Just wanted to say hi!

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Rebecca and after a long contemplation decided to join after a bunch of my friends did. I've previously lost about 60lbs on Weight Watchers, and am still a member because I love it so much and I really feel it works (so you won't hear any WW bashing from me), but I find myself getting lax counting points and such, so I just use it as an accountability tool...and it must be working because so far I've kept the weight off for 2 years. But anyway, I wanted to try something different for a while...so here I am. I'm also just finishing my first month of Insanity (last workout before Recovery week will be this Wednesday) and I'm finding that I'm probably not eating enough for the program because I'm used to weight watchers points and eating that way. I'm finding it helpful now to pay more attention to getting enough calories (which is another reason I'm using this, since with WW I'm unfortunately not able to really know how many calories are in something and I'm much to lazy to go look them all up). So ready to lose those last 20 lbs! Let's go!

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds on WW before deciding to switch over completely to MFP! Good luck as you continue your weight-loss journey!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago, but I liked their method and every time I have ever dieted since, I used their basic system and I agree, it does work. I am just not going to pay someone else for me to lose weight. So I do it on my own. My goal on this site, is to learn to maintain. I have never been able to do that successfully but hope to now!
    Welcome
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I think that counting or tracking actual calories is more of a long term solution to weight management. I've been on this site for 200 days now. Logging really isn't a big deal and it takes up a minimal amount of time to be honest. The foods you eat most often are right there up front and center and easy to select from. Logging and continually keeping track of calories also helps you make good decisions when you're in a position when you can't look up foods. Eventually you get to the point that you can pretty much tell about how many calories an item is just by knowing what similar items are. It actually gets easier and easier to do this the longer you log food.

At 6'2" it was easy to hide that I weighed about 250 pounds but I knew and some of my clothes were a tad snug. I got tired of that and seeing signs of a double chin in photographs. Finally had enough and joined this site and, tada! It works. Now sitting at about 210 and it's a snap to maintain this weight. I've thought about dropping down closer to 200 but there's a mental barrier I have to cross to do that. That's might be a bit too thin for me. We'll see. For now I'm keeping 210 as my max and just making slight adjustments as needed, more or less, to sit here.

Being in better shape has helped motivate me to do even more healthy things, like take up running as a hobby. It's so much easier when you don't have so much extra body fat to carry around.

Best of luck to everyone. This isn't an impossible mission. You'll lose a pound here and there and before you know it you'll reach your goal weight. You might have to tweak the recommended calorie totals. Just start with that and reevaluate every couple of weeks if your weight/measurements don't change.