high protein red lentil vegan recipes please :)

Options
feathertouch
feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
Pleeeease does anyone have any nice vegan red lentil recipes they would kindly share :)

Replies

• bobbyrosegr2000
    Options
    Hi - SO SO easy, can be done with any colored lentils. I also add split peas.

Add turmeric, garlic flakes, cumin seeds, curry powder, chilli, fennel to a hot pan with a little bit of sesame, peanut or coconut oil. Make sure you are constantly stiring the spices so they do not burn. Once the aroma has changed and you are able to smell the spices more, add sliced onion and cook till soft. Add coconut milk/cream and simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste.

At the same time, cook your lentils in plain unsalted water.

Mix lentils with spices/coconut milk and you have one amazingly simple/fast/healthy and tasty meal!
  • feathertouch
    Options
    this sounds simply devine!! I'll make some on friday for the weekend I think :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Couple here for Spaghetti sauces:

1 heaped cup red lentils, uncooked
    2 tbsp oil
    1 chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 x 800 tin tomatoes (or 2 x 400g)
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp Marmite (optional)
    2 tbsp basil pesto or fresh/dried chopped herbs
    salt and pepper

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Pour in the lentils and stir to ensure they are not stuck on the bottom. Boil the lentils for 8 - 10 minutes until soft.

Heat the oil in a small pan and saute the onion and garlic until soft. In a food processor place the tomatoes, tomato paste, cooked onion and garlic, sugar, Marmite, pesto and salt and pepper. Pulse to combine. If you do not have a processor, just chop the tomatoes and combine all the ingredients in a bowl). Drain the lentils and add them to the mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste.

The pesto really makes this dish, we love it topped with grated cheese just like meat bolognaise too!

Red Lentil Bolognaise: #2
    1pkt red lentils, cooked
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    1 capsicum, really finely chopped
    2 - 3 garlic cloves
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp basil
    2 bay leaves
    2 x 420g tins tomatoes
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    1 x Massel all vegie beef stock cube
    pasta shape of your choice

METHOD

In a large saute pan, fry up onion, add capsicum and cook well.
    Add dried herbs and garlic, being careful not to burn.
    Add in the pot of cooked lentils which will boil suddenly like crazy, so turn the heat down and mix thoroughly.
    Add tins of tomatoes and mix well, then add tomato paste, bay leaves and stock cube.
    Simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
    Serve atop freshly cooked pasta. Grown-ups can add dried chilli for extra zing.

VARIATION

Try hiding other vegies in this dish - our favourite is the flesh of an eggplant that has spent an hour roasting in the oven.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    My son was vegan for a while, and we were all vegetarian for a couple of years. SO I have quite a collection of great non-meat dishes :-)

DAHL (Vegan)
    ingredients
    1 onion
    bag spinach (prefer washed for convenience, around 300-400g)
    1 cup red lentils
    1 tbsp cumin powder
    1/2 tbsp turmeric
    1/2 tbsp coriander powder
    vegan veg stock cube dissolved in 3 cups hot water
    juice 1/2 lemon - more if not tasty enough

Boil water and dissolve stock cube.
    Fry onions in a little oil until golden and softened, add all spices and fry for a minute to release the flavour. Mix in lentils and the stock. Simmer low for 20-30 minutes adding more water if necessary to keep it 'soupy' and until the lentils are cooked. When cooked add lemon juice and salt to taste. Add the spinach a handful at a time, it wilts down to nothing.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    1 cup of dried red lentils (pre-soaked) $0.90c
    1 can of 4 bean mix $0.90c
    1 satchel of taco mix $1.90 OR SEE MEXICAN SEASONING MIX RECEIPE
    1 can tinned tomatoes $0.90c
    1 capsicum, chopped $1.00
    Total cost is $5.60

This makes a hearty, chunky sauce which can then be used in a variety of Mexican dishes. The strong flavouring of the taco seasoning really gives the lentils and beans a tasty boost and helps me sneak it past a beef loving hubby! You can use this recipe to make burritos and enchiladas and tortilla snacks (a Mexican lasagne made with tortillas instead of pasta).
    PS I am Aussie so these are $Aus prices

MEXICAN SEASONING
    1 heaped Tbsp ground cumin
    2 tsps sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp oregano
    1 Tbsp chilli powder
    1 Tbsp onion powder or flakes
    1 Tbsp garlic powder or flakes

Process all ingredients in a coffee grinder, blender or food processor, or grind in a mortar and pestle.

Place in a screw top jar and use as a sprinkle over spicy wedges or in salsas, chilli dishes and refried beans.
  • feathertouch
    Options
    wow thank you so so so so much! these all sound amazingly tasty :) will certainly need to get some red lentils in now, would be a sin not to try any of these :) thank you
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump! :D