Need some dinner ideas

Options
brentmg
brentmg Posts: 4 Member
Like most I am tired of the same old, same old. Baked or grilled chicken breast, steamed vegatable and salad is getting old. Chicken stir fry is getting there too.

Anyone have a good change of pace dinner they can suggest?

Replies

• krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    How about soup or stew? Chicken cacciatore? Lasagne with veggies (such as zucchini, eggplant, or portobello mushrooms) subbed in for some layers of the carbolicious noodles, plus extra veggies added into the sauce?
  • Allisonisme
    Allisonisme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a Facebook account there is a page I have liked and follow that posts wonderful healthy recipes. It is called Skinny slow cooker. The website is skinnyms.com Lots of crock-pot recipes for dinner ideas, that are easy and not so boring.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Either lean beef, chicken or shrimp fajitas with lots of crisp onions, peppers and fresh pico de gallo on Mission extra thin corn tortillas (80 cals for 2) or over shredded lettuce like a salad. Yummy :)
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This is definitely soup/stew weather for me...so cold and rainy! Have you tried skinnytaste.com?

This week's dinners are going to be:
    rice paper roll ups - grilled chicken and julienned veggies dipped in peanut satay
    quinoa salad
    beef stew
    pan seared tilapia with veggies
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i make a salsa that can go on everything.
    onion
    tomato
    cilantro
    jalapeno or habenero peppers
    salt and pepper

completely delish, healthy and spices up any meal.

You can actually make a healthy mexican dinner without the cheese. Healthy beef or shrimp tacos are amazingly tasty.
    Also, pizza using a whole wheat tortilla shell, some homemade tomato sauce, a bed of arugula, other veggies, a bit of cheese (keep it to a minimum) boom, amazing and healthy pizza.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Either lean beef, chicken or shrimp fajitas with lots of crisp onions, peppers and fresh pico de gallo on Mission extra thin corn tortillas (80 cals for 2) or over shredded lettuce like a salad. Yummy :)

Sounds yummy!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you have a Facebook account there is a page I have liked and follow that posts wonderful healthy recipes. It is called Skinny slow cooker. The website is skinnyms.com Lots of crock-pot recipes for dinner ideas, that are easy and not so boring.

I have to second Skinnyms.com, and add that when I'm ready for something new and different, I usually start with skinnytaste.com.
  • shalim1972
    shalim1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, salad ( no dressing ) is crucial on your diet, tons of it, they help you push the body's unneeded matter . If you made a commitment with your self to stay healthy, you will find the love on a good salad. Play with different types of green leaves to make it different and you will never be bored. Try adding grains like chick peas and such.

*Good alternatives to salad are Edamame on the pod, get it at the groceries on the frozen foods isle, you cook them on the microwave, sprinkle a bit of salt (over the pods) if desired, and they are very filling on the side of 5 to 6oz of meat, or even when you crave a snack, they taste yummy and satisfy your brain yes your brain. if you have left overs you can take them out of the pods and add them to your salad.

*Avocado is another excellent filler upper, full of great nutrition, haas are a pretty good variety I eat 1/4 to 1/2 as a filling side, slice it sprinkle salt or red pepper, save the other half for your salad the next day cut in chunks and you will be satisfied for hours. Even on the side of eggs in the morning, or any meal...Love avocado.

*From India there are MUNG BEANS... this is one of the best appetite and stomach resetters I know. Super healthy. From the grains, one of the highest in protein contents and one of the lowest in carb contents. They taste like green lentils. You can look up the nutritional value and will be amazed. Slow boil for 45 min 1cup of beans on 4 cups of water, with tumeric, mustard seeds, garlic, cumin, onions, pinch of salt, a bit of ginger, and any other spices to your like. The spices are crucial on this dish. Try eating it for 4 days for breakfast lunch and dinner, as much as you need to eat (they are very filling you will not need to eat much) and then go back to your regular diet, and to reset you can repeat after a week for 24 hours. You will not crave sweets, it is amazing how these also reset you brain. I have added these to my diet and when I feel a bit off on my eating habits I do the 4 days and it helps me a great deal.

* Sprinkle herbs and spices on your salad for added flavors, spices have many properties from curbing appetite,to anti-inflamatory look up for their individual values, there is a variety of sites that will inform you. Research is your best tool.

Happiness is a choice, but believe it or not, a big factor of your happiness is what you eat (diet, exercise, fun, love, etc).

Good luck!
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Like most I am tired of the same old, same old. Baked or grilled chicken breast, steamed vegatable and salad is getting old. Chicken stir fry is getting there too.

Anyone have a good change of pace dinner they can suggest?

Try this --

Crockpot Chicken with Black Beans and Cream Cheese
    Nutrition Info
    Calories: 347.3
    Fat: 2.8g
    Carbohydrates: 39.3g
    Protein: 42.9g

Ingredients
    4 Frozen boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 can corn, drained
    1 -15 oz jar of your favorite salsa
    4 oz fat free cream cheese

Directions
    Place all ingredients EXCEPT for cream cheese in the crockpot (yes, the chicken goes in FROZEN). Cook on high 4-5 hours.
    Then, put the cream cheese on top, and leet sit for 1/2 hour. Serve!
    Most people were serving over noodles or tortilla chips, or brown rice. One person made double and then used the leftovers as filling for a wrap. Yum!

Number of Servings: 4
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    CURRY! All the spices have almost no calories and its totally different! I did this one a couple of nights ago, its a little involved but it will definitely break up the monotony and you could totally leave the butter out if you are worried about it.

http://indian.food.com/recipe/beef-or-lamb-vindaloo-76372

I made this saag on the side, its like creamed spinach but spiced! You can leave the paneer out, I did because I didnt want to bother making it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/saag-paneer-spinach-with-indian-cheese-recipe/index.html

Traditionally this is all eaten with rice and naan but I didnt bother to keep carbs down.
  • vkneefel
    vkneefel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a really good soup for the crock pot. I used a spicy turkey sausage instead of the kielbasa.... They have a lot of great recipes and ideas on this site:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2196688
    Good luck :)