Food "traps" at work and how to cope

Options
2»

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    If it's something that you really want to do, I'd just try to bank enough calories through the week so that you're still on track for the week. Maybe bring a healthy snack to eat before lunch as well so you're not as hungry and won't want to eat as much of the unhealthy lunch on Friday.

As for the snide comments; ignore them. When you loose weight and they start to notice, they'll likely back off the comments.
  • Rstephano
    Options
    These are all great suggestions and it's sad that your co-workers can't support you. How about this one...I work for a major food company that makes cereal, cookies, crackers, chips that is always in the office at all times! Very hard to resist!! Especially when new products come out then I have to try them. Most days I do ok. I keep telling myself "I don't eat that kind of food" since it's not healthy and doesn't fit into my meal plan. Fortunately my co-workers are supportive as they try to keep a healthy lifesyle as well.

Maybe the trick is when they can see you're losing weight, it will inspire them and they will start eating healthier and including healthy options on Fridays.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you'd prefer to take a not-so-awkward and confrontational approach, eat your healthy meal privately (if possible, like at your desk) and serve yourself about a quarter of a normal portion, and just push it around your plate. If you keep up with the conversation and take the occasional bite, it's hard to notice. Usually people are focused on feeding themselves to notice what you're doing. I learned to do this with my ex's granny....I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not eating, but there was not a stick of butter that woman didn't love.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ok, I won't use the word "diet" - let's just say that "lifestyle changes" won't stick if you mentally feel deprived. I'm sorry, but how much would it suck to be sitting there munching on a carrot while seeing and smelling all this far yummier food that everyone else is eating? I wouldn't be very happy doing that. Instead, I'd make room for the yummier food. I would take a small portion, I'd get rid of excess calories that I won't miss (like removing cheese as suggested). I'd exercise like heck (maybe throw in an evening workout in addition to my morning workout) and I'd eat very light meals the rest of the day. Celebrate Friday with your coworkers and fit it into your healthier lifestyle - you can do both!

FWIW, Mondays are the meal day at my work and I do participate. My work is also awful about the random cake, doughnuts, Halloween candy, cookies, etc., and those I can usually resist by just staying out of the kitchen while they're out for grabs.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I work in a dr's office and we have lunch provided at least once a week. Luckily most of my co workers are in weight watchers so they relate to the need to avoid prepared food, even if they chose to eat it. It's difficult and ppl will give you funny looks, but stick to what works for you and politely refuse it. In a few short weeks they'll see the differance in you and no matter how snide the remarks were they'll know why.
    When candy is handed out I take some and pocket it, and say I'll just save for it later. Then I bring home to my hubby who gobbles it down for me. Every now and again I'll eat one, but I find it very difficult to say no to number two, three, and more after i give in just once.
    If I really want to eat it I chose lowest cal choice and take small portions

Let the haters hate, just smile, keep calm, and carry on.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If you know what is likely to be available for the lunch, you can always plan for it. Otherwise bring your own food.

I used to enjoy snide remarks when I worked in an office (I work at home now). I enjoy being different, and snide remarks proved that I was different enough to be noticed. For example, we'd have a once-per-month birthday party for the employees who had birthdays that month, and I'd show up for the "happy birthday" song, then I'd go take my walk or whatever. Every once in awhile, someone would bring something that I just loved, and I'd stay for a piece.