat any white potatoes, either, but maybe a baked yam with pepper, thyme and maple syrup.

In general: a cleanse or detox isn't about drinking lemon juice with cayene pepper for a week and totally destroying your body. It's about eating healthy foods, not things that come out of boxes. Make sure you're meeting your nutritional requirements (especially fiber and protein). Also, you may want to consult your doctor before drastically altering your diet. Have some basic blood tests and discuss your current as well as desired eating habits with your doc. There are things revealed by a blood test that your trainer would have no way of knowing otherwise. It's always best to be informed.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done a carb detox? My trainer recommened I do this to help detox my body but to also help with those pesky little food cravings....

If you have what did you do? Have you heard anything negative about doing this??

Thanks for the help!
    Lisa

I would find a new trainer.
  • Barby28
    Options
    I've done it!! Works Great! Basically all you have to do is eat foods that are low in carbs... like salads w/oil and vinegar dressing (or other low carb dressing -- not low cal cuz they are usually HIGH in carbs), other low carb vegies like asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc.
    I did the detox a bit different than what you find on the ehow and such sites (didn't eat any fruit or juice for a couple weeks).... but all it really is IMO is the first phase of the Atkins diet-- stay under 20 grams of carbs everyday. (You loose like crazy once your metabolism switches over!!! like I think for women the adv. is 8 lbs per week)

eat all the meats you want and usually all the non-processed dairy as well (as long as its low in carbs).

Really helps getting rid of cravings!! The first couple of days -- for some ppl weeks;depending how addicted you were to carbs... SUCKS!! Take asprin or tylenol for headaches (which you will have) others also experience dizzy spells, fatigue, and other side effects --- THESE ARE GOOD! WILL STOP WHEN YOUR METABOLISM SWITCHES OVER TO BURNING FAT!!!!
    My withdrawal usually takes 2 days with exercise (speeds up the process of getting you metabolism to switch over)

Limit sodas and tea and coffee
    eat 2 servings of salad per day
    eat 1 serving of vegies (like asparagus, spinach, green peppers and other low carb vegies)
    and all the meat you want (beef,chicken,fish,shell fish, pork) NOT PROCESSED!!
    Sample menu:
    Breakfast: decaf tea or coffee with splenda
    cheese and spinach omelet
    low carb oopsie roll (google for recipe)
    can have full fat homemade yougurt as well (lots of good recipes on low carb forums!!)

Lunch: Salad with low carb dressing and choice of meat (can't have any batter or like steak sauce-- mustard is ok)
    diet cola
    oopsie roll

dinner: lasagna (low carb of course-- google low carb lasagna for recipe) with a side salad and oopsie roll and diet soda

in between this get in your 8 glasses of water..... if you want a snack google low carb induction friendly desserts!!

Most of the NEGATIVE comments come from ppl who are misinformed or mislead concerning the diet/detox...

like many call Atkins diet unbalanced...well, I could say the same for most ppls regular diets nowadays. The difference is on Atkins its TEMPORARY usually 2 weeks and you gradually start adding foods back into your diet, by doing so you identify food allergies that you may not of realized you had!!! Stick with your current trainer!! He/she knows what he/she is doing!!!

and if you use a 'juice' make sure it is low carb.... other wise you'll just be drinking SUGAR WHICH IS A CARB!!!
    Lemons are okay cuz they are low in carbs.
    Most Fruit when eaten turns to sugar... fructose/dextrose body doesn't know the difference.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help!
    Lisa

I would find a new trainer.
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    This is pretty much the same thing as the first 2 weeks of the south beach diet as well. Eat all the meat and veggies (except potatoes or corn) you want and low fat dairy. No carbs or sugar. It works well to banish your cravings for these things and you will DEF. lose weight.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I have had success by watching my carb intake. I would however research this topic better so that you can become more educated on the process rather then just take your trainers word for it. It can be very effective but its not for everyone. Read up and see if this is a diet change you are willing to try.
  • LisaNBorchers
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will give it a try, it was suggested that I only need to limit it to 3-4 days as I am already on a no processed foods diet.

Those potato chips and pasta are weighing heavily on my mind these days:)
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options

It's about eating healthy foods, not things that come out of boxes. Make sure you're meeting your nutritional requirements (especially fiber and protein).

This is a great 'mantra' for how we should be eating everyday, not just for a detox. It's something I try to do - not always successfully, but I figure if i can eat 'clean' like this for most of the time I won't need a detox as such because I'm fuelling my body with less processed food.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Low carbing is not something to just try its a life style change. You will completely changing how your body works if it is something you don't think you could be on long term you might want to go in a different direction. If you cut out carbs or restrict them heavily you will lose but it will be mostly water weight at first and if you start eating carbs again the weight will come back.