BMI

Options
So, my question to everyone is what do you think about BMI and is it something I should take much stock in? I'm 5'9" and for my "healthy, normal" BMI I'm supposed to weigh 165 pounds. I should also mention that I am 40 years old and a large frame woman. I have set my own goal weight at 190 pounds which if I remember right would still put me at "OBESE" in BMI standards. My personal feeling is that I want to get to 190 and see how I feel. If I really need to lose another 25 pounds or not. Would love to hear you input and opinions : )

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    I am shorter than you, but large framed as well. So far, I like to know the number, because it is another thing that has been going down, but all in all, I would hold less stock in it. Get into a healthy Body Fat % than BMI. BMI is an old school way of thinking.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The difference in the weight of bones between a large frame and a small frame is really negligible so don't fool yourself that you have 25 extra pounds of bones. How did you decide you are large framed? If you're using the wrist measurement be aware that as you lose weight your wrist gets smaller because there's fat under your skin.

Body Fat% is a better estimate of where you should be but 190 lbs at 5'9" seems heavy to me. My daughter is 6' and at 165 lbs is starting to be on the pudgy side.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So, my question to everyone is what do you think about BMI and is it something I should take much stock in? I'm 5'9" and for my "healthy, normal" BMI I'm supposed to weigh 165 pounds. I should also mention that I am 40 years old and a large frame woman. I have set my own goal weight at 190 pounds which if I remember right would still put me at "OBESE" in BMI standards. My personal feeling is that I want to get to 190 and see how I feel. If I really need to lose another 25 pounds or not. Would love to hear you input and opinions : )

I know how you feel. I've been really large my whole life, and my current goal is 180 (I'm 5'8"). When I get there, I'll reassess where I'm at, how I feel, and where I should set a new goal (I'll probably check with a doctor as well).