Nursing Mom

julieparent
julieparent Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
So, I'm confused about my calorie intake because I am nursing my 3 month old. I have read that breastfeeding moms should consume 500 more calories per day to keep up their milk supply, but I am only nursing when I am not at work. That means I am only nursing on average of 3 times a day, as opposed to other moms who may feed their babies 8 times. Any ideas of what I should tack on for extra calories I can consume? I certainly don't want to assume too many as that would defeat the pursose of tracking.

Replies

• SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    I just recently stopped nursing my now 16 month old daughter. I also only nursed when at home 3-4 times a day. I added 300 calories above my normal calorie intake to allow for milk production. I never had a problem producing enough milk and I was able to gradually lose weight and was down to pre-pregnancy weight within 6 months after giving birth.
  • mowens77
    mowens77 Posts: 36 Member
    I am also a working mom of a 3 month old, and am nursing, I pump twice a day at work and nurse at home I add 250 calories it seems to be doing fine and I haven't had any issue with my milk supply
  • Keep this in mind: your body will deplete nutrients from you, not from your milk supply. You actually have to be pretty malnourished to lessen your milk supply or jeopardize its nutritious value in any way. Just make sure you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy sources of calcium, and you should be good!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Keep this in mind: your body will deplete nutrients from you, not from your milk supply. You actually have to be pretty malnourished to lessen your milk supply or jeopardize its nutritious value in any way. Just make sure you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy sources of calcium, and you should be good!

Agreed on this note too. I didn't add that in my previous post. But I did make sure the calories I was eating were healthy and nutrient rich. I also continued taking my prenatal vitamins the entire time I was nursing.
  • Keep this in mind: your body will deplete nutrients from you, not from your milk supply. You actually have to be pretty malnourished to lessen your milk supply or jeopardize its nutritious value in any way. Just make sure you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy sources of calcium, and you should be good!

Yes your body will deplete from you but your supply can be affected if you drastically cut calories, So I think you should still add some extra calories to your day. I know a few moms who dieted and their supplies tanked. I nurse my 14 month old about 3 times a day so I have added 300 calories to account for it.
  • mowens77
    mowens77 Posts: 36 Member
    Keep this in mind: your body will deplete nutrients from you, not from your milk supply. You actually have to be pretty malnourished to lessen your milk supply or jeopardize its nutritious value in any way. Just make sure you're eating lots of fruits and vegetables and healthy sources of calcium, and you should be good!

Yes, I am also still taking my prenatal vitamins...
This discussion has been closed.