Thinking about becoming a vegetarian?

Options
Anyone else a vegetarian? I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian mainly because it is more healthy and I did this in the past and post 20 lbs, but got severely dehydrated and sick and my dad said it was because I wasn't getting all the nutrients I needed without meat. What do vegetarians eat to get those extra nutrients they need without feeling drained or sick? Dad said peanut butter and nuts are some that I could eat in the past. When I say vegetarian I mean open to eggs, salad, everything except meat, not a strict vegan than eliminates eggs, fish etc. thanks for any input and support.

Michelle

Ps. This is my 2nd day on mfp- feel free to add me as a friend! Have a great day everyone and good luck reaching everyone's goals! :)

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle. Welcome to MFP! I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 years and have never had a problem getting all of my nutrients. You don't *need* meat to get them. I've also never been sick (cold, flu, etc.) since becoming veggie, so there's something to be said for that. Feel free to add me and look at my diary. I do admit to being a *lazy* veggie - I eat a lot of *fake* meat, because I don't have a lot of time to cook true vegetarian meals, but most of it is non-soy. I feel great and, at 44 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life!
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My entire family are vegetarian because they are Hindus. I was one from birth up until I was 16, when I willingly (and very happily) 'converted' and became a non-vegetarian. Fairly clued up on good sources of protein and so on as a result lol.

What do you feel you are deficient in? Protein? You can eat eggs, cheese, milk, some nuts are excellent as well, tofu, etc. There is a larger list than people realise. Carbs, there are lots of good carbs sources - noodles, pasta, rice, bread, etc. Fat, obviously you have vegetable oils, butter, etc. Eat a good amount of veg for your fibre and vitamin intake, things like spinach are great, berries, and so on. Just make sure to take some iron supplements and possibly a multivitamin as well (though if your multivitamin has calcium and you are taking an iron supplement, don't take them at the same time as they interfere with the absorption of the other - you won't get as much iron into your system this way). If you feel dehydrated, drink plenty of water and make sure you are getting your electrolytes and essential salts in. It will be difficult getting all of your essential amino acids, but as long as you eat a wide variety of food, you should be fine. Also, resist the temptation to eat a crap-ton of carbs to make up for the limitations in your protein options - I found it led to a lot of water retention on my side, and made me very sluggish and just feeling terrible.

Personally I hated being a vegetarian - I felt restricted in many ways, and I just didn't see how it was logical. I feel much better being a non-vegetarian, and just happier. But good luck on your venture, I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Also, get creative with your recipes - there are a LOT of amazing vegetarian recipes out there, just because you cannot eat meat doesn't mean you are TOO limited (though I found it was too limiting in my eyes).
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    As all the vegetarians (like myself) will say on here, being vegetarian doesn't mean healthy. You still need a balanced diet. I strongly recommend googling vegetarian food pyramids. That will ensure you get what you need without feeling sick. Secondly you will need a ton of protein eg eggs, dairy, lentils, beans, fake meats and tofu. That will be your key to being full and helping you lose weight. You need lots of dark green vegetables. I get my blood tested every six months to ensure I am ok. The only thing I lack is iron but I had that before I was vegetarian.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian mainly because it is more healthy

Healthier than what?
  • gracenhalee08
    Options
    I figured it was more healthier than having a temptation when out and about to grab a salad at mc Donald's instead of a hamburger or chicken sandwich Or a 6 inch veggie deliver sub than a turkey one with cheese and a bunch of fattening stuff on it I figured that would rack up the calorie intake because alot of what I eat is meat so eliminating that and eating vegetables, fruits, berries more often nuts, eggs, I figured it would be less fattening. I use to eat refrained beans and bean burritos instead of beef when I went on a vegetarian diet with another vegetarian prior and from that alone I noticed I lost a tremendous amount of weight when I eliminated meat and ate everything else around it. I know it probably sounds crazy, but it worked!
  • gracenhalee08
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the food selections and ideas! Great advice! Thanks so much!
  • gracenhalee08
    Options
    Veggie delite my spell checker put delivery. Sorry for any confusion! ;)
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a good vegetarian cookbook. I like Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" because it's written with non-vegetarians and new vegetarians in mind.

As others have said a vegetarian diet is not necessarily a healthier diet. Personally I found that I ate a healthier diet when I went back to eating some meat after 12 years as a straight vegetarian. I now describe myself as mostly-vegetarian.

Even if you don't go vegetarian permanently, I think being a vegetarian, even temporarily, can be a great experience as it can introduce you to a lot of new foods that you never would have thought about eating and teach you to use ingredients in interesting ways. It will definitely expand your diet possibilities if you do it right (by which I mean the way others here have suggested -- researching proper nutrition etc.).
  • Ripacheco
    Options
    Become a vegetarian for convenience. Eat vegetarian meals because they are healthy not because you want to BE a vegetarian. If you want to eat meat go for it.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 15, and learned there are definitely healthy and nonhealthy ways to do this! I have really been working to correct my mistakes and learn how to eat a well balanced vegetarian diet over the last few years. I try to eat plenty of protein, greens, and whole grains. I have eggs almost every morning so I get the B12 I'm missing from not eating meat. Other than that, I don't feel there are any nutrients I would be missing from my diet. I get protein from eggs, low fat cheese, soy based "meats," tofu, and soymilk.
  • Laina2496
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for almost 2 years and then someone told me that I was to young and didn't know what I was doing and that I was killing my body and that I needed meat. So I thought they were right and I started eating meat again. But I hate it because its one an animal and two its not good for the body. So I went to my doctor and she told me that becoming a vegetarian is a very wise decision, and told me since I'm only 18 that the real protein I need can come form egg whites. So since I'm 1) trying to lose weight and 2) trying to become healthy again I am going to try to become a vegetarian again. Because honestly I miss it, something I like as a high school student it sets you apart from everyone else and its a part of my personality. I'm different and I enjoy it. Only thing is I seem to have lost my way to become a vegetarian again, I guess little steps help. :happy: