Sore from general activity in bad shoes... help?

Options
I've been fortunate not to get sore after workout days because I stretch when I'm done. :wink:

However... I went to Comic Con on Saturday and did a lot of walking and standing all day in some very uncomfortable shoes (I thought my boots went better with my costume than my tennis shoes did, and I thought adding my arch supports to them would help... BIG MISTAKE. It felt like I was walking in heels all day!) Now my hips, calves, shins, ankles, and knees STILL hurt... and I know I gotta get back to working out today. :frown:

Any ideas on how to help me not hurt anymore?

Replies

• Judontmesswithme
    Options
    If you are doing something you normally don't do, for an extended period of time, you will actually get sore almost no matter what you do. Wearing good shoes is only part of it. I am an extremely active individual, but when I work at a nursing home per diem every other weekend or so, I'm always sore afterward, because my full time job is in an office.

If you want to minimize it, though, check your diet. Sometimes what you're eating just needs to be modified a little in order to minimize soreness after activity. Check out this article for basic information:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/Sports_nutrition_made_easy.htm
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't wear those boots anymore?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

I'm not going to lie... I totally LOL'd :laugh:

Stretch it out and get back to it!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options

Haha yeah I'm not going to.

I'm still in pain though... mostly my ankles. Anyone know good stretches for ankles?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    A good way to stretch your ankles is to hold out your foot, then raise and drop your toes slowly. Then circle your feet slowly in both directions.

The first time I wear heels after going in flats for months, my feet are always killing me.
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love a good roll around on foam:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/14/equipment/foam-roll

If you can't get access to a foam roller, take a tennis ball and roll it around your sore bits. It should help with the soreness. Feel better, and hope you had fun at Comic Con.