Vegetable Paella - made in the microwave

Options
cattiemac
cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
Here's a recipe that my friend sent me for a Vegetable Paella that you make in the microwave. I was hesitant to try it since it was all made in the microwave but she's spent lots of time in Spain so I figured it was worth a shot if she gave her seal of approval. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it tasted and it's been added to my weekly rotation!! The recipe is for a Vegetable Paella but you could add any protein you want - I like it with shrimp and with chicken. I cook my protein on it's own and add it to the paella when it's ready.

Serves 4

Ingredients
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed in a garlic press
1 tsp olive oil
1 small can fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
Black pepper to the taste
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into short strips
1 cup frozen peas
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Directions
1. Spray a 2-quart microwaveable casserole (corningware). Place onion and garlic in casserole and microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds.
2. Add broth, rice, tomatoes, water, oregano, chili powder, salt, turmeric, and black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and poke 8-12 vents with a knife. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in bell pepper, peas and hot sauce. Cover again with the same plastic wrap and microwave on MEDIUM for 18 minutes, until the broth is absorbed and rice is tender.

Nutritional Information
140.6 calories - this is without fish/meat added so you'd need to add your protein to the overall calculation
Fat - 1.9g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 336.1
Carbs - 26.6g
Dietary fiber - 3.9g
Protein - 5.8g

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks. My husband was born in Spain and his mom used to make it for him. I have been looking for a not too complicated recipe. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharin.
  • motherofabishai
    Options
    This recipe sounds delicious; I'll have to try it.

Thank you for sharing!