Night shift and how to eat

Options
Hello! I have been an MFP member for a while, but have been "off the band wagon" for about 6 months and I'm trying to get back on track. I work 12 hour night shifts and sometimes am up for 24+ hours.
I recently started running again and am doing C25k three days a week as of today.
I drink a TON of caffeine: coffee and Diet Coke.
I am open to tips about how to eat. Not sure if it's okay to eat through the night and such. I am worried that I'm not having a fasting period for my body to "reset" so to speak.

My diary is open, but I haven't been logging for some time now.
Any positive advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

:flowerforyou: Laura

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been an MFP member for a while, but have been "off the band wagon" for about 6 months and I'm trying to get back on track. I work 12 hour night shifts and sometimes am up for 24+ hours.
    I recently started running again and am doing C25k three days a week as of today.
    I drink a TON of caffeine: coffee and Diet Coke.
    I am open to tips about how to eat. Not sure if it's okay to eat through the night and such. I am worried that I'm not having a fasting period for my body to "reset" so to speak.

I would eat as you normally do, being mindful of total intake. It's not necessary to "reset" anything. Make sure you are eating the appropriate quantity of calories and nutrients. Whether you eat them at night or during the day isn't going to make an appreciable difference.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have worked night shift straight for 10 years now, it is not as easy as everyone who doesn't work nights may think. You have to completely re train yourself. I try to eat light. I will eat dinner at a normal time 5-6 with my hubby. I bring a light snack, fruit veggie etc for midnight snack and at 4-5am I eat heavier so I will be able to sleep during the day. I like leftovers so that is good, otherwise a whole wheat sandwhich etc. I pack lots of small snacky things like little bags of pretzels, a few chunks of cheese and fruit, greek yogurt and I keep it in my fridge at work for when I need to snack in between. Its doable, once you get a routine down that works for you! Consistency is the most important thing for nightshifters as far as eating and sleeping goes and I have lots of experience with that! Also log the same as you have always done.