Calorie counting and still gaining weight....

MissJessicaCA
MissJessicaCA Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, everybody. So I've been calorie counting and instead of loosing weight I'm gaining weight. It doesn't make since to me because I'm working out 5 times a week. Yes, I have not been eating more calories then I'm "allowed". Are there some foods that I just shouldn't eat that would make me gain weight anyways?

Replies

• bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Well I dont know your specific situation but, working out means you're gaining muscle mass...
    muscle is heavier than fat which means that you could be gaining "weight" but losing inches....

As for what foods you should/shouldn't eat... we all know that 2 cokes and 3 chocolate bars may fall under our calorie limit but its not good for us and doesn't really promote healthy weight loss.

Just make sure you're eating healthy foods with fibre and protein, and if possible less processed foods.
    It is easier on our bodies to process these foods.

Drink lots of water as well! Proper hydration helps elimination and sometimes that can be whats causing little bits of weight to hang around. I did a detox before I started just to make sure my system was clean and at peak performance.

As a final note, pay attention to your body, if you eat something and you get negative results ie. not going to bathroom or stomach upset etc. It could mean that your body has issues processing that type of food and to stay away!

Good luck and stick to it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    A couple of thoughts,

1. If you are working out, then perhaps you are gaining some muscle? Are you feeling the same in your waist, and how your clothes fit?

2. You asked about foods to eat, and I would recommend staying away from the refined carbs, and getting more of your carbs from veggies, fruit, and unprocessed foods.

Hope that is helpful!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Are you eating back the calories you lose while exercising?? You should be... sometimes too little calories will make your body hoard fat.

Are you being 100% honest on your food diary?? Counting bites of food you eat while cooking, that you finish off your children's plates, that peice of candy you took out of the bowl at the doctors office etc?

Have you JUST STARTED exercising?? Your muscles may be sore and swollen and that weight might just be water and will soon go away.

Just some ideas. Whatever you do.... don't give up!

:O)
  • Najila
    Najila Posts: 18
    How many calories are you taking in? I've noticed that when I limit myself to 1300 or less, I seem to gain weight - maybe it's water retention or something, not sure. But when I increase my caloric intake to about 1500 calories, the weight starts coming off. I know this is true for other MFP members - I've seen it on other forum posts. Maybe you could try boosting the intake and concentrate on lowering your sodium intake so you're not retaining water? My suggestions are just educated guesses but hopefully they'll help!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Hi, everybody. So I've been calorie counting and instead of loosing weight I'm gaining weight. It doesn't make since to me because I'm working out 5 times a week. Yes, I have not been eating more calories then I'm "allowed". Are there some foods that I just shouldn't eat that would make me gain weight anyways?
    How long have you been doing this for and how much have you gained?
    It says you joined in Jan 2010. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to see results. Also how much do you have to lose?
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    muscle and fat weigh the same, a pound is a pound, but muscle takes up less room per pound.. so a scale isnt the only way to measure progress.. a tape measure helps too.

Also, yes, the type of food is nearly as important as the quantity of food. Your body can change simple sugars and carbs into energy much easier than it can complex carbs and fiber/protein rich foods, so your body works less. If you dont immediately burn off those calories your body has no problem turning them straight to fat immediately to store them, sort of defeating the whole point.

Try to eat foods "closer to nature". They take more effort for your body to break them down and use them, and thus you will stay full much longer and more satisfied, eating less while not being hungry all the time. Also, they will help provide your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to work properly.

Hope this helps, and i wish you well on your journey
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    muscle and fat weigh the same, a pound is a pound, but muscle takes up less room per pound.. so a scale isnt the only way to measure progress.. a tape measure helps too.

Also, yes, the type of food is nearly as important as the quantity of food. Your body can change simple sugars and carbs into energy much easier than it can complex carbs and fiber/protein rich foods, so your body works less. If you dont immediately burn off those calories your body has no problem turning them straight to fat immediately to store them, sort of defeating the whole point.

Try to eat foods "closer to nature". They take more effort for your body to break them down and use them, and thus you will stay full much longer and more satisfied, eating less while not being hungry all the time. Also, they will help provide your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to work properly.

Hope this helps, and i wish you well on your journey

Density! Thats the word I was looking for and couldn't pull out my brain recesses :) Thanks :D
This discussion has been closed.