Your Bowl of Greens

Options
13»

Replies

• ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bacon make everything better, including salads.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For the veggie part my typical green salad has:

Spring and or baby mixed greens
    Cucumber
    Radish
    Onion
    Tomato
    Mushrooms

Variables:

Protein
    Nuts
    Craisins
    Cottage cheese / Cheese
    Eggs
    Quniona / Tabouli
    Seasoned beans like garbanzo etc
    Pasta
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sprouted beans are very good for you and add a nice crunch to salads. I'm also a fan of spinach salad with candied almond slivers, strawberries, red onion and a little blue cheese crumble. On a green salad I like the aforementioned sprouted bean mix (it's got chick peas, lentils and some other things), cucumber, cherry tomatoes, kale (instead of lettuce - higher source of iron and crunchier), sometimes avocado and a homemade dressing of equal parts soy/apple cider vinegar/oil.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Spinach or field greens, bleu cheese, cranberries, walnuts. apples, pears, green peppers, cucumbers, black olives, hard boiled eggs and occassionally bacon. All usually with a raspberry merlot vinagerette or a pomegranate vinegarrette.
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your salad to elevate it above "rabbit food"?

ETA: This afternoon I am experiencing a bizarre, very-atypical-for-me craving for, of all things, the rabbit food. For lunch I had a big bowl of romaine with roasted bell peppers and feta, followed by a bowl of romaine with picante sauce and crushed pineapple, followed by an encore appearance of the latter. I expect my nose to start twitching any moment now.

Boneless, skinless baked rabbit, bacon, some chicken, sunflower seeds, strips of beef, croutons, and ranch dressing.

I'm sorry, did I read right? Did you say RABBIT? Ewwwww!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Great post. I love salads but after two or three i get bored and just want a bigmac. which is counterproductive :-(
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    chopped up roasted dark meat TURKEY (not the deli stuff)

bacon

tomatoes

avocado
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Variety...sometimes I like a nice iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing, bacon, and cherry tomatoes. That's a meal, not a side.

I also like to buy the clamshells of spinach and arugula together, b/c they stay fresh for a full 2 weeks that way. Then I add crumbled cheese (feta or gorgonzola), sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sometimes some nuts or dried cranberries, etc. Sometimes diced bell peppers or poblano peppers. I like a simple homemade vinaigrette made with fancy olive oils and vinegars (a really good one for fall is tangerine infused olive oil and grapefruit white balsamic. Otherwise I keep a Ken's light options olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing at work.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Typical salad: Lettuce. Onion. Cucumber. A few sprinkles of bacon bits and/or chicken pieces. Mushrooms.

Dunno if that's rabbit food but I think it's super yummy.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A long as it "makes sense"... Pretty much any veggie and most fruits, nuts, seeds, cheese, most any meat.

And I MUST fill the pie plate past the brim.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    First it has to be "real" greens: green or red leaf lettuce, mixed wild greens, romaine and/or spinach...no ice berg. Then I toss in all kinds of stuff. Today it was simply spinach, yellow bell pepper, radish, tomato and sunflower seeds. Yesterday it was greens, avocado, orange bell pepper, tomato, cucumber and ground flax seed.

I don't generally like fruits in my salad, but I do have one salad I'll eat with raisins and it's romaine, avocado, tomato, pine nuts, raisins, a little olive oil, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes and a dash of sea salt (you mix it and let it rest for 10 minutes before eating...and its yummy)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What do you add to your salad to elevate it above "rabbit food"?

ETA: This afternoon I am experiencing a bizarre, very-atypical-for-me craving for, of all things, the rabbit food. For lunch I had a big bowl of romaine with roasted bell peppers and feta, followed by a bowl of romaine with picante sauce and crushed pineapple, followed by an encore appearance of the latter. I expect my nose to start twitching any moment now.

Boneless, skinless baked rabbit, bacon, some chicken, sunflower seeds, strips of beef, croutons, and ranch dressing.

I'm sorry, did I read right? Did you say RABBIT? Ewwwww!

Have you had rabbit? I love rabbits and think they're so cute I squeal when I see them... but goddamn, rabbit is delicious. This whole thread is making me crave it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg and feta cheese. Dressing is either organic ranch or EVOO and vinegar.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    cheese, eggs, lean deli meat, bacon, avocado, nuts, grilled chicken or salmon...the possibilities are only as limited as your imagination.

^^This. I become obsessed with avocados and eggs sometimes. Sunflower seeds are yummy too. Bell peppers, feta cheese, dried cranberries, just depends on the mood and flavor you're looking for. Salad is not as boring as people think :)
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Baby bliss or Romaine, pinch of kale, handful of spinach, boiled egg (chopped), sunflower seeds (shelled) and sometimes chicken breast. I then pour a little Caesar dressing on it. YUM. On a special day I add avocado; perfection!