Anyone have tried W.w ??

Options
Hey Pals,
I'm looking to lose weight as every body else is here and I was wondering if anyone had tried Weight Watcher and if it worked or has work.
Any friends, advice, comments on it?
Thanks for reading, hope to hear from u pals soon :)
Swaroski

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but my Mum & Sister have with great results :)
  • Swaroski
    Options
    Nice!!!
    How long have they been on it, and how much weight have they lost? Just really wanna make sure before I subscribe that it's worth it :)
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The support is nice but, I prefer calorie counting. I know a few people who really enjoy it though. Worth trying to see how you like it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW online for not just over 8 months. MFP is my back up tracker because I wanted some place to track sodium. Points or calories it essentially the same. The tracking of your food honestly is the main thing.
  • racataca
    racataca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So I did WW and it took me like 3 weeks to lose 2 lbs. I've been using MFP exclusively for about 4 days and have already lost 2 lbs from my weigh in a week ago.

WW is good for some people, but for me the "free" fruits were my downfall - I could subsist off fruits alone, and eating a ton of them isn't good for weight loss, haha.
  • Swaroski
    Options
    Thanks for the anwser.
    But doesnt W.w have "points" counting system or something? I think it might be working with how many pounds u wanna lose and also how many weight u are already no? LOlllll Hard to tell!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    About 10kg each. Sorry not sure how long it took them. Basically its swapping calorie counting for points counting.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    yes I have. It does work but it's slower than calorie counting. Right now I am calorie counting but I plan to use ww as my maintenence diet once I reach goal.
  • cappri
    Options
    Yes WW has a points system, it's pretty easy to use. I think anyway. The points are roughly equal to 40 calories. How many Daily Points you have does depend on your starting weight, and as you lose weight you get less Daily Points, so far I've lost 12 points from where I started. There are also Weekly Points and you can earn Activity Points. Fruits and veggies are zero points, but WW has figured those into their plan. I've been tracking using both WW points and MFP calories since the end of August and I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and my points/calories usually come out about equal for the day.
  • racataca
    Options
    So how WW works is, you weigh in and based on whatever you weigh, you get a specific number of points allotted to you. You can eat that many per day, plus there are 49 "flex" points per week that you can use whenever you want, and that are extra. You also get more points when you do exercise.

So for example, my allotment was 33 points a day, plus the 49 extra a week, and I tended to gain about 7 extra points per every time I exercised, which was about 4 times a week, equally 28 more points.

Then, every food has a point amount assigned to it. Generally if it has more carbs and less fiber, it's going to have more points. Protein bumps it up a little bit too. You can basically eat anything you want, as long as you don't go over your point allotment, but fruits and vegetables are "free," meaning you can eat as many as you want and they don't go against your point allotment.

That last part was my downfall, because I eat fruits like it's going out of style, and though they're WAY better for me than some things, I can't expect to lose weight by eating all 33 points, plus 3 apples, 2 bananas, a cup of grapes, and a pint of blueberries a day, haha. Plus I feel like WW didn't really teach me HOW to eat...it doesn't break down the foods as much as MFP did, and doesn't give you specific ranges of carbs/proteins/fat to aim for.

That said, it works for some people, so def try it out if you're interested!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've tried it three times... always gained the weight back because I wasn't able to make it a lifestyle.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    So I did WW and it took me like 3 weeks to lose 2 lbs. I've been using MFP exclusively for about 4 days and have already lost 2 lbs from my weigh in a week ago.

WW is good for some people, but for me the "free" fruits were my downfall - I could subsist off fruits alone, and eating a ton of them isn't good for weight loss, haha.

this is true. I should specify that the points plus program which offers free fruit doesn't work for me for the same reason. I lose about 1.5-2 lbs a week on the older version flex/momentum plan. Fruits are a point on that plan but veggies are still free. I lost 68 lbs in 7 months on ww in 2007 before points plus. This summer when I first started dieting again I lost my first 15 lbs through ww on the older plan. That took about 6 wks. Calorie counting sped things up a little bit. roughly an extra pound a week? something like that.
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I did about 5 years ago now and back then it wasn't for me.... was a bit too much freedom for me... but that could just be because of my control. have just as much freedom on here but I do alot better with it now so it could just be my age
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Plus I feel like WW didn't really teach me HOW to eat...it doesn't break down the foods as much as MFP did, and doesn't give you specific ranges of carbs/proteins/fat to aim for.

^ This!!
  • cappri
    Options
    I haven't found weight loss to be slow. I'm still averaging 2.1 pounds a week. It was faster in the beginning, but I'm now just 15 pounds above my healthy range, so it's bound to slow down.
  • Nicoleholmes2
    Nicoleholmes2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I joined WW about 9 weeks ago and on average lose about a pound a week before I was tracking on MFP and lost but it was more up and down. I love the community here on MFP so I toggle between the 2.
  • racataca
    Options
    I haven't found weight loss to be slow. I'm still averaging 2.1 pounds a week. It was faster in the beginning, but I'm now just 15 pounds above my healthy range, so it's bound to slow down.

It definitely works for some people! But I'd been doing it for about 5 months up to a week ago and I only ever lost about a half pound a week, if anything, and that was with meticulous tracking. :) For me, it was the fruit, I swear! But everyone's body composition is different so what works for me may not work for everyone, and vice versa.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I never really saw the point. They take something extremely simple (calorie counting) and then try to simplify it even more - to the point of oversimplification. No points for fruits and veggies? Are they magical 0 calorie foods? Of course not. Not to mention, you have to pay for it. Why pay for something you can do very, very easily for free? Plus once you learn how to eat properly it stays with you for life. Who does WW for life?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers for close to three years. I dropped 10 pounds very quickly, then stalled for a year. I was hungry all the time, and miserable -- I got to the point, after I promptly gained seven of those pounds *back*, that I decided it was stupid to pay all that money and be miserable. Having had a history of eating disorders, I can do miserable and hungry on my own, thankyouverymuch!

When I calculate what I ate on Weight Watchers, I learned I was barely clearing 1,200 calories a day. My BMR, by contrast, is 1,475. I think the reason I lost so quickly was because I had a severe deficit at first, but then it got to the point where my body decided that was ridiculous, and it held on to those pounds. Likewise, as soon as I went off, I gained weight back.

That's what I like better about MFP. It's not as much of a one-size-fits-all approach as WW was, and I think it sets me up better for sustainable habits. I'm not hungry on MFP, and I'm not miserable, either.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and honestly the weight loss is probably about the same... I lost MORE weight on the old WW system than their new one (PointsPlus). I prefer to count calories verses points, because there's no calories/carbs/fiber/protein to points calculations and the workout to point conversion is weird too.

Honestly, MFP is FREE and easy as hell to use by comparison.