effective, gentle exercise for asthmatics?

Need help with exercise. I go walking everyday with my little girl in her pushchair but it just doesn't seem to be proving effective enough.
Need something that will help me lose weight effectively but something gentle so it won't flair up my asthma.
Going to start taking my daughter (8 months old) swimming on thursdays with my friend and her daughter and I hope this will help with weight loss. Need something to do for the rest of the week though!

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks x

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Need help with exercise. I go walking everyday with my little girl in her pushchair but it just doesn't seem to be proving effective enough.
    Need something that will help me lose weight effectively but something gentle so it won't flair up my asthma.
    Going to start taking my daughter (8 months old) swimming on thursdays with my friend and her daughter and I hope this will help with weight loss. Need something to do for the rest of the week though!

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks x
    Walking and swimming are good. Try walking a bit faster every week until you know your limit.
    Swimming is great cardio. Water running is good too.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    as an asthmatic. I suggest that you continue exercising, but when you feel that you are running out of breathing space, slow down and take a few deep breaths, imagining your lungs expanding. that's what works for me. I try to push myself a little further every day, but not over do it and go into a full blown attack.

I am here for you if you need some support.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Can you carry her in a harness around your chest or middle and have your arms free? If so, carry a 5lb dumbbell in each hand and curl as you walk.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I have asthma, but it isn't exercise induced. If it isn't exercise induced, you could try working out harder. I actually feel best when I run because the exercise endorphins help dilate your bronchial tubes. It may not feel great afterwards though, depending on your system.

Be careful about swimming. The chemicals in the pool make my asthma worse.