Recording exercise calories burned

Options
2»

Replies

• ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I had less of a problem when I paid less attention to the exercise calories and eating them back.

I have my calorie goal set at a certain amount, 1753, and I enter my exercise here on MFP and I may adjust it to what my HRM says if I even wear it.

I exercise max an hour and a medium intensity. I try to eat 1753 calories a day. Some days I am under (not by much) and some days I am over (most of the time) . I look at my exercise as a bit of a diet cushion to fit in some stuff that might be 'bad' or 'treats' but I like having that balance.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think in the beginning I trusted MFP (before I found the Message Boards and learned the Error of My Ways), and I definitely lost weight! You can attribute that to just doing something new or no longer inhaling french fries (or at least taking a breath occasionally), but I definitely had some solid losses. These days I do more specific research into my most common activities to know what I burn--i.e. for my size, I've learned that I burn 100 cal/mile ran and about 65 cal/mile walked. If it's something I do less often (workout DVD, shopping, etc) I take about 80% of the calories MFP gives me.

Or, of course, you could go the general TDEE path--calculate your TDEE and eat 20% below it in order to lose. It removes the exercise calorie factor altogether.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, when I'm on the elliptical trainer at home, it says I burn around 520 calories for 30 minutes, depending on what incline I use, MFP says I burn 349. So I use the MFP number, I don't have a HRM so I don't know which number is the correct one.

I wish this was my case. I rather it say I burn less than I really do.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    <~~~ Lost 63lbs using only the mfp numbers, eating 1600 calories, and eating back exercise calories.

That's good to know. Congrats on your loss!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has responded. It's helpful.