Paleo Diet?

Options
I'm thinking of starting this and am looking for advice. For those that are doing this diet how do you like it? I know it is a lifestyle change as well so was it difficult at first? Thank you in advance for the help.

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    NOW, it can be a fantastic and powerful tool should you choose to follow it and if it works for you. I love it and when I do follow it faithfully I consistently lose 10lb a month or more. I still have 50 to go but lost 80 since the first of the year. That's with 2 months of break in between. I always miss rice and potatoes but every two weeks I gorge on the stuff I miss for one meal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Let me say this first.

IN before every low carb/paleo zealot makes things up about the diet, carbs and processed foods. Ignore them.

Fixed
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Not not worth it :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Let me say this first.

IN before every low carb/paleo zealot makes things up about the diet, carbs and processed foods. Ignore them.

Fixed

agreed
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If paleo doughnuts existed I'd go paleo
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy does not require a diet quite so extreme.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have heard this works very well and the people I know who have done it have had amazing results....I just cant do it...its too involved and I'm way too lazy for it. The more restrictions I have, the worse I do....so I just stick with IIFYM and I lose just fine. I may not be doing 10 pounds a month or crazy stuff like that, but I'll take my 1 pound a week and be happy.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    There are numerous ways to eat to be healthy, and there is no evidence that the paleo diet is any better/healthier than any other ways to eat or other diets out there. However, many people find it easier to follow and helps them discover new foods. Most would agree that the most sustainable method of eating healthy is to find what works for you, makes you feel good, and helps you stick to eating healthier most of the time. If that's paleo or some version of it, then go for it, but don't be fooled by the health claims people make about it. They are mostly based on anecdotal evidence.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Low carb is scary because I don't understand it or refuse to believe it can work

Fixed

You are so right! (It's fun no??)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting this and am looking for advice. For those that are doing this diet how do you like it? I know it is a lifestyle change as well so was it difficult at first? Thank you in advance for the help.

Whenever I see posts like this, my first reaction is why do you want to start this? Is there something that caught your eye? A friend or family member, a success story that inspired you? What is the reason that you're choosing this particular life style change now?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Low carb is scary because I don't understand it or refuse to believe it can work

Fixed

You are so right! (It's fun no??)

But you understand it, right? Please explain what weight loss or fat loss advantage low carb or paleo has over any other diet, keeping calories constant between the two. Or is it just wizardry?
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes I have some long distance friends who have started it. I am also allergic to wheat, rye, and barley but have been eating those foods anyways. I need to get the things that I am allergic to out of my diet once and for all. So in looking at different diets this was something that caught my attention. I am just curious how others liked it, if you did or didn't, why you liked it. I'm trying to get more input rather than just what their websites say. =)

Whenever I see posts like this, my first reaction is why do you want to start this? Is there something that caught your eye? A friend or family member, a success story that inspired you? What is the reason that you're choosing this particular life style change now?
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on this. I just recently found out that I am allergic to wheat, rye and barely. I am having to cut all of that out of my diet which is not easy by any means. ;) I have some long distance friends that have started this diet but they are on the extreme side. I have done some online research as well. I just wanted to get some input from people who love it and hate it. I think having as much information as possible is the best. =)
    There are numerous ways to eat to be healthy, and there is no evidence that the paleo diet is any better/healthier than any other ways to eat or other diets out there. However, many people find it easier to follow and helps them discover new foods. Most would agree that the most sustainable method of eating healthy is to find what works for you, makes you feel good, and helps you stick to eating healthier most of the time. If that's paleo or some version of it, then go for it, but don't be fooled by the health claims people make about it. They are mostly based on anecdotal evidence.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Yes I have some long distance friends who have started it. I am also allergic to wheat, rye, and barley but have been eating those foods anyways. I need to get the things that I am allergic to out of my diet once and for all. So in looking at different diets this was something that caught my attention. I am just curious how others liked it, if you did or didn't, why you liked it. I'm trying to get more input rather than just what their websites say. =)

Like you, I am working out some of my own digestion issues. I believe the culprit is both gluten and lactose for me. So I am experimenting with eliminating foods that contain these for a week or two to see if that is what the issue is. However, I suggest just eliminating or limiting foods that give you the symptoms you experience and leave the labels off of your diet. There are so many variations of different "diets" these days it's likely you'll make yourself crazy deciding if something is paleo or not, just as many people drive themselves nuts with the idea of only eating "clean" foods or counting some carbs and not others.

In short, if gluten is a problem for you, don't eat it. Skip the diet labels.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    But you understand it, right? Please explain what weight loss or fat loss advantage low carb or paleo has over any other diet, keeping calories constant between the two. Or is it just wizardry?

Nah no wizardry. A debatable small benefit for the body having to convert protein and fat to energy but for me, not eating carbs lowers my hunger and cravings allowing me to be more on par with my diet. It helps me. In the end, that is the only thing that matters.

If it works for you, do it. If not, do something else. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone head. I no longer have high blood pressure, high cholesterol. Was it low carb, or was it the exercise and weight loss? Who cares. It works for me. No need to belittle people for expressing things that helps them. That is what I am sick of on MFP. Children who insist on crapping on everyone with an opinion or experience that differs from theirs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on this. I just recently found out that I am allergic to wheat, rye and barely. I am having to cut all of that out of my diet which is not easy by any means. ;) I have some long distance friends that have started this diet but they are on the extreme side. I have done some online research as well. I just wanted to get some input from people who love it and hate it. I think having as much information as possible is the best. =)

I would suggest maybe checking out one of the paleo groups on MFP. I'd also suggest ignoring posts from anyone that says this is the healthiest diet or the best way to lose weight. They will be the zealots and we all know there are a variety of healthy diets and any diet is only "best" if it's best for you. Look for advice from people who are open minded about Paleo and other diets.

You also probably need to ask yourself if you will be happy not eating grains, diary, peanuts and beans. If not, you may consider another diet or the less restrictive Primal, instead of Paleo. There are gluten free grains such as rices and quinoa, so you don't have to give up all grains to go gluten free.

I have not tried Paleo as I would not be happy without grains and especially unhappy without beans and peanut butter, so I can only offer the basic advice that you consider all factors including personal statisfaction when deciding what type of diet to follow. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm just here to oversee this discussion to ensure it covers the obligatory "paleo" thread topics and reaches its inevitable demise/conclusion.

Carry on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My wife and I do this diet because she has a gluten intolerance. I don't do 100% paleo because I can't give up my weekly chipotle burrito's. I am more like 80/20 or 85/15. Now this diet wont' give you any more success over a normal diet (let me state that) but I will note, this diet has helped me cut my sodium in half, which I enjoy. I will note also, this is NOT a low carb diet. Anyone who thinks it is, haven't researched. I eat over 200g of carbs a day (lots of fruits and veggies). Most low carb diets are under 100g's and unless you have an intolerance, there is NO reason to restrict carbs that much. Also, I am losing weight at the same rate as I was before (about .5lb per week since I already have fairly low body fat).

My wife picked up a few cook books (to include a slow cooker one) and I love almost every single recipes. There are some amazing country style ribs, a great chili and an amazing banana bread. The one downside to this diet, it's expensive as you have to cook stuff with more expensive ingredients to stay paleo (coconut oils, almond/coconut flours) and lots of meat. But I will note, getting away from gluten has been huge for my wife. She no longer takes naps during the day and has been pretty energetic (I won't say this is from going to paleo.. it's from staying away from gluten).
  • dihahey
    Options
    It is actually a very healthy way of eating. The SAD is full of processed fake foods. Paleo brings us back to the basics. You end up getting your carbohydrates from vegetables and small amounts of fruit. Organic, free range meats if possible. Taking out sugar. It really helps to stabilize your blood sugars and reduce cravings. I think it is a great way to eat. There is of course the 80/20 rule to just about everything.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I accidentally eat Paleo (except for a slushie now and then).

Because of allergies.

Anyway. I feel great on this diet!!! Don't think there's anything wrong with it if you choose it. However, I wouldn't choose it if I didn't have to. :P It's damned inconvenient.