Waterproof Calorie Counter

I need to get a heart rate monitor/calories burned (I'm new to all this) and I just left 24 hour fitness and was going to get a BodyBugg but after coming home to do a little research on it, I see that there is a monthly subscription to even be able to use it. So that's a little bit of a deterrent, but the main thing for me is I plan on doing a lot of my exercising in the pool. Does anyone know of any reliable calorie counter type thing that I could use for swimming? Thanks!

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Finnis makes a watch device that measures stroke counts and laps, etc., that has been on my wish list for a while now.
    Many Polar Heart Rate Monitors are, according to Polar, good for the pool.

One thing to note is that, like anything, every heart rate monitor, calorie tracker, website formula, and pretty much every method of calorie burn calculation is going to be an estimate. Many of the devices, like Finnis or the high-end heart rate monitors, are aimed at people who are training for specific events as opposed to general weight loss and fitness. With that in my, I would recommend for you what I use in the pool - a cheap waterproof digital watch with a timer. Time and intensity, plus the MFP or online calculators, will give you a decent estimate on your calorie burn, without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

Also, regarding the BodyBugg - my wife has a Bodymedia FIT, which is essentially the same thing. She likes it, but after 6 months of hard work and 50+lbs gone, she already knows that it is going to say and only glances at the information when she syncs it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A Polar FT4 or FT7 would work and they are water resistant. You can't push the buttons while in the water but you don't need to.
  • Jeanlk4
    Jeanlk4 Posts: 18
    Yeah I apologize, after searching through the forums more I found an almost identical topic!

I went with the FT7. I couldn't find one really bad criticism and it seems to work great in water. I can't wait to get it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i've used mine in the pool and it's hit or miss. it's water proof but the transmitter doesnt pick up the signal all the time. i think it might have something to do with the skin contacts. i seem top have better luck when i make the strap much tighter than i normally wear it.

and like someone else pointed out, do not press any of the buttons when you're in water