Increased calories

Options
qtrhrse1
qtrhrse1 Posts: 19 Member
Has anyone had better results with increased calorie intake? Have been had good results and thought ibhadvread when they increased calories they ad better results

Replies

• mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The last 2 weeks I have been eating around the 1200-1300 calorie range and lost exactly 2.4lbs. My weigh in day is on Tuesday, but I couldn't resist and checked yesterday and have lost 2.4lbs, so 4.8lbs in 3 weeks. Very happy with this. I am still pretty heavy so I guess this is why the weight is falling off so quickly. Also, I have 1 day in the week where I go for a long walk somewhere and then treat myself to some junk (pastry/muffin/burger etc - it doesn't have to be junk) I never go over my calorie intake on this day and my net ends up being around 1300 calories - this may be helping me too?

Maybe you could try that? Give yourself a day like this once in a week or every other week, but carry on eating around 1200-1300 calories?

Feel free to add me to check my diary
  • qtrhrse1
    qtrhrse1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you add extra calories for working out or you just stay at 1200 to 1300 everyday no matter what
  • mudya
    Options
    I don't work out which is why I'm eating around that much. I live away for university and don't feel comfortable jogging outside. But when I go back home I exercise since we have a treadmill at home. Wish it was here with me! And yes, when I do exercise I make sure my net is 1200, I've kind of made that mistake in the past, woke up feeling very dizzy one week and realised it had something to do with my net being 1000kcals... But the other day I felt dizzy again, I just have to listen to my body and eat a little more i'm walking to and back from university - because even though its not heavy exercise, i'm still burning extra calories.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My trainer used to always tell me to try eating more, especially when I hit plateaus, I tried a few times and gave up within a day or two because I was so scared I'd put on.

Well... I've been at a standstill for the past 2+ months, I haven't lost a thing (in fact I gained - I just didn't log it) even when I dramatically increased my exercise. That was until 2 weeks ago. I discovered a new meal & had it several times a week for the last two weeks, but I logged the calories incorrectly and I was actually taking in an additional 300-390cals on those three days, while the other 4 I ate around 1200.

Long story short, I've lost about 5lb and only realised yesterday that the meal was so much higher in calories. So I bit the bullet, I've upped my daily calorie goal to 1460 (1/5 lb per week instead of 1lb per week). I'm wanting to eat around the 1200 mark 4 days a week and 1460 3 days a week for awhile to see how that goes. I'm hoping the variance will help confuse my body and keep away any more plateaus PLUS I'm fairly close to my GW now and should really be working towards easing myself and my body into eating at maintenance.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/781625-my-28-day-experiment-was-a-success
    ^^ just one example of eating just below your TDEE and that it WORKS.

There are many groups on here that talk about eating more to lose more.

Eating 1200-1300 is very dangerous and makes you lose muscle as well as fat, which makes you weaker and makes your metabolism go down and makes you burn fewer calories because you have less muscle! You'll be irritable, hit plateaus, hungry and tired. Your hair quality, skin quality will go down. You'll have a hard time focusing. Won't sleep as well.

I did the 1200 calories thing, it's nothing that you can do for the LONG RUN. YOu want to be healthy and skinny forever, right? Well then you have to focus on being healthy not on losing weight quickly. The weight will fall off itself if you are healthy.

Here's my example of what eating 1700-1900 calories per day for the past 9 months and lifting heavy has gotten me:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/782188-nsv-start-of-my-lady-v-d
  • mudya
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/781625-my-28-day-experiment-was-a-success
    ^^ just one example of eating just below your TDEE and that it WORKS.

There are many groups on here that talk about eating more to lose more.

Eating 1200-1300 is very dangerous and makes you lose muscle as well as fat, which makes you weaker and makes your metabolism go down and makes you burn fewer calories because you have less muscle! You'll be irritable, hit plateaus, hungry and tired. Your hair quality, skin quality will go down. You'll have a hard time focusing. Won't sleep as well.

I did the 1200 calories thing, it's nothing that you can do for the LONG RUN. YOu want to be healthy and skinny forever, right? Well then you have to focus on being healthy not on losing weight quickly. The weight will fall off itself if you are healthy.

Here's my example of what eating 1700-1900 calories per day for the past 9 months and lifting heavy has gotten me:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/782188-nsv-start-of-my-lady-v-d

I agree, you can't do it forever - its just not enough calories. But I usually switch it up. This is my last week on 1200-1300. Then I'll go back to 1500 for maybe 3 weeks and back to 1200-1300 for 2 weeks. Also, I have once a week where I eat quite a bit (1700kcals plus exercise) which partly makes up for eating so little.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group on here - a wealth of information there about eating more calories based on your BMR and TDEE. And if that doesn't make sense, that's ok because they explain it all.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You have to find your own balance. I had mine at 1800 for ages and didnt eat back exercise cals. I then upped my calories to 2000 to take into account some of these exercise cals and i maintained. Now i've gone back down to 1800 and with my current exercise level (gym 3 nights, basketball 1 night with weights inbetween) it seems to be the sweet spot for a constant 3lb per week.

There was a period where I put myself on 1400 and only ate back partial exercise cals but i didnt lose a thing and it really affected my sleep!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!