Experiments of One

Options
SueInAz
SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
The following short article was written by the owner of a shoe store, and co-founder of a race in my area.. It really hit home with me because I just ran a half marathon last weekend at a little slower than my normal pace due to a very large hill/small mountain in the middle of the course. However, the winner ran that race at a 5:06 pace. 5:06 for 13.1 miles with a 509 foot elevation change in less than 1.5 miles right in the middle! To me that is just unbelievable. While I'm envious of those who take to running so naturally, I'm at peace with the knowledge that I'll always be one of those who finish near the back of the race.

Experiments Of One

That is really what each of us is, an experiment of one. This is especially true as it relates to our running. Nobody else has your exact feet or biomechanics. Your body's oxygen delivery system (VO2max) was genetically determined for you at birth, and can be enhanced by only 10-15% through specific training. An Olympic marathoner may go out for a “jog” and run 10 miles at a 6 minute per mile pace, while my comfortable long run pace used to be closer to 10 minutes per mile.

Many of us get injured when we try to be more like other runners and less like ourselves, thinking that “if they can do it, so can I”. A friend of mine is two weeks younger than I am, very similar height and weight and started running as an adult, just like I did. You could look at the two of us standing side by side and not see a lot of differences. However there are huge differences. He has nearly perfect biomechanics and great running anatomy and I am extremely bow-legged, have high, rigid arches and a body that does not absorb the shock of running very well. His VO2max is in the mid 60s and mine is 44. He has rarely ever had a running injury while I have had more than my share trying to be more like him and other runners that I have admired.

I will never be able to run stride for stride with my friend, but I can give the same effort that he does. And while my effort may generate a different pace than his I have learned to celebrate the effort and appreciate the pace that effort generated.

I hope you will too.

John Corbett