quitting sugar. omg i feel like im in rehab

Options
Anyone else deal with sugar withdrawals? I have headaches, fatigue, moodswings. Lazy! And just plain. Bleh!!! I can barely get out of bed!!

Replies

• craftybirdy
    Options
    That means it's working! Good job. It will get better soon.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up.. your body is used to all that sugar. Once it's 'purged' from your system, you'll feel so much better!!

Just my 2 cents!

Gloria
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You are strong. I can't even "quit" to begin with
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm working on this, too. However, I'm easing into it. Anyway, things I find help: More protein, no white carbs and fewer carbs in general, good dark chocolate (high cocoa/low sugar count and just a square or two), get plenty of sleep and keep exercising. :O)
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's so difficult! I found that for me, cutting out sugar is just not realisitic. I know that some people can make it work on this show and I think that is fantastic for them, but it will not work for me, I just know myself well enough to know that. I have something sweet every day and I am still managing to lose weight. I believe in moderation, if I want to have something sweet I will just make sure it fits into my calorie goal for the day and so some exercise that day, and make sure to use PORTION CONTROL.
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is the toughest thing to get rid of, EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it when you start reading the labels. Even things that don't seem to need sugar (spaghetti sauce) and then there was that cheap chicken we got, fresh chicken and it tasted sooooo good, read the label and low and behold there was sugar in it! Good luck!
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I, too am quitting sugar, but doing it slowly. My first step has been cutting out the sodas. I'm on week three and have had two. The first week was REALLY hard, but I have gotten to where I don't even think about it anymore. Next month I am going to pick another part of my food intake with a lot of sugar and cut it out.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this, too. However, I'm easing into it. Anyway, things I find help: More protein, no white carbs and fewer carbs in general, good dark chocolate (high cocoa/low sugar count and just a square or two), get plenty of sleep and keep exercising. :O)
    This is what I have been doing for over a year. The only thing I would add is to get plenty of water. It's working for me. I have a couple pieces of dark chocolate about every other day.

After pulling back on carbs and added sugars for a couple of months the sugar cravings dissipated. The cravings aren't gone altogether, but hey have been diminished by a fair amount. Now when I have something sweet it's really sweet. I think I was having far too many sweets before and my taste-buds became somewhat desensitized to sweetness.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I quit sugar in July and it was really, really tough! I had many of the same symptoms you described but they lasted less than 2 weeks. I am a ligit sugar addict...no getting around it. I would eat mostly sugar everyday! I got through it and I haven't touched the stuff in 4 months (that includes hidden sugars in processed foods and such). The biggest advice I can offer is not to give up. Once you are through the first few weeks you will get your energy back and the cravings will go away. Also, beware of white flour and other useless carbs because they will make you crave sugar again. Another thing to be caerful of are sugar alcohols. I thought "sugar free" chocolate would be a nice little treat.....OMG I thought I was going to DIE. It did not sit well with me or my family members and I know others have had the same experience. Good luck to ya! You can do this!!!
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try to outlast the cravings.....they should go away fairly quickly, along with your orher symptoms. I gave up sugar starting on August 20, and within a week, the cravings were pretty much gone. You can do it!