Anxiety..

Options
InnerFatGirl
InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
Not strictly weight loss related but I need some support. I have moderate depression and anxiety.

Lately, I've been under a lot of stress with a lot of life changes, and the anxiety seems to be getting worse. As I type, I'm having an panic attack and have been, on and off, pretty much all day. I feel like I can't breathe and am having trouble keeping calm.

Just posting here because I'm scared and don't know what else to do. I can't speak to anyone else..

Help?

Replies

• christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went through some pretty traumatic times a few years ago and lingering anxiety seems to be a result of it. I never had it before, so it was new and scary for me. I've noticed that a few things trigger my anxiety (always the following days after), such as, alcohol and social situations. Obviously, for me, not drinking has helped and I asked my doc for an anti-anxiety med to keep on hand for those really rough days. The meds help me a lot since they calm me down, but I only take them when it's really bad.

Anxiety is a pretty horrific feeling, and the best way I can describe the way it makes me feel, is that I have a strong urge to jump out of my own skin and run away forever. My thoughts swirl and I'm restless and find it hard to focus on anything. If your anxiety is as bad as mine, I would really suggest speaking with your doc. There are ways of coping, but it's nearly impossible on your own.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that your going through this, it's no fun :( I have anxiety also and have been seeing a Behavioral Health lady for a few weeks now. Some things I have learned are to place your palms one on top of the other under your chest (diaphragm) and take 3 deep breaths in and out and to come up with coping statements for you to repeat to yourself when having anxiety. "Anxiety is a part of me, it doesn't mean it has to be me" "I control when my anxiety comes and when my anxiety goes"...
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I went through some pretty traumatic times a few years ago and lingering anxiety seems to be a result of it. I never had it before, so it was new and scary for me. I've noticed that a few things trigger my anxiety (always the following days after), such as, alcohol and social situations. Obviously, for me, not drinking has helped and I asked my doc for an anti-anxiety med to keep on hand for those really rough days. The meds help me a lot since they calm me down, but I only take them when it's really bad.

Anxiety is a pretty horrific feeling, and the best way I can describe the way it makes me feel, is that I have a strong urge to jump out of my own skin and run away forever. My thoughts swirl and I'm restless and find it hard to focus on anything. If your anxiety is as bad as mine, I would really suggest speaking with your doc. There are ways of coping, but it's nearly impossible on your own.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I totally relate with that. This is how anxiety feels for me;

I'm scared, terrified, frightened, but I don't know why. It's sudden, jumping out at me out of nowhere, making me restless and on edge. Little things can irritate me, make me feel more anxious. Even just music being too loud or lights too bright. Often, I feel like I can't breathe, like someone is sitting on my chest. This can last for a long time, and happens suddenly. I categorise this is the way I have panic attacks. I also often can't catch my breath, and my heart feels like it's ... electrified, and beating fast, but it usually isn't.

Even when not feeling anxious directly, I often have thoughts of death or think I will die soon. I often worry obsessively also.

Yes, you're right, I can't cope on my own, but I don't know how else to get help :( my doctor's just stuck me on 20mg Fluoxetine for my depression without addressing my anxiety and I am currently battling with my local borough to get psychotherapy. It's virtually impossible on the NHS.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I'm sorry that your going through this, it's no fun :( I have anxiety also and have been seeing a Behavioral Health lady for a few weeks now. Some things I have learned are to place your palms one on top of the other under your chest (diaphragm) and take 3 deep breaths in and out and to come up with coping statements for you to repeat to yourself when having anxiety. "Anxiety is a part of me, it doesn't mean it has to be me" "I control when my anxiety comes and when my anxiety goes"...

Thank you for this, hon. I'm going to try that now..
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the supplement GABA? I have GAD and social anxiety. Also mild OCD. Taking the GABA supplement daily really helped calm me down. It took about 5 days of taking it daily for me to notice a real difference. I just took one supplement each morning. It helped so much!!

Besides that, my therapist told me to go through a "thought record". First, look at what is really making you anxious. Then really think about it. Why are you scared? What is the worst thing that could happen? And is that really likely to happen?
    ex. I get super anxious when I have to do a presentation in front of my coworkers. Well, what could happen? I could mess up. I could give a bad presentation. What's the worst that could happen? My supervisor might talk to me about it. But it's not like I'm going to lose my job over it. My supervisor would probably give me feedback so I could improve next time. So is it really that bad? No, not really.
    This won't solve EVERYTHING but it can help some of your irrational anxiousness.

I'm still working through my anxiety but hopefully I helped a bit. :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Have you tried the supplement GABA? I have GAD and social anxiety. Also mild OCD. Taking the GABA supplement daily really helped calm me down. It took about 5 days of taking it daily for me to notice a real difference. I just took one supplement each morning. It helped so much!!

Besides that, my therapist told me to go through a "thought record". First, look at what is really making you anxious. Then really think about it. Why are you scared? What is the worst thing that could happen? And is that really likely to happen?
    ex. I get super anxious when I have to do a presentation in front of my coworkers. Well, what could happen? I could mess up. I could give a bad presentation. What's the worst that could happen? My supervisor might talk to me about it. But it's not like I'm going to lose my job over it. My supervisor would probably give me feedback so I could improve next time. So is it really that bad? No, not really.
    This won't solve EVERYTHING but it can help some of your irrational anxiousness.

I'm still working through my anxiety but hopefully I helped a bit. :)

What is it made from?

Again, also sorry to hear of your difficulties :(

The thought record sounds good, but I don't know how it can help me with these random panic attacks and non-focused anxiety. I do get very anxious about anything worth worrying about, but this is more unsettling ..
  • ellofitness
    Options
    I have GAD and it is a hard thing to live with, because you are so restless and it is hard to know what to do. There is a supplement I found helps that is a magnesium powder you mix with water called CALM. It can be found at wholefoods. If you still have trouble you should reach out to a dr, though.
  • k8zor
    k8zor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? It may sound silly, but learning to focus on the breath, to be mindful and present has DRAMATICALLY improved my day-to-day anxiety, even when I don't regularly practice yoga. When I start to feel an attack coming on, I take a few super deep breaths through my nose and try to only focus *only* on breathing in and out, until my heartbeat gets back to a normal pace. It's not the end-all cure for anxiety, but it can help get your mind off all that worrying.
  • CurvyJen384
    Options
    As previously mentioned, yoga can help a ton.

Everyone's different, but what works for me is making lists. I have really bad anxiety and panic attacks, and I find that if I'm on the verge of a panic attack making a list can help. Like if I'm in a class and all of a sudden get that overwhelming feeling, I'll make a grocery list, or a list of what I need to get done for the day. Being about to distract my mind and put things in an organized manner always helps me start to breathe normally again. Or if it's started by a really specific thing or choice, then I'll make a pro/con list. Once it's on paper, my mind feels a lot better.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Yep, chronic anxiety sufferer here. I've noticed that I seem to have some sort of social anxiety now too, seeing as I rarely go out with friends anymore. When i'm around people I don't know too well I get incredibly anxious and paranoid.
    I feel for you. Anxiety is crippling!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely talk to a doctor...most cities have some sort of free or sliding scale mental health clinic/s or see your minister, priest, etc. I had panic attacks, last year I had one so bad I couldn't leave my house, took me 30 minutes to talk myself into getting to work...I got help.

Also, what others said about exercise, breathing, thought diary...etc.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've also been going through this lately (on and off for the last 10 years). After a bad stint on Fluoxetine I vowed never to go on antidepressants again. I understand they work for many people but they did not help me, you have to find what works for you.

I find avoiding the news (unless there is an event that directly affects me e.g. a storm in the area) helps. This means staying away from morning/evening TV, internet news sites, newspapers, even some magazines. I have an over active imagination and was picturing every event happening to me, not good! Also when I eat something I don't read or watch anything whilst I am eating, or even drinking a cuppa. This is because when you eat your brain pattern slows and you absorb whatever you are reading/watching differently. It's better to enjoy the moment of having a meal anyway!

Also check your thyroid activity, vitamin d and b levels. Too many of us in today's world have low vitamin d, ever wonder why so many of us are suffering from depression/have digestion issues/allergies etc? My theory is that we don't do enough these days. 80-90% of the day is spend indoors/in the car. We need to get out in the open and breath more often!

I wish you all the best and hope that you can come through this a stronger person :-)
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Honestly talking from experience, you need to talk to a professional and possible be put on medication. I am and it's helped a lot!
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hope you're doing well. I started getting major panick attacks that actually put me in the hospital, the summer after my dad died. I was already suffering from depression on and off prior to that, as well as minor OCD, which seems to be a pattern with 95% of the people who suffer from panick attacks. When I started getting them, the doc put me back on Effexor, which i was previously using for depression. Well, if you've ever been on it, you know it's hell to come off, so I was looking for a natural alternative. I was doing some research of what NOT to take with Effexor, and found you shouldn't take 5-HTP because it causes a seratonin overdose basically. So I figured with that info, 5-HTP did exactly what Effexor does, so I quit taking Effexor, and the next day started 5-HTP. I was totally fine, no break downs, no brain shivers, no tiredness, I felt perfectly normal. Also, during seceral panick attacks, I called 911, thinking it was a heart attack. The ambulance driver told me, EXERCISE. A panick attack is a release of addrenalin and exercise actually makes your body use up that addrenalin. Also, when you feel one coming on, DEEP BREATHING, start thinking this mantra, STOP STOP STOP STOP, over and over. The deep breathing will help slow your heart rate back to normal and the mantra will put your mind on something beside the attack, because we all know when you worry about the attack it takes longer. SO, 1. Take 5-HTP. It's actually produced in your body, and those with anxiety or depression aren't getting enough. 2. Exercise. 3. Deep Breathing, Repeating to yourself STOP
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I have had horrible panic attacks since 2006, some I have actually passed out during. Since I began exercising and losing weight, I noticed my anxiety has decreased significantly. It hasn't disappeared, in fact I had a panic attack yesterday after I pushed myself a little too far with my cardio workout. I am on Klonopin, which helps a lot, but I have learned how to take control in most situations by just repeatedly telling myself that I am in control and that the anxiety will not rule my life. Working out, or even taking a short walk helps to drain the adrenaline more quickly. The adrenaline rush is my biggest issue and makes me shake like a leaf. But it gets easier to deal with over time. Develop a mantra of sorts to repeat as many times as necessary, even if you have to say it 500 times. It will help calm your mind and keep the negative thoughts at bay. You are stronger than the anxiety, you control your mind.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking my place in this thread...good advice here. I'm currently on meds and in therapy for panic and anxiety disorders.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    In for advice on this. I suffer from all kinds of anxiety. I'd talk to a doctor......if I was so damned scared what they may say. The thought of admitting it out in the open like that makes me feel physically ill.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The thought record sounds good, but I don't know how it can help me with these random panic attacks and non-focused anxiety. I do get very anxious about anything worth worrying about, but this is more unsettling ..

I've been having panic attacks for a year and a half now and have been in therapy for 10 months, I guarantee you no panic attack is random! There is a lot of comfort in that, actually, as you can always identify and talk yourself down from your triggers. At first it all seemed random to me until I got into therapy and started finding patterns and specific triggers. Then it all made sense.

*hugs* sweetie. I know how bad it can be. I've been the ER for panic attacks. BUT, having said that, it IS treatable and you CAN get better. Feel free to add me on here, I'd love to have some friends from this specific thread, not many people truly understand what panic attacks and general anxiety are really like.
  • ChristinaG100
    ChristinaG100 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi- I started experiencing sudden and extreme panic attacks about 3 years ago. I would not even be able to stand up with how hard my heart was pounding. Going to the doctor I found out that I was extremely anemic and my heart was pounding like heck trying to get oxygen to my body. I've had some ups and downs, and still have some minor attacks that revolve around my cycle, but have felt so much better since I focused on getting enough iron in my diet and taking a vitamin with iron. Its worth checking out especially since I read you're a vegetarian and might not be getting enough iron.
    Good luck- :flowerforyou:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    GABA is supposed to help. Or Calm. You can get stuff like that from any local health store. I have tried L-tyrosine. That helps anxiety too. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.