That's it.... on low carb?????

Options

Replies

• qzisue
    qzisue Posts: 8
    Options
    IMHO, start with lower carbs 20 net for at least first two weeks.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You asked, so I looked at your diary for last week (except for your cheat day).... and in my opinion it looks really good. Having that big salad for lunch gets you lots of veggies. Would still say to double check your amounts of cheese and make sure you are really only getting an ounce. And be happy with your pound and a half. It really is a good amount of loss.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Scales are also NOT the only way to measure weightloss, in fact it is not very reliable to a certain extent. Have you tried measuring yourself with a tape measure? waist, hips, etc. Do clothes feel much looser? Is it much easier going up the stairs? etc. Taking pictures is great too.

If you have been consistent with exercise and eating moderately, you are on the right track. 1.5 lbs is a healthy weight loss :) In fact, any loss is a good thing!

All the best!

p.s. carbs are not evil. over indulging in any thing IS bad, not just carbs.

My clothes fit a little better! :) Maybe I was just too unrealistic with what I thought I was going to lose. I gave up soda and all. I was just hoping for 2-3 pounds. My sister is eating a little more carbs than me and she lost 4 pounds last week! I know I know you shouldn't compare! lol
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    beans, apple, fiber one bar, yogurt? these are not low carb at all.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Except initially with the dramatic water weight loss, low carb is not any quicker than any other diet. 1 to 2lb a week loss is great.
    Depends on the person and I heartily disagree. My last week before I stopped low carbing for a bit showed a 7 pound loss and it showed in every way. And it stayed off.

And don't use the scale solely, tape measure key areas and log them.

Also LOL at the anti low carbos. You crack me up!
  • chris1529
    Options
    beans, apple, fiber one bar, yogurt? these are not low carb at all.

I wasn't wanting to go crazy low carb lol. I want to still eat healthy food items. Apples are an awesome fruit, beans are packed with fiber, and yogurt is an extremely healthy probiotic. My net carbs range from 60-80g a day. I wasn't wanting to go KETO lol.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    I am against low carb diets so I say eat carbs....As far as the weight loss goes, you should be greatful for the weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Under 100g of carbs is ketogenic diets. The brain uses about 100g of glucose, anything under 100g will increase a ketogenic state.

There is no advantages to eating low carb for weight loss, as you see, it's all about calories, it always will be.

^^ This

Just make sure you stay under your calories and to use your calories to get as much nutrition as you can. The low carb thing truly is a joke unless you have a medical condition.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hated that low carb thing. The diet is miserable, the weight loss drops to nothing after a few weeks, and you gain everything back as soon as you start eating real foods again.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I believe, for most people, that cutting out an entire category of food, such as carbs, is unsustainable. Meaning, you may cut out carbs now and lose a buttload (pardon the pun) of weight. But real life comes along. And real life isn't carb free. Potlucks at church aren't carb free. Mexican food with friends isn't carb free. Celebrating a birthday with family isn't carb free. I believe the best lifestyle change that has any kind of sustainability is everything in moderation. Having said that, if you have a medical problem necessitating the elimination of a category of food, certainly you should follow the advice of your doctor. Otherwise, the old fashioned weight loss method is the best. Eat less, move more.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i don't do keto, but do stay under 75-100 carbs. I don't eat beans or apples every day and I avoid flavored yogurts and Fiber one bars, but that's due to diabetes and some food intolerances. I'd suggest a greater emphasis on veggies in general, but overall think you're fine. 1.5 pounds in a week is cause to celebrate.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Just decided, after reading all the comments, that I am going to alternate my lunches. One day I will have PB on wheat bread and then the next day I will have my chicken salads. I will still strive at keeping my carbs lower than 100g a day. I just realized, again... after reading the comments and all, I need to be satisfied with my 1 1/2 pound weight loss. Also, I want low carbs (under 100g) but I also want to keep healthy foods that helps our bodies run properly! :) I'm glad that I posted this post cause honestly all the comments have helped me realize this more!
  • chris1529
    Options
    i don't do keto, but do stay under 75-100 carbs. I don't eat beans or apples every day and I avoid flavored yogurts and Fiber one bars, but that's due to diabetes and some food intolerances. I'd suggest a greater emphasis on veggies in general, but overall think you're fine. 1.5 pounds in a week is cause to celebrate.

My grandma had diabetes and she eat an apple a day. Her doctor told her that it was good and that she had the cleanest colon he had ever seen. I've honestly though about following a diabetic diet. I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies and they told me to go no higher than like 125-140g of carbs a day. What do you normally eat? What foods have the greatest benefits for diabetes?
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    You're upset you lost 1.5 lbs in one week!?

This
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lol... what kind of results were you expecting in a week?? 1.5 lbs is awesome.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah... what exactly were you expecting?
  • chris1529
    Options

I guess I was comparing myself to my sister lol. She lost 4 pounds last week and she ate a little more carbs than I did! But I know.... we shouldn't compare.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Low carb is scary because I don't understand it or refuse to believe it can work

There, fixed just about every anti low carb reply here.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I guess I was comparing myself to my sister lol. She lost 4 pounds last week and she ate a little more carbs than I did! But I know.... we shouldn't compare.

I bet 2.5 of those 4 lbs was excess water weight. Don't stress yourself. You're doing great.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How low is your low carb? To see the most low carb results, you need to be <50 g or so per day, with no meal over 20 g.

Worst idea ever....... don't do this.

Carbs are just one source of energy. If you go super low-carb, your body could start burning lean muscle instead of fat.

Just eat a good balance of carbs, protein, lower fat, with a small deficit in overall calories, and exercise. You will lose at a steady, healthy rate.